Need opinions on whether or not to buy case or screen protector

Xproplayer

Reaction score
So I am receiving a Droid Razr Maxx tomorrow for my birthday and my parents got me the standard high gloss black silicon case. I will be keeping this phone for well over 1 year probably until my contract is up. I need this phone to last a long time and be able to withstand typical teenager drops. Most of the time when I drop my phone its only around 1 foot max or from my bed to the carpeted floor. I have seen some tests on the gorilla glass as far as scratch resistance but I want my phone to be able to be dragged across gravel roads screen down and not even get a single scuff. So my question is what should I have to protect the phone from 2 foot drops and possible rocks on the screen. For maximum protection I was planning on getting the otterbox commuter and the ArmorSuit MilitaryShield. If I could just use one I would prefer to do that, I would like the phone to be as thin as possible, I don't mind having a screen protector its just a matter of cost for me being a teenager with no job. Any input would be appreciated, thanks Droid Froums!

cbreze

Reaction score
I generally do not care for cases as a rule, but I got one(otter commuter)only because the maxx feels kind of slippery in my hand. It feels much better with the commuter on. Glad I got it. I had the gloss black silicon and it was ok, just not for me after all.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
I just have the gloss silicon... but I am not rough on my phones. I had a naked X for almost 2 years, but the case came with the maxx so I left it on. If you are that hard on your phones I would consider either the commuter or defender and [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] invisibleSHIELD. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You should be able to go to a dealer and feel the phone in the different cases. That can make or break your decision right there. Maybe the fully body [/FONT] invisibleSHIELD with or without the added case (silicon or outterbox) would be a better option for you. [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]

jmack356

Reaction score
Otterbox Commuter here. Awesome case.
Screen protectors are probably unnecessary due to the quality of the "Gorilla Glass", although I did stick the one on that came with the Otterbox.
It may be coming off soon.

DocsDad

Reaction score
I really like my MAXX without a case. Awesome machine and design. Beautiful to look at.

HOWEVER... I use a case. :)

I have a sweet, thin, translucent tpu case on it. Reading for extending periods is more comfortable and pulling in and out of pocket is much safer with the grip. Occasionally, I will try and leave it off but the comfort isn't there. I am a pocket phone guy and don't care for the bigger cases like Otter box. To each their own though.
Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

Ahom314

Reaction score
I have a case for my Razr Maxx, even though the aesthetics of it was really nice, it felt flimsy without a case ( as if I dropped it, it would shatter ). The silicon case I got is pretty thin and has a nice feel to it (6 bucks on ebay). I feel even though it won't full protect my phone from a fall... it'll at least do some shock absorbing ( I hope ).

Screen Protector: No.. my friend has one for the same phone and it completely ruins the touch screen experience. The glass fells extremely sturdy and I never worry about scratching it.

Also I don't have insurance =[ so this lets you know that you seriously don't need a screen protector.

ms4teacher

Reaction score
I have the defender now but, I am currently shopping for another case. The defender, as far as protection is awesome, however it takes the slim/sleek design and makes it look to bulky! I've had more than a few comments about the "VCR" on my hip. I'm headed over to ebay now to find an in-pocket replacement. Good Luck!

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Reference to the OP....

QUIET DROPPING YOUR PHONE!
Your parents work long and hard for that money ..

One day when you have kids you'll understand!

Gravel roads really? I would whoop your aaaaaaaaaa

(What he said. Down there)

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
thaDroidz said:
Reference to the OP....

QUIET DROPPING YOUR PHONE!
Your parents work long and hard for that money ..

One day when you have kids you'll understand!

Gravel roads really? I would whoop your aaaaaaaaaa

I am redneck as they come, but you wanna drag a $200+ down a gravel road... oh man

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Here's my two cents. If you plan on putting your phone in the Vehicle Dock, forget using an Otterbox commuter case. I bought one and it didn't fit all together. I'm going to try installing the InvisibleShield proably tomorrow night.

As it is right now, I've had my phne for about 1 3/4 months. The only damage it has sustained is the protective plastic backing is starting to come off. That's it. I lifted up the plastic, and the phone is not scratched at all, then reapplied it as best as I could. Some people feel that's petty but I like to keep my phone looking as close to as it did at stock (on the exterior), and keep the stickers along with it. I'm fairly rough on my phone, and do not have a screen protector and so far have not had any issues with screen damage. Then again, I'm not exactly 6 feet tall and/or deliberately throwing my phone across a room or off of a balcony to see if it can endure fall damage.

Now I'm kind of curious about the end result, if, someone with a MAXX traveled to Dubai and threw their phone off of the Burj Khalafi, how it would look after hitting the ground. That's about 2,717 or so feet in the air. That, or lost it while skydiving from about that height or heighter.

jtc303

Reaction score
Here's my two cents. If you plan on putting your phone in the Vehicle Dock, forget using an Otterbox commuter case. I bought one and it didn't fit all together. I'm going to try installing the InvisibleShield proably tomorrow night.

As it is right now, I've had my phne for about 1 3/4 months. The only damage it has sustained is the protective plastic backing is starting to come off. That's it. I lifted up the plastic, and the phone is not scratched at all, then reapplied it as best as I could. Some people feel that's petty but I like to keep my phone looking as close to as it did at stock (on the exterior), and keep the stickers along with it. I'm fairly rough on my phone, and do not have a screen protector and so far have not had any issues with screen damage. Then again, I'm not exactly 6 feet tall and/or deliberately throwing my phone across a room or off of a balcony to see if it can endure fall damage.

Now I'm kind of curious about the end result, if, someone with a MAXX traveled to Dubai and threw their phone off of the Burj Khalafi, how it would look after hitting the ground. That's about 2,717 or so feet in the air. That, or lost it while skydiving from about that height or heighter.

I took that plastic backing off like the first 10 minutes I had it lol

Last edited:

jtc303

Reaction score
So the question now is, do we need them or not? What is the benefit of keeping them or throwing them away?
I guess its a little more protection if you want it... it all depends on how you treat your stuff... some people say its luck, I disagree... some people are just more mindful/careful with their belongings, which is why I don't use a case, or a screen protector... don't like them, never have.