My wife just came home with a D2G!

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I must say that I'm not sorry to see her refurbed Eris go bye bye (though we still have it.... hmmm.... root?).

So now I realize that I am eligible to upgrade. I LOVE my D1 and have no intention to get rid of it, it's fast, smooth, and customized for me, by me. Played a bit with hers and it's pretty nice.

However, a new toy is really inviting. I wanted to know what you think I should go to and why.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
the novelty of a new toy goes away after awhile.

rooting and flashing roms doesn't =P

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
the novelty of a new toy goes away after awhile.

rooting and flashing roms doesn't =P

Which is why my D1 isn't going anywhere soon.

I'm wondering if I wouldn't be happier with the DX

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
I loved trying new roms all the time on my D1, in fact, enough to make my wife mad at times. I switched to the DX and although i do miss "true" roms, there is still a taste of it with the roms available to the X. What i do not miss is the keyboard (loved it before), mainly for the fact that i can get a decent case for my phone now, i hated all the cases for the D1. The virtual keyboard is so much bigger and easier to use on the 4.3" screen.

My wife still has a D1, and when i need to do something on her phone i feel like i'm holding a little toy lol. I miss my D1 less and less each day.

Jmart922

Reaction score
I agree with dezymond, which is why my next phone hopefully isn't as locked down as some of these newer phones liked Motorolas DX and D2, I was considering the merge or waiting for LG optimus, and hoping LG isn't as strict as moto

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
yea but after having the keyboard you dont realize how much you use it till its gone I had the DX for 2days and took it back bc I didn't realize but everyone is diff. you got 30 days go try it out

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
if all fails you can upgrade and keep your D1 turned on and wait till more stuff comes with the new droids

hoing

Reaction score
keep d1, wait for lte phones. thats what me and couple of my coworkers are doing

JoeeDB

Reaction score
Right now would be the worst time to upgrade especially if you have a D1 IMO. LTE phones only a few months away and the D1 is still a solid device compared to the competition. You won't get much more out of any other phone out right now, I'd wait for dual core LTE phones.

c_hale22

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Right now would be the worst time to upgrade especially if you have a D1 IMO. LTE phones only a few months away and the D1 is still a solid device compared to the competition. You won't get much more out of any other phone out right now, I'd wait for dual core LTE phones.

Very good point, i love my D1 and it would take a dual core LTE for me to upgrade.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
But I wonder in real life, how much "faster" is the dual core phones going to be? Plus, are they going to be like the first new model and have a bunch of bugs that will need to be worked out? I'm thinking they will to some extent. Then I'd have to wait just that much longer for devs to come out with root and root tools, ROMs and themes.

calidroid31

Reaction score
in my case my up grade is in 2012 so I have olny time. I love my dx got in oct knowing there were new smartphones coming in the beginning of the year.so do what feels right if u want a dx go for it if not wait . just know that lte is new and the phone are just going to get better as time flys by. can't wait to see what's next

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, good intentions or not, I grabbed a DX today. Evidently my wife took MY early upgrade and hers comes up in August. Yeah, like I'm going to wait!

So in order to take advantage of the buy one get one free offer I had to get the phone now and add a line to the account. We got around that cost for two years so I'm good. Plus, no matter when I get a phone, there's always another bigger and better one around the corner.

After getting the D1, two months went by before I decided to root and did it the "hard way", and never looked back. With the X, I wanted to use the stock phone for a while to really get a feel for it before venturing off on ROMs, kernels, and themes.

So, with only having the phone for 4 hours, I've rooted and got the root apps running (tether, X overclock, ATK, etc) dancedroid

I am going to wait as long as I can before trying any full blown roms but I am wondering where the kernels are to try and OC it a bit. ANyone gotta a link?

Also going to swap out some icons in the framework, mod a couple widgets, little things like that.