Droid X will not charge

Garnold

Reaction score
So my droid x won't charge anymore when plugged into a droid charger? It knows its plugged into a charger but won't charge. If I take my ipad charger and use that then I see the lightning bolt and it works. This is happening on both my normal wall charger and my desk dock. The car dock works but that also is not using a droid plug but another one. Any idea? Do you think the battery got messed up somehow?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

713King

Reaction score
Take it to verizon store and see what they say, and im sure they will switch it out for you

Vinyl66

Reaction score
I have the same issue. It's very intermittent. My wife and I both have Droid X and her's never shows this problem. I'll plug my droid into the wall charger While the charger is already plugged in and the screen lights back up however does not indicate that it's taking a charge. I have noticed once I unplug the wall charger and plug it back into the wall the phone says it's charging and shows the lightning bolt.

OP
G

Garnold

Reaction score
The un-plug re-plug trick only worked so long for me. Now nothing Droid will charge my phone. My wife has a Droid and her charger will not work for me either. Very strange that any other charger will work just fine? I'll call Verizon but really don't know what they can do but send me a new Droid X. Even if they send me a new charger I know it won't help :( Maybe a new battery? I'd hate to have to transfer all my apps to a new Droid X. Kind of a pain.

Vinyl66

Reaction score
The un-plug re-plug trick only worked so long for me. Now nothing Droid will charge my phone. My wife has a Droid and her charger will not work for me either. Very strange that any other charger will work just fine? I'll call Verizon but really don't know what they can do but send me a new Droid X. Even if they send me a new charger I know it won't help :( Maybe a new battery? I'd hate to have to transfer all my apps to a new Droid X. Kind of a pain.

Please update with whatever Verizon does for a fix. I am also concered that I'll just have to deal with setting up another Droid X.

OP
G

Garnold

Reaction score
Right now I have been just using other wall outlet to usb adapters that seem to work. It's not just the Droid ones either that don't seem to work. I had one from another phone that I tried and the same thing happened. It showed the USB icon in the task bar and turned the phone on and off but no bolt. For some reason the only ones that are working off the wall outlet are the ones for my iPhone? Talk about a strange one right?

Vinyl66

Reaction score
Right now I have been just using other wall outlet to usb adapters that seem to work. It's not just the Droid ones either that don't seem to work. I had one from another phone that I tried and the same thing happened. It showed the USB icon in the task bar and turned the phone on and off but no bolt. For some reason the only ones that are working off the wall outlet are the ones for my iPhone? Talk about a strange one right?

It's scary how similar our problem is I'm using my old BB storm chargers lol

OP
G

Garnold

Reaction score
Are you also seeing the USB icon up in your task bar for no reason as well? I have wifi off and it's not plugged in though the icon is showing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Vinyl66

Reaction score
I have noticed since I uninstalled Advanced Task Killer my problem has been greatly reduced. Now it's only been one day since I unistalled ATK so I might be just getting lucky since this is an intermittent problem for me but, so far I haven't had an issue since.
BTW- No I do not have the USB icon up.

OP
G

Garnold

Reaction score
I have noticed since I uninstalled Advanced Task Killer my problem has been greatly reduced. Now it's only been one day since I unistalled ATK so I might be just getting lucky since this is an intermittent problem for me but, so far I haven't had an issue since.
BTW- No I do not have the USB icon up.

No change on my end :(

OP
G

Garnold

Reaction score
Ok a quick note. I just called VZW and told them my situation. They really don't know what to do so here are my next steps.

1. Wait for OS update and see if that fixes it
2. Try a hard reset and see if that fixes it
3. Call VZW and ask for next steps (maybe replacement phone?)

At least now I have it documented so if I call back later I have something to fall back on.

kdkinc

Reaction score
Ok a quick note. I just called VZW and told them my situation. They really don't know what to do so here are my next steps.

1. Wait for OS update and see if that fixes it
2. Try a hard reset and see if that fixes it
3. Call VZW and ask for next steps (maybe replacement phone?)

At least now I have it documented so if I call back later I have something to fall back on.

the first thing they'll do is have you do a factory reset. You might as well do one and scratch it from the list....
Hope all goes well just do your backups before the reset..

Also FIRST do a repair on the Motorola driver or a new install of the drivers they control your USB also.

Gumby x

Reaction score
Droid X charging problem

I have been having similar problem with the car charger and docking station. The only remedy is to use the USB port on the car charger and connect through to the DX. I went back and forth with the Verizon tech in store with my problem. It seems it is a software glitch and it will be solved with the 2.2 update ( hopefully this wk!!!)

Kungfutrip

Reaction score
I was having the same problem - are yours getting really hot even when you aren't doing anything with it?

I noticed that with mine when the no charge problem happened it would just get ridiculously hot when the phone was turned on and doing nothing, plugged in or not.

The problem for me has gone away though, at least for a few days now. I put back all of the bloatware I had removed, unrooted, and made sure no apps other than stock were running services. (For example, Titanium Backup had a service process)

I also removed and reinstalled my battery.

Not sure what exactly fixed the problem or if it will continue to work correctly, but at the moment it's behaving.

With the way mine was heating up, it seems like a process or some piece of code was unhappy and maxing the processor and since it's working now I'm at least somewhat hopeful it's a bug somewhere, not a physical defect with the battery?

Gumby x

Reaction score
I was having the same problem - are yours getting really hot even when you aren't doing anything with it?

I noticed that with mine when the no charge problem happened it would just get ridiculously hot when the phone was turned on and doing nothing, plugged in or not.

The problem for me has gone away though, at least for a few days now. I put back all of the bloatware I had removed, unrooted, and made sure no apps other than stock were running services. (For example, Titanium Backup had a service process)

I also removed and reinstalled my battery.

Not sure what exactly fixed the problem or if it will continue to work correctly, but at the moment it's behaving.

With the way mine was heating up, it seems like a process or some piece of code was unhappy and maxing the processor and since it's working now I'm at least somewhat hopeful it's a bug somewhere, not a physical defect with the battery?
No, mine was not getting hot. It just wont take a charge. Impossible to use in the car long distance as navigation would eat the battery up quickly and phone would be useless on a trip. Surprisingly Motorola knows about the problem , but no fix yet 6 wks after launch