Navigation issue

Dsiiiviper4

Reaction score
Whenever I go into navigation now my phone lags so much it never used to do this before. It either can't find a gps location or it has it and I start driving and it lags behind then loses connection. Anyone have any ideas how to fix it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

stewywerf

Reaction score
This is going to sound crazy but it has worked for me. I have gone through 4 refurb phones trying to fix this issue. I think the fix is has to do with the back cover of the phone. If you take the back cover off of your phone you might notice a wear mark above the word "Only" on the white inside side of the back cover. The white paint has been worn off and the metal has been exposed. This is caused by the copper pin on the back of the phone itself. When looking at the back of the phone it's on the left side near the red battery release tab. Apparently it must cause some kind of short with the GPS. I put a piece of electrical tape on the back cover over the top of the wear mark and it seems to have fixed the problem. I also had Verizon ship me out a new cover while the phone was still in warranty.

I was very frustrated that they didn't give me a new phone after all the trouble I went through. I may not be a Verizon customer when my company contract is up.

OP
D

Dsiiiviper4

Reaction score
Ill have to see if this works. I have the extended battery and cover so ill see if I can see anything later on today thanks.

dmont

Reaction score
My DX developed this same issue over the weekend. I've just applied tape to the battery cover as suggested and now my GPS is working as it should. Thank you.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Wow, who woulda thought? This sounds like one of those "built to fail" design choices to get people to upgrade.

OP
D

Dsiiiviper4

Reaction score
I just realized that when I have the extended battery on and the case on it would not work but now with the regular battery in the regular case it works

OP
D

Dsiiiviper4

Reaction score
Still tried to do everything here and nothing worked. The electrical tape didn't work or anything else. Anyone have any ideas?

droidx2010

Reaction score
Is there a reason that Dx can't connect to gps after entering a location quickly? I was taking someone to a restraunt & entered the exact address in the google navigation, it took FOREVER to have it do anything. I only got a message like "waiting for gps".
My friend that had a 4G IPhone typed in the same address as I was driving & it came up immediately. This crap happens all the time with my phone. It takes forever to get a gps location.

WTF is the problem??? I thought Dx was a good phone. Do I have some incorrect settings or something? I never had this problem when I 1st got the Dx.

newmanx4

Reaction score
Are you stock or rooted?

Sent from my AOKP'd DROID X

leftspin

Reaction score
Is there a reason that Dx can't connect to gps after entering a location quickly? I was taking someone to a restraunt & entered the exact address in the google navigation, it took FOREVER to have it do anything. I only got a message like "waiting for gps".
My friend that had a 4G IPhone typed in the same address as I was driving & it came up immediately. This crap happens all the time with my phone. It takes forever to get a gps location.

WTF is the problem??? I thought Dx was a good phone. Do I have some incorrect settings or something? I never had this problem when I 1st got the Dx.

The DX is a good phone, but depending on the area you're in it might take a little while for it to connect to the GPS satellites and then download the directions for you. Even on my Razr Maxx it takes a couple minutes sometimes (and other times it's instant, again, it depends on the area you're in). Remember that the iPhone doesn't have the same type of navigation that Android has, it just uses 3G to get your location and then download directions. That means it might be faster but probably a little less accurate.

All in all, you should probably just relax and give it a minute or two to find your directions. It's a tiny computer that you're carrying around in your pocket that can browse the internet and give you directions so if it takes a couple minutes to do that, you might just have to deal. If you really can't cope you could try clearing the cache for the app (Settings>Apps>Maps>Clear Cache and Settings>Apps>Navigation>Clear Cache), or clearing the cache for the device.

droidx2010

Reaction score
The DX is a good phone, but depending on the area you're in it might take a little while for it to connect to the GPS satellites and then download the directions for you. Even on my Razr Maxx it takes a couple minutes sometimes (and other times it's instant, again, it depends on the area you're in). Remember that the iPhone doesn't have the same type of navigation that Android has, it just uses 3G to get your location and then download directions. That means it might be faster but probably a little less accurate.
All in all, you should probably just relax and give it a minute or two to find your directions. It's a tiny computer that you're carrying around in your pocket that can browse the internet and give you directions so if it takes a couple minutes to do that, you might just have to deal. If you really can't cope you could try clearing the cache for the app (Settings>Apps>Maps>Clear Cache and Settings>Apps>Navigation>Clear Cache), or clearing the cache for the device.
I had this phone for 2 yrs. now and when I first got the phone I was able to get directions immediately. It was over the last 6 mos. or so this started happening.
Just an FYI - I went to the Verizon store where I got my phone & they took the battery out (needed a reboot they said), cleared the Cache, and they also told me to do a *228 every 30 days or so. It had nothing to do with the area I'm in. Navigation works fine now.
Thanks - your Cache clearing suggestion works fine as well. Go figure - the gal at Verizon said that most people with a 4g thinks their phone is actually 4g but it's not. They're only a 3g with updates.

leftspin

Reaction score
droidx2010 said:
I had this phone for 2 yrs. now and when I first got the phone I was able to get directions immediately. It was over the last 6 mos. or so this started happening.
Just an FYI - I went to the Verizon store where I got my phone & they took the battery out (needed a reboot they said), cleared the Cache, and they also told me to do a *228 every 30 days or so. It had nothing to do with the area I'm in. Navigation works fine now.
Thanks - your Cache clearing suggestion works fine as well. Go figure - the gal at Verizon said that most people with a 4g thinks their phone is actually 4g but it's not. They're only a 3g with updates.

Yeah, what they call 4G isn't true 4G but supposedly it will be eventually. Part of the reason you used to be able to get directions instantly but not anymore is because as the cache builds up it can slow down the app

droidx2010

Reaction score
The DX can be rooted, but that's a whole other topic.

Read this. Might be worth a try for your GPS problem.

GPS Help!

Well, I did have it rooted but when it was just android. Then when the OS updated to Gingerbread, the root was useless. Now I have a superuser (with the crossbones) icon that I can't remove.