Need a reliable IM client! Suggestions, PLEASE!

droid100

Reaction score
I've tried all of the following IM clients and get disconnected on every one of them. I have come to the conclusion that a reliable IM client does not exist for Android.

At this point, I've given up on finding an attractive app... I just want one that stays connected. HELP!

- Meebo: Disconnected every few minutes, unusable but attractive UI.

- eBuddy: Doesn't make it through the night & force closes when exiting a chat. Their site/app is also littered with ads & they inject "eBuddy" into your profile description. I'll deal with their ad BS if it didnt disconnect. Makes you register for an account with ebuddy.

- Hi MSN: Ugly UI and force closes. It's too ugly to use, and don't believe it will stay connected, but if you know it works... let me know and I'll try again.

- Fring: Ugliest UI, automatically imports your phone contacts. You also cant remove them afterward. Pitiful comes to mind when I think of Fring.

- IM+ Lite: Disconnects but auto reconnects. Not the nicest UI, but who cares, it reconnects. Their disconnect solution may have worked if chat logs weren't cleared on the disconnect.

- Palringo (Currently Using). Interface is pretty nice. It doesn't let you remove some of the things on the main page but its tolerable. Unfortunately, also started logging me on/off every few minutes.

Is there an attractive pay-for application that stays connected?

Suggestions, please...

(Google Talk is not an option for me, I'm not forcing everyone to change their IM service because of my new phone... )

Last edited:

Baconstrip

Reaction score
I have good luck with Palringo...

and honestly, whether something stays connected or not is going to depend on your signal. If you are running around in a building and you lose your signal, you're going to get a disconnect.

Keep in mind being connected all the time is also going to drain the hell out of your battery.

OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
I have good luck with Palringo...

and honestly, whether something stays connected or not is going to depend on your signal. If you are running around in a building and you lose your signal, you're going to get a disconnect.

Keep in mind being connected all the time is also going to drain the hell out of your battery.

I see what you're saying, but I'm usually in places with full bars, and spend a good deal of my time on WiFi at home or at work. I'm sitting here now with full bars and watching IM+ Client turn my screen on because it's reconnecting. I don't think I'm being disconnected because of lack of signal.

Last edited:
OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
Just loaded Palringo and it looks good. Wish I could remove some of the clutter on the main page but it's not bad. I just hope that it can keep me online!

thanks for the heads up!

Baconstrip

Reaction score
No prob! I don't know why, but it's never mentioned when people bring up droid IM clients. It actually has some neat features, like taking a pic, which uploads it to palringos site, and sends it to whatever IM you took the pic for as a browser link.

I used to use palringo with my winmo phone, and it would also let you take audio recordings that would automatically send to your IM buddy as a link too. Hopefully that will be in the android version soon :)

OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
Add Palringo to the list... repeatedly logging me on/off of MSN.

According to someone in another thread, Meebo has fixed their disconnect issues... i'm trying that again.

Wow, incredible that this affects all apps...

Last edited:

Veedo

Reaction score
installed the latest version of meebo last night. no disconnects, but i did have it crash a couple times.

Ketchup

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has said Google Talk.

This has been flawless since I installed it. Never disconnects. Always available. :motdroidvert:

radsaq

Reaction score
IM clients that don't have specific server-side support for a different method of sending your phone messages are disconnecting when your phone goes to sleep. (Notice when you have wifi enabled that when you turn your phone's screen on after not using it for a few minutes that it reconnects to the AP, as it has powered down the antenna.)

Silver Member
Reaction score
the authors just released a new version of Meebo overnight. It looks like it fixed my disconnect issues. before the last update, it was by far the best IM client.

OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
IM clients that don't have specific server-side support for a different method of sending your phone messages are disconnecting when your phone goes to sleep. (Notice when you have wifi enabled that when you turn your phone's screen on after not using it for a few minutes that it reconnects to the AP, as it has powered down the antenna.)

How do those services communicate with the phone if not over data?

Edit: Meebo seems stable so far... I think the test is going to be when the phone goes into standby.

Silver Member
Reaction score
wait, what? so you're saying that when my DROID's screen goes blank (aka going to sleep), I won't get any IMs? i call BS on that. the whole point of an IM client is that you get those IMs.

WiFi or not, your phone is smart enough to move between WiFi and 3G.

i've received plenty of messages through an IM client with the screen off. you don't suddenly become disconnected.

radsaq

Reaction score
It appears that I was wrong and that apps can tell the phone not to put itself completely to sleep. IM+ has an option for this, and it appears that more recent versions of Meebo always do it.

OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
Just updating... Meebo has stepped it up! It hasn't disconnected me since installing it yesterday.