need help changing stock battery meter to read for extended battery!!!

joeyx2

Reaction score
Hello all! I want to change my battery meter to read my extended battery. I found this in root explore sys/devices/platform/cpcap_battery/power_supply/battery/battery_charge_design and it has 1390 when u open in text editor but when I change it, it goes right back to 1390. Anyone know how I can edit this file. I have checked all permissions and was in R/W mode but yet it still doesn't change it.

OP
joeyx2

joeyx2

Reaction score
II have even went throw each folder on the way to battery_charge_design and checked all permissions for them and still can't get it to change. Any help would be appreciated.

terrets

Reaction score
I see your using root explore from the other thread. Well when I open it with vi it originally said readonly. So I assume its still read only for you because I was in terminal as the su. If you want to change it with root explore, I assume you will need to go into the terminal and change it so the file is actually read/write for owner root. After you edit it, I would suggest changing it back to readonly..

Im still trying to figure out the escape key in vi... ugh.

OP
joeyx2

joeyx2

Reaction score
I see your using root explore from the other thread. Well when I open it with vi it originally said readonly. So I assume its still read only for you because I was in terminal as the su. If you want to change it with root explore, I assume you will need to go into the terminal and change it so the file is actually read/write for owner root. After you edit it, I would suggest changing it back to readonly..

Vi??? So r u able to change it or are u still working on it.
EDIT: virtual imulator

Last edited:

terrets

Reaction score

Vi??? So r u able to change it or are u still working on it.
EDIT: virtual imulator

Its a text editor...I can change it except I dont know how to get out of insert mode! lol. Pissin me off.

OP
joeyx2

joeyx2

Reaction score
What's the full name of it. I will see what I can do.

tebower

Reaction score
Wait...we have to edit something for the extended battery to work correctly? Mine has been reading fine and lasting twice as long as my regular battery. I have neve heard of editing something. What is the benefit?

OP
joeyx2

joeyx2

Reaction score
Wait...we have to edit something for the extended battery to work correctly? Mine has been reading fine and lasting twice as long as my regular battery. I have neve heard of editing something. What is the benefit?

My battery reads as a stock battery but stays at 5% till it finally does run out of power. My og Droid all I would have to do is reboot phone and it would read around 60% but D2G don't do that I reboot and it still says 5% when I know I have a lot of battery left. We r trying to get the phone to read as a 3500mAh battery instead of 1390mAh which is the stock battery.

OP
joeyx2

joeyx2

Reaction score
Terrets are you on any kinda rom or are you on stock using z4root?

freezyfreaky

Reaction score

To change your control key in Terminal Emulator go to Preferences | Control key.

terrets

Reaction score
Im on the Liberty rom. I actually figured out the escape key for vi, but for some reason it will not save the file(yes i changed permissions). So i downloaded ghost commander and ran it as root and its telling me the file is not editable. This shouldnt be so difficult lol. Might have to edit the file using my pc or something. Im out of ideas for editing it from my phone. Anyone know how we could maybe flash the phone with it?..

Have you been able to edit it with root explorer? I dont want to spend 4bucks on it if I dont need it. I could tell you how to change the file permissions with terminal..then you could try it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
joeyx2

joeyx2

Reaction score
Im on the Liberty rom. I actually figured out the escape key for vi, but for some reason it will not save the file(yes i changed permissions). So i downloaded ghost commander and ran it as root and its telling me the file is not editable. This shouldnt be so difficult lol. Might have to edit the file using my pc or something. Im out of ideas for editing it from my phone. Anyone know how we could maybe flash the phone with it?..

Have you been able to edit it with root explorer? I dont want to spend 4bucks on it if I dont need it. I could tell you how to change the file permissions with terminal..then you could try it.

Not working at all in root explore either changed permissions in every file before I clicked it from /sys. Probably will have to do it from computer. I tried to copy and paste on sd card then edit but it said file was to large. Granted I have over 1000 songs and it is a 16gb sd card.

notauser

Reaction score
Tried changing it with root explorer but wouldn't save even after changing permissions the file must be loaded in the system and that might prevent the saving of the changes also the battery capacity is also present on the uevent file within the same folder my guess is that you have to change the files in the rom befor the system is started but I'm not great at this will keep poking at it see if I can acomplish something

OP
joeyx2

joeyx2

Reaction score
Sweet glade to see some action on this its been making me mad that I never really know how much battery I have left and im starting to see extended battery treads left and right so this would be a good find. Im a noob at this stuff sorta and have limited access to a computer and I wouldn't know what to do when I can get to a computer. It wasn't that bad before with my og Droid cause a reboot seemed to recalculate the battery but the D2G doesn't. If anything can someone find a way to turn off the red flash for low battery so i dont have to deal with that for hours that would be sweet. If I get a message it wont flash green cause its to busy flashing red.:icon_evil:

CH1L1P3PP3R

Reaction score
Thank you for starting this thread! I really hope we can figure this out, as this drives me crazy! Anyway I've read on other random forums that some custom kernels on the og droid caused the seido extended batteries to be ready correctly. However this is obviously not a solution we can peruse on the D2G at the moment. Nothing I've tried has had any luck either.

And about the blinking light. I have tried about every app I can find in the market that claims it can disable the light and nothing has worked. However, for some reason, sometimes when I pull down the notification bar and then press the power button to lock my screen, the light will stop and it will even blink the other colors when I get a notification. This does not work all the time, but it does seem to work fairly well when the phone reading first drops to ten percent and the light first comes on. I'm running fission btw, and I honestly have no idea why this would work but it seems to work for me.