Navigation prompts via Bluetooth headset

WickedSaint

Reaction score
Firstly I appologize if this is in the incorrect forum. I am so far unable to find a way to have Maps transmit navigation prompts via bluetooth headset. I have 1 car that is a convertible and another in which I can't hear the prompts over the engine. Any thoughts?

bpjen

Reaction score
bump... I was wondering the same thing... is it possible to have navigation audio through bluetooth?

blowdryl

Reaction score
same question here, I can't seem to get nav prompts via my LG HBM-210.
anyone able to do this?

bpjen

Reaction score
well I believe I have an answer here- your bluetooth has to have the A2DP profile for audio in order for you to hear the prompts via bluetooth. The normal phone and hands free profiles won't do it.

les017

Reaction score
I imagine this will be of no real help to anyone that can not access or verify the use of the aforementioned BT profiles....but this works on my LG EnV using VZ Nav. I guess if any of you can figure what BT profiles are in use on the EnV we should be able to get answer as to whether this should work with the Droid.

slammed

Reaction score
kinda off topic, but something i have been playing with is connecting the droid to the radio in my car. i travel alot for work and have been using pandora on the phone rather than changing the station or listening to cd's. but the phone will mute pandora and say the directions then start playing pandora again.

alot of the new radios coming out have bluetooth and i wonder how well it would work if you connect your phone to your radio rather than an ear piece.

chriskent85

Reaction score
not sure if it will, i had pandora on my storm and i could listen thru my bluetooth, but on the droid it doesnt give that option

cuesport

Reaction score
I believe you do need an A2DP compatable BT. I have one and it works fine. I also listen to audio books from my Droid over the car radio via cassett adapter and nav directions work also.

bpjen

Reaction score
yes, just to confirm your headset has to have the A2DP profile. I have been using one, and the integration between Pandora and the navigation directions is excellent. Now all we need is the ability to make hands free calls from the Bluetooth.

dbigdawg

Reaction score
Need SCO Enabled

A2DP headset profiles will channel virtually all audio to the selected device, such as S9, T505ROKR or Plantronics 855. In order for a non-A2DP headset to work, SCO (Synchronous Connection-Oriented) needs to be enabled. The LG EnV example has nothing to do with the headset but with the fact that VZNavigator has an SCO audiogate built in to direct signal to non-A2DP profiles. On my Storm, I could force the device into SCO by opening VZNavigator and then opening my other application, such as iHeart Radio. this would send SCO to any headset regardless of profile, such as my Jawbone Prime.

I have searched everywhere I cannot find a software gateway that enables this feature in the Droid. There is an app in the market called Sound Route Switcher that claims to enable this but then blames Android for is application not working with Bluetooth.

If any of you find or develop an SCO solution, please let me know. I am willing to purchase/donate for this solution, as I am addicted to iHeart Radio and Google Navigation.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I have a Clarion CZ509 head unit that has bluetooth (phone and A2DP). It works nearly flawlessly with the droid - I can listen to music and have it cut out to tell me navigation directions, all through the car speakers. The only thing I couldn't get it to do was sync the contact list automatically.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
I have a Clarion CZ509 head unit that has bluetooth (phone and A2DP). It works nearly flawlessly with the droid - I can listen to music and have it cut out to tell me navigation directions, all through the car speakers. The only thing I couldn't get it to do was sync the contact list automatically.

Ditto, except I have a Sony HU. I have not tried syncing the contacts yet though. I have also not tried voice dialing using the head unit either as I don't drive that car very often.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I ended up being able to force the contact sync. I told the head unit to get the address book, then went into "Bluetooth File Transfer" and sent it a vcf of my contact list (made by exporting contacts). It took a long time to transfer, but it worked.