Navigation shortcut

zackbremer

Reaction score
Im coming from a droid 2 and on that phone long holding on a home screen and selecting shortcuts...there was a driving/navigation option so you could type in specific address of places you navigate to. The only options ive found on the razor are for google maps, and navigation. On my old phone i had shortcut icons set up for my house, buddies apt, and some other places. Any idea how to do this?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Im coming from a droid 2 and on that phone long holding on a home screen and selecting shortcuts...there was a driving/navigation option so you could type in specific address of places you navigate to. The only options ive found on the razor are for google maps, and navigation. On my old phone i had shortcut icons set up for my house, buddies apt, and some other places. Any idea how to do this?

I think what you're looking for can be done by the following...

Hold an open area of the screen,
Select Shortcuts,
Select App actions,
Select Directions and Navigation,
Enter the address desired,
Below is a place for a Shortcut Name,
Further below is a collection of Map icons you can use to identify one from the other,
Click Save.

:icon_ lala:

This method can be used to send data to many apps with one click of the icon from a launcher screen.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Wow! I hadn't noticed App Actions. How cool!

That's an understatement... With App Actions and coupled with Smart Actions, you can set up apps to perform functions based on Smart Action triggers. For instance, if your wife tells you to call her as soon as you get to work (and if you're absent minded like me), you can have your Smart Actions triggered to the WIFI on your office network, which will then activate the phone call to your spouse (an App Actions Direct dial that you've set up earlier) so that as you arrive at the office it automatically calls her and then she can tell you what she needed you to call her for, and you don't get in trouble for forgetting to call.

Or you could set up a specific playlist on your Music Player (another App Action), and have it start playing as soon as you dock the phone on the car navigation dock, then have it pull up your navigation and give you directions to your preset destination (the exact method described to the OP in my earlier post). This way, you've actually triggered TWO App Actions with Smart Actions.

There are essentially an endless variety of options available as long as the App allows preset actions.

SallyC

Reaction score
Ha! Those are great. I'll have to be thinking of more ways to use the possibilities.

I love this phone more all the time! thumbup:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ha! Those are great. I'll have to be thinking of more ways to use the possibilities.

I love this phone more all the time! thumbup:

I'm looking forward to your creative juices and what they come up with! You are highly intuitive and technologically inclined, but you also have a good ration of common sense (something some of us geeks are guilty of not having). I am sure there will be many things you will teach me, others here on the forums and elsewhere about this that we wouldn't have found ourselves.

SallyC

Reaction score
Thanks, FoxKat. This is my first smartphone and my previous experience with an application device was with an iPod, which is obviously way different.

But I do have a background in Nursing Informatics and love playing with computers and technology. So the last two months since I got the Razr have been a lot of fun. I've gotten my money's worth out of this phone already!

I hope I can add to the forums some but I'm not holding my breath waiting to teach you or some of the other folks here something. I'm happy to read and learn. But thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That's an understatement... With App Actions and coupled with Smart Actions, you can set up apps to perform functions based on Smart Action triggers. For instance, if your wife tells you to call her as soon as you get to work (and if you're absent minded like me), you can have your Smart Actions triggered to the WIFI on your office network, which will then activate the phone call to your spouse (an App Actions Direct dial that you've set up earlier) so that as you arrive at the office it automatically calls her and then she can tell you what she needed you to call her for, and you don't get in trouble for forgetting to call.

Or you could set up a specific playlist on your Music Player (another App Action), and have it start playing as soon as you dock the phone on the car navigation dock, then have it pull up your navigation and give you directions to your preset destination (the exact method described to the OP in my earlier post). This way, you've actually triggered TWO App Actions with Smart Actions.

There are essentially an endless variety of options available as long as the App allows preset actions.

I was wrong. Smart Actions doesn't allow for calling home screen shortcuts like it does for calling actual Apps. It's still quite powerful but would be even more powerful if you could call shortcuts and widgets the same way as Apps (are you listening Motorola?)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

AverageAmy

Reaction score
Thank you!!

I think what you're looking for can be done by the following...

Hold an open area of the screen,
Select Shortcuts,
Select App actions,
Select Directions and Navigation,
Enter the address desired,
Below is a place for a Shortcut Name,
Further below is a collection of Map icons you can use to identify one from the other,
Click Save.

:icon_ lala:

This method can be used to send data to many apps with one click of the icon from a launcher screen.

I have been trying to figure out how to find this directions and navigation shortcut for hours - it has been driving me crazy!
Thanks for posting how to do this. You are my hero for the day!

SallyC

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out how to find this directions and navigation shortcut for hours - it has been driving me crazy!

I learned that from him too and have found its many possible variants to be very useful. :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Glad to have been of assistance to you. As I said in an earlier post on another thread, we all love our Droids and we're all a tiny bit sad when someone isn't having the best possible experience with their own Droid, so we all work hard to make everyone happy! We don't always get it right the first time, and it's not always the same people or even only just the experienced that come up with the right answer.

Just recently a brand new forum member posted his very first post as an answer to someone else's question and both SallyC and I learned something new! Now it's your turn to teach us something~! I'll bet there's not much Average about Amy! In fact, she can't be simply Average...she owns a RAZR!!

Good luck and we'll be waitin'. ;)

P.S. If you find a post to be helpful, entertaining, interesting or just nice, show others you "like" the post by placing your mouse just over the black box on the bottom right of the post labeled "Multi" and a hand with a "thumbs up" will appear. Click on that and you'll give credit to the post for being helpful.