Need help understanding clock speed vs voltage/battery life

xxturbowesxx

Reaction score
I guess my question is if I run a ULV 800mhz kernel vs a ULV 1200mhz kernel why does battery life suffer if the run the same voltage? I searched everywhere but couldnt quite come up with a specific answer. It seems to me that a medium voltage 800mhz should drain the battery faster than a ULV 1200mhz or am I wrong.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I guess my question is if I run a ULV 800mhz kernel vs a ULV 1200mhz kernel why does battery life suffer if the run the same voltage? I searched everywhere but couldnt quite come up with a specific answer. It seems to me that a medium voltage 800mhz should drain the battery faster than a ULV 1200mhz or am I wrong.

With every slot up on the cpu the voltage will increase, so a 800Mhz ULV runs at a lower voltage then a 1200MHz ULV if both set at their highest slots.

Here is a great guide: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a.htmlhttp://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a-new-post.html

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which makes you get tired faster, jogging or running? Same thing with the clock speed. That's the trade off; the faster, the more energy used.

OP
X

xxturbowesxx

Reaction score
I understand that a higher clock speed should use more energy but the only way I could see that happening is with higher voltage Tallica answered my question as I thought they were all using the same voltage settings which didnt make sense to me. thanks

I understand the analogy about running vs walking but if both kernals were clocked at 1.5 volts(Not familiar with droid voltage) speed should not be an issue of consumption as they both use the same amount of energy/volts. Will the higher clock speed up the amperage or throughput of the voltage somehow?