N00b Question

Murker

Reaction score
So let's say, what

My Droid World Forums - Tiered Data to go live!

is true and if the other rumor of the Bionic being released on or around July 4th is also true, here is what I'm thinking of doing, since those dates are so close together:

In order to get locked in to unlimited data for the new contract, I want to order another 4G device through VZW.com on say June 28th, and return it "hopefully" when the Bionic is released, within my 14 day new device period.

Remember, I'm just saying this as if we know those dates are to be true, so don't get all, "THOSE ARE JUST RUMORS AND SMOKE AND MIRRORS!."

*cough Hrmmm

So if I did this, what would be the date my new contract with the UL data would start from?

Is it the day I order the new phone, or is it the day I activate the new phone?

Just trying to get some kind of verification because I want to get it set up before the new tiered data goes live and with my luck, if it's based on when I activate the new device, my new phone would get lost in the mail and I would get it AFTER tired goes live.

OP
Murker

Murker

Reaction score
Maybe I phrased this wrong since I got no responses.

I'm saying I would like to make my 14 trial period work for me as much as it can.

For example, if the tiered data goes live on the 26th, and I order my new phone on the 25th, would I be grandfathered in, at that time since I ordered a new phone and did it just before the tiered data was launched or would I miss out on it, due to the fact I may have to wait until the new phone arrives and actually activate it?

With the first example I stated in the above paragraph, I would get the 14 day trial period that lasted until July 9th or so and (crossing fingers) if the Bionic came out within that period, I could simply return the first phone I had and get the Bionic.

Ugh,all this for a phone!

bigdad63

Reaction score
There's still seems to be a lot of confusion as to how the locked in plans will work or even if those currently on a 3g plan are going to be grandfathered in to unlimited 4g plans.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's still seems to be a lot of confusion as to how the locked in plans will work or even if those currently on a 3g plan are going to be grandfathered in to unlimited 4g plans.

That^^^^^ Because if people with 3G unlimited will be able to be grandfathered into an unlimited 4G plan if they decide to upgrade, then I'm going to go get unlimited data now for my phone and just get the Bionic later.

Reaction score

That^^^^^ Because if people with 3G unlimited will be able to be grandfathered into an unlimited 4G plan if they decide to upgrade, then I'm going to go get unlimited data now for my phone and just get the Bionic later.

Then you would have to buy a phone at retail because you have no early upgrade since you already re-upped correct?

Covington

Reaction score
No I've been eligible for an upgrade for 3 years. Just been waiting on the right phone.

Ha! You and me both Arkbird! I picked up the env touch a while back and soon after all these glorious phones started to come out. Kind of made me jealous, so I wanted to future proof my next phone and I think the Droid Bionic is it.

mike02vr6

Reaction score
I am wondering if I just put the data package on my phone (an alias 2) if that will grandfather me in or if I should just buy an OG off ebay. I would also bet that if they do the tiered plans on 7/7 we won't see the bionic until the end of July at the earliest that is just my guess, it seems that they have a knack for screwing their customers just enough so we keep em and give them our money

Last edited:

spider210

Reaction score
I am wondering if I just put the data package on my phone (an alias 2) if that will grandfather me in or if I should just buy an OG off ebay. I would also bet that if they do the tiered plans on 7/7 we won't see the bionic until the end of July at the earliest that is just my guess, it seems that they have a knack for screwing their customers just enough so we keep em and give them our money

You will have to have a smartphone in order to be grandfathered in. Doesn't matter if you are paying for unlimited data on a feature phone or multimedia phone the phone must be a smart phone in order to be grandfathered.