Just picked up a used D1

scf

Reaction score
Bought a used D1 from a friend, damn thing is pretty much brand new. Never rooted/abused/folded/spindled or mutilated.

This is pretty much a test device for my wife, to see if she really wants to go the smartphone dark side. What I want to do is to root it and get rid of any unnecessary stuff (bloat, etc). However, it's not attached to my VZW account yet. I kinda wanted to set it up before handing her the D1.

I have my DX sitting here, but not sure how much help it would be. It's rooted/hotspotted.

Any suggestions?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
You should be able to root but you will encounter problems when you need to reactivate by entering your account info. You may be able to transfer your account to the Droid and back but VZW would need to handle.

Mike

OP
scf

scf

Reaction score
Ok, so with that thought:
Move my line from my DX to the D1.
Root/debloat download my apps that could work on the D1, and setup recovery/Titanium backup.
Move my line back to my DX, and move her number to the phone after I sit with her and go over necessities. She's MORE than smart enough to do it herself, but I figure it might be easier if we both go thru it.

Thoughts?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, so with that thought:
Move my line from my DX to the D1. Yes
Root/debloat download my apps that could work on the D1, and setup recovery/Titanium backup. Yes. Since your apps are associated with your Google account they will automatically reinstall after you reactivate your account. Are you going to use SPR or CW? I have Titanium and MyBackUp Pro but I do not worry anymore with either. Instead, I focus on making a SPR backup.
Move my line back to my DX, and move her number to the phone after I sit with her and go over necessities. Yes

She's MORE than smart enough to do it herself, but I figure it might be easier if we both go thru it. Agree!

Thoughts?

After reading the last sentence it may be easier to move her number to the Droid then root and install all new apps. That would save you transferring your number and the outcome is the same.

Mike

OP
scf

scf

Reaction score
You may be onto something there. I'm thinking more and more about just porting her number to the phone and proceeding from there. One thought that keeps bugging me is that I bought my DX on a promo, and I'm wondering if I'll incurr charges if I move it off my number too early into my contract.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure. I would call VZW and explain that you have an X purchased via a promo but purchased a Droid and want to know if you can transfer then back without any penalties or additional costs.

Manigma77

Reaction score
I bought a used Droid for my wife too, I just called up verizon and got her line switched to it, then I download Z4root and rooted it. Easy.

I was a little sceptical about z4 cause I rooted my D1 the old skool way a year ago, but it went smoothly, only thing I must say is just wait and let it do it's thing. I took about 20 minutes to root hers, at one point I thought it locked up but I did not dare touch it. Then It rebooted and wah lah.

As soon as it rebooted, i installed clockwork recovery and made a backup of the stock"ish" rom, then I continued to play away. I should also note, I had to flash the recovery 3 times for it to stick. Anyway Have fun, my wife and I use KiK messenger, it's much faster than texting, we also share google calendars, for example, i add her google account into accounts and sync then I just sync her calendar. You can also sync her contacts etc. She does the same with my account.

Hope this has helped and I hope she likes the "new" "never gonna die" D1