Navigation uses more battery than the charger can provide

jh1200a1

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has noticed that Droid X navigation uses more from the battery than the charger can provide. I'm using the car dock with an OEM Motorola charger for the Droid X. If my trip is longer than 4hrs the battery will be fully discharged.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

sigua

Reaction score
I noticed that would happen if my phone was mounted on the dashboard in the sun, and it would get super hot. Once I moved it to a cooler area it stopped.

rockridder

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has noticed that Droid X navigation uses more from the battery than the charger can provide. I'm using the car dock with an OEM Motorola charger for the Droid X. If my trip is longer than 4hrs the battery will be fully discharged.

Spend a couple of dollars, get a new car charger! The thicker the charger cable is, the more efficient it will charge your phone.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
These newer smartphones (I think starting with the D1 but it might even predate it) detect when temperatures are exceeding maximum allowed temperature for the battery and will disable charging until the temperatures return to a safe level to resume. Place your phone over the AC vent for a few miles to cool it down and then it should resume charging again.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Spend a couple of dollars, get a new car charger! The thicker the charger cable is, the more efficient it will charge your phone.

That's terribly untrue.

Car chargers don't push as much as wall chargers as your car doesn't push out as much charge.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

rohmbd

Reaction score
Turn the screen off with the lock/power button....it will continue to navigate,talk,and charge....just have the screen on when you need it and off most of the time and it will charge.

Last edited:

Snow02

Reaction score
That's terribly untrue.

Car chargers don't push as much as wall chargers as your car doesn't push out as much charge.

Also untrue. Case in point, my moto car charger is 950 mA, the wall charger is 850 mA.

rockridder

Reaction score
That's terribly untrue.

That isn't what I said... If you buy a cheapo car charger that has a small gauge cable it will not allow as much Amperage to get to the Phone as a thicker cable at the same voltage. Please check out the bottom of this page for a chart...

Wire Capacity Chart

paul gyver

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hugh jass is correct. It's all about temperatures when too high they shut down the charging process. Don't waste your money on new chargers as the difference in current output is milli amps. Once I get comfortable ac output I change to defrost. The cold air on windshield will actually bring phone temperature down and allow charging to resume. If it's 75 degrees where you sit it's probably still 90+ at the windshield.

Sent from my SCH-I500

rockridder

Reaction score
Hugh jass is correct. It's all about temperatures when too high they shut down the charging process. Don't waste your money on new chargers as the difference in current output is milli amps. Once I get comfortable ac output I change to defrost. The cold air on windshield will actually bring phone temperature down and allow charging to resume. If it's 75 degrees where you sit it's probably still 90+ at the windshield.

Sent from my SCH-I500

I would say that both theories have merit, I have never experienced the issue with heat, however I have personally had an issue with a charging cable. I had a cable that was spring loaded and self stored, it was very convenient. However after a long trip using the GPS the phone would be at the same charge level or less from where it was when I placed the phone on the dock. Another situation I had was when the phone would run out of charge and it would take 20 min for the phone to get to the point where it would actually turn on. I changed the charging cable out with a nice thick cable and i have never had a problem since.

paul gyver

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would say that both theories have merit, I have never experienced the issue with heat, however I have personally had an issue with a charging cable. I had a cable that was spring loaded and self stored, it was very convenient. However after a long trip using the GPS the phone would be at the same charge level or less from where it was when I placed the phone on the dock. Another situation I had was when the phone would run out of charge and it would take 20 min for the phone to get to the point where it would actually turn on. I changed the charging cable out with a nice thick cable and i have never had a problem since.

Ok I can see there can be an issue with the charger. I guess the way to find out would be to monitor the temps. I use elixir widget.

Sent from my SCH-I500

Bigbootyman

Reaction score
That's terribly untrue.

Actually, most automotive DC outlets actually charge at a higher voltage (14.5v) than a household outlet (12v), but inconsistently. I use my navigation on trips to Chicago and I also stream Pandora at the same time. I always use my car charger and always have a full battery when I arrive.

Snow02

Reaction score
Actually, most automotive DC outlets actually charge at a higher voltage (14.5v) than a household outlet (12v), but inconsistently. I use my navigation on trips to Chicago and I also stream Pandora at the same time. I always use my car charger and always have a full battery when I arrive.

Huh? Phone chargers are about 5V, whether for the car or wall.

OP
jh1200a1

jh1200a1

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! The responses about the temperature makes the most sense. I knew not to buy a retractable charge cord. They cant be any good for much more than 250ma. I will try the a/c on defrost like someone mentioned. I might even make my phones own a/c duct. I love being creative!
I should have known the phone will stop charging when the battery reaches a certain temp. Lithium batteries have to stay cool all the time.