Just in case you didn't know (Navigation)

xliderider

Reaction score
can someone help me out here? when I long press on my home screen, all i get is the trash icon to drag icons to. When I long press the home button, I get the pop up listing last 6 apps used. when i long press the menu key on the home screen, i get nothing. I'd really like to use these shortcuts, but I cant figure out how to get to that menu.

If you are getting the trash can, then you are long pressing on an icon or a widget. You have to long press on a blank area on your home screen till a menu pops-up.

bguild

Reaction score
No, the issue was that you will not get the "add" menu on a long press if you don't have an open icon space on your home screen. People should know that, but for a beginner like me, maybe not obvious. duh.. got it now, thanks.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The other thing to do is log into google maps from your computer and create a layer with all the locations that are important to you. Then when you go on your phone and add a layer you can choose to add the google maps layer, and it will overlay the points of interest on the google map app. So you don't have to create shortcuts.

rlb

Reaction score
The other thing to do is log into google maps from your computer and create a layer with all the locations that are important to you. Then when you go on your phone and add a layer you can choose to add the google maps layer, and it will overlay the points of interest on the google map app. So you don't have to create shortcuts.

I have this for hiking trail heads in NJ. Working on mountain biking trail heads too. This is cool stuff!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I have this for hiking trail heads in NJ. Working on mountain biking trail heads too. This is cool stuff!

This is my preferred way of doing it, instead of having a dang folder full of shortcuts you just have different layers within google maps you can add. Much more effective.

Willyammer

Reaction score
can someone help me out here? when I long press on my home screen, all i get is the trash icon to drag icons to. When I long press the home button, I get the pop up listing last 6 apps used. when i long press the menu key on the home screen, i get nothing. I'd really like to use these shortcuts, but I cant figure out how to get to that menu.
From the home screen try dragging the shortcut menu up (the little block at the bottom with the arrow on it).

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The people who are just creating shortcuts really should try the google maps approach. You can create more then 1 layer, and you can put many many locations on each one so.

brendanstl

Reaction score
Why is it that we can't create a "home" contact and give it an address under our contacts and then just open voice search and say "navigate to home"?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know you can put the address of it in the contacts and click on them for fast reference of friends houses, but i do agree you should be able to voice navigate to a contact.

rlb

Reaction score
Well done Taypotts. Now the search continues to associate this shortcut with a voice label, effectively achieving xjman349's goal (shared here as well)

How are you doing this? I have a shortcut named "work". I bring up voice search and say "Navigate to Work" and the search pulls up web search results, it doesn't find my shortcut.

brendanstl

Reaction score
I know you can put the address of it in the contacts and click on them for fast reference of friends houses, but i do agree you should be able to voice navigate to a contact.

We need to get to the bottom of this and hopefully they fix this with the update. Doesnt make any sense to me that you can say "call joe harrison" and it does so but you cant say "navigate to joe harrison" and it doesnt take you there. Is this just something that motorola and google simply missed? Would it be that hard for them to write a program that adds another button that works from your contacts list that calls, navigates to, starts an email or starts a text from whatever command you want to give it as long as you have the specific information for that contact?

brendanstl

Reaction score
Well done Taypotts. Now the search continues to associate this shortcut with a voice label, effectively achieving xjman349's goal (shared here as well)

How are you doing this? I have a shortcut named "work". I bring up voice search and say "Navigate to Work" and the search pulls up web search results, it doesn't find my shortcut.

I tried the same thing and it didnt work. You have to touch the shortcut and it takes you to google nav and starts from your current point.

If you need directions to work you have a problem..... lol

JK... Sometimes I'd like to forget where work is too.

rlb

Reaction score
I tried the same thing and it didnt work. You have to touch the shortcut and it takes you to google nav and starts from your current point.

If you need directions to work you have a problem..... lol

JK... Sometimes I'd like to forget where work is too.

:D I'd like to forget where it is! I'm just using this shortcut as a test. I only have 2 right now, work and home. And since I'm already home.....haha Plus, work is a pretty simple word for search to pick up.