22% Display - 57m
12% Phone Idle - 8h 17m
11% IM Lite - 21m
10% Cell Standby - 9h 14m
6% Android System <10m
4% Media Server <10m
2% Digital Clock <10m
2% Android Core <10m

During the day, it will sit on my desk with the screen off. I'll occasionally turn the screen on to check for texts or email.

I think I might have a bad battery. I charged it overnight and am now at 50% battery left. It came off the charger at 6:30AM, so going on 8hrs of "light" use.

Maybe it's not so bad, if I can get another 8hrs, I'll be happy.

Edit: Added time to each service... thanks kungfugeek

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Cleaned up thread. Consider this a warning to stay on topic and not insult one another.

Everyone has a right to voice their opinions whether positve or negative without being attacked verbally.

Let's wrap it up and knock off the name calling.

Thanks gentlemen

KungFuGeek

Reaction score
if you click on each of the items in the battery use, it will show the time for each.

Right now, my display is at 45%, by far the most, and has been on for 45m

Next up is voice calls at 18% and 6min.

then phone idle at 8% for 3h 43m

I am at 80% battery life. Hopefully that comparison will help you determine if your battery is defective.

jleachma

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I do have my screen brightness turned all the way down, and according to the task-killer, nothing running in the background. I also don't use the GPS, just Wifi and the background Sync service. I'm going to keep playing with the settings and run a few tests.

I'm going to raise the BS flag on your 30hours of service. I pretty sure every person could turn every service off and never get near 30hours.

Not sure if you talking about calling BS on my comment; but I never said I got 30 hrs of service. I said from San Antonio, TX to Lafayette, IN. That was about 20 hrs of service. I was driving, so I was not using the phone for calls, text, etc. The screen was off and logging my location... that's it. Call BS if you want, I don't care. I'm not the one with battery issues :icon_wink:

Just to add, here's my current Battery Status:

32% WiFi
22% Display
12% Phone Idle
11% IM Lite
10% Cell Standby
6% Android System
4% Media Server
2% Digital Clock
2% Android Core

During the day, it will sit on my desk with the screen off. I'll occasionally turn the screen on to check for texts or email.

I think I might have a bad battery. I charged it overnight and am now at 50% battery left. It came off the charger at 6:30AM, so going on 8hrs of "light" use.

There you go, turn your wifi off and I bet your battery last longer.

mwinne

Reaction score
I'm going to raise the BS flag on your 30hours of service. I pretty sure every person could turn every service off and never get near 30hours.

I have had mine last around that, on very light use days. I have unplugged it in the morning, and not plugged it back in till the next night around 10-11 pm.

Granted, I usually just plug it in every night when I tuck it in, but it has lasted that long when I was trying to push the limits.

OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
Not sure if you talking about calling BS on my comment; but I never said I got 30 hrs of service. I said from San Antonio, TX to Lafayette, IN. That was about 20 hrs of service. I was driving, so I was not using the phone for calls, text, etc. The screen was off and logging my location... that's it. Call BS if you want, I don't care. I'm not the one with battery issues :icon_wink:

I was talking about Garrett's claim of 30 hours with heavy usage. I didn't mean for it to sound negative, but it's hard to believe, given my situation. Amazing if it's accurate!

Disappointing that the answer might be to turn everything off to get a days worth of use.

Last edited:
OP
D

droid100

Reaction score
So, I've taken a video of what I'm experiencing when trying to play an MP3 through the browser:

[video=youtube;8q1d7Y1K5-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q1d7Y1K5-Q[/video]

Basically, I open a link in a webpage that points directly to an MP3, and when I switch to the home screen, it stops playing. This is how I stream podcasts in my car and when I have to switch for a text message or email, I have to start over.

Garrett said that he's done this many times... What am I missing?

Last edited:

zasran

Reaction score
Battery usage: 32% WiFi - 9h 14m

Wifi is a big power hog, why do you have it turned on? On my phone the display is always by far the biggest energy user by far, on your phone wi-fi eats 10 times what the display uses. I'd turn the wi-fi off.

ero

zasran

Reaction score
IIRC I've seen an application that claimed to solve exactly the same problem, don't remember the name tough, just look for audio players, it is a player that handles audio files in browser and plays them in background.

silverx10

Reaction score
1. Never had that particular problem myself, except as the others have pointed out, the default action of the screen to shut off when your face gets close. Never had it lock off, though.

2. Well known issue, and I believe it's being addressed in the 11DEC09 patch.

3. Afraid to pay because you'd be stuck with it? Ah, but that's the beauty of the Android Marketplace: you can try something out, and if you're not 100% satisfied with it, you can uninstall and refund within the first 24 hours.

4. No problem with battery life on my end anymore. Not since I caught on to the fact that I needed to set screen timeout to something other than "never".

5. No experience with the native e-mail client, as I'm 100% Gmail.

6. No particular issue with this, either. I've used the xxx-xxx-xxxx dialing format ever since I started using cell phones six years back. 's just a habit at this point.

7. I use Google Listen for streaming podcasts and the like. No issue here.

8. Yeah, I agree with your own assessment as well as the others: this is definitely over-the-top. If your kid starts to sing when you play music videos, but you want to take pictures/record the video, just play the song. Kid can't see the screen since you're looking at it, anyway.

ChrisK15

Reaction score
Meebo IM released an update today that fixed the disconnection issues. I've had it on for a long time today and it's been connected since startup.

crowell392

Reaction score
hello this is my first post here i have been doing lots of research on the moto droid i want one bad but with all the bugs should i just wait or should i do it .i cant decide if i decide to do it i will pick mine up on thurs . just not sure about all the glitches that are still in the works .i need some help deciding .thanks in advance .

myriad46

Reaction score
hello this is my first post here i have been doing lots of research on the moto droid i want one bad but with all the bugs should i just wait or should i do it .i cant decide if i decide to do it i will pick mine up on thurs . just not sure about all the glitches that are still in the works .i need some help deciding .thanks in advance .

Welcome to the world of forum posting! Try not to get scared off by what you read here. There will always be people that find fault in new technology. It's best to do what you've been doing and read a lot. Take all the information in and make a decision for yourself. Personally, I am happy as a duck with my Droid. Have you ever had a smartphone before? What phone are you using now?

One big plus that Droid has, is the fanfare with which it was released. This is a big push from Google and Verizon, and they would both like to see it succeed, I am sure. Some of the most obvious bugs were probably planned to be fixed, but they needed to get it out the door as early as possible, that's just the name of the game. There are planned OTA fixes after the December 11th, also.

So your choice. There will always be a better phone tomorrow. Yes it will be cheaper with more features. Sometimes you just have to take the plunge. Do you want to enjoy a new phone today? Concerning the Droid, specifically, just remember that another 400,000+ people or so, also are interested in it succeeding, and google is likely to respect that.

Also, don't worry about the grumpy posters, there's just not a whole lot of fiber on the internet...

Good luck. Happy posting.

Utzz

Reaction score
- EMBARRASSING battery life. Not an actual bug, but what a pain. I basically have to be near a wall outlet at all times. It's died on me when visiting a friends house for a 4hr+ period with no active use. I know all the tricks to try to improve the battery life, but still, its very weak. I have Wifi & Sync on but nothing else. Also, pitiful battery life is no excuse when I'm paying you this amount of money for a device.

I may have skimmed too quickly, but have you at least come to grips with the fact that WiFi is really what's killing your battery? Seriously, 32% to WiFi and it consuming more power than the display is telling me you've got an app that's keeping it on after the screen goes off. Did you by chance change the default WiFi action for when the screen goes blank (turns off WiFi)?