My thoughts on the Extended battery

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I had my first full day with the extended battery. Overall, I liked it.

- I started with a full 100% charge at 7am. As I type this it is 9:10pm, and I have about 19% left. I used it thoughout the day for web browsing, reading books, and e-mail. I would say it was moderate to heavy usage. Thats a very solid 14 hours on one charge with room to spare. I did not dim my screen at all, and I had 4G turned on the whole time. I did not use any power saving apps like Juice Defender.

- It is pretty bulky. Personally I found it better myself...it is easier to hold for me. Holding a thin slab can be awkward because you have to hold it from the sides. I can now hold it from the back and it feels more natural. I especially like this for reading books.

- It is heavier, and this is noticeable. I think the normal Rezound is 170 grams...with this battery is it 192 grams. Not a massive difference, but you will notice it. Especially since the Rezound is already on the chunky side to begin with. The weight was comparable to my Droid 1 with it's otterbox case. Not trying to sound sexist or anything, but women especially will notice this IMO. For me personally it wasn't a big deal, though I would say it is the biggest downside to the battery (more than the bulk).

- One pleasant surprise is that it does not get hot at all. I was bracing myself for this, but it actually seems to run cooler than my stock battery did.

- One other benefit...my external speaker sounds better! I think it is because part of the interior is hollow now, but the sound was improved (especially "bass", though bass is never great on a speakerphone).

Verizon is still selling these for $30. The sale is not advertised either in store or online, and even in the store they are marked at $50...the "real" price only shows up during the purchase. The box includes the new back cover which is in the same style as the original. Like the original it is rubberized and fits the case snuggly.

Bonus - I now have a spare battery for long trips or whatever.

Last edited:

dzone67

Reaction score
Awesome. I'm still debating whether I should buy it due to the fact I have two stock batteries.... Hmm....

Sent from a Rezound!

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I would rather just keep charging it than swap out batteries all the time. But it really comes down to how much the added weight and bulk annoys you. It still fits in my pocket just fine. In fact, it actually feels more "solid" now...like it would be more likely to survive a drop because the hollow-ish interior would absorb more impact?

I also like that the camera is now recessed. That bothers me a lot with these new phones...the lens on the cameras comes into contact with whatever surface you set it on. That does not happen with this battery case.

dzone67

Reaction score
I would rather just keep charging it than swap out batteries all the time. But it really comes down to how much the added weight and bulk annoys you. It still fits in my pocket just fine. In fact, it actually feels more "solid" now...like it would be more likely to survive a drop because the hollow-ish interior would absorb more impact?

I also like that the camera is now recessed. That bothers me a lot with these new phones...the lens on the cameras comes into contact with whatever surface you set it on. That does not happen with this battery case.

Yeah, the truth is though I always constantly charge my battery, I've never really have had to do a battery swap out. I'm just debating in whether I should get it because of the 50% off discount there giving.

Sent from a Rezound!

Troops2990

Reaction score
The rebate is good till March

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

dzone67

Reaction score
I know....I posted a topic about a while ago. If I'm correct its valid until March 31st.

Sent from a Rezound!

tc1

Reaction score
I agree, I like the heft and grip it provides

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Yeah, the truth is though I always constantly charge my battery, I've never really have had to do a battery swap out. I'm just debating in whether I should get it because of the 50% off discount there giving.
The answer is yes. $30 off is a huge savings (especially considering it is from Verizon corporate...this is the kind of thing you normally only see on Amazon or Newegg...). I would not have paid $60 for a battery unless I had to replace one. But $30 is very reasonable. Especially since they include the replacement back as well.

bladerunn3r

Reaction score
I bought the extended battery a week ago, and have mixed feelings, but overall I would recommend it, if just for the peace of mind. The added weight doesn't bother me, nor does the fit in my hand. It's just the actual aesthetic; it looks like it's going to give birth. It looks like godzilla next to my wife's iPhone. Most people would consider that a silly qualm I'm sure. I just miss the "slim" look of stock. However, the security it affords is too much to pass up. With the stock battery I would start worrying about my low battery by the middle of the work day, everyday. Too stressful. Now, my phone goes all through the day, and lasts through my gym workout, and still enough to fiddle around in the evening at home. A solid 12-16 hours I'd say, ranging from moderate to heavy use.

For 30 bucks, I'd recommend buying it, unless you're going the route of a back up battery and switching them out.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have the extended battery and I cant see myself putting the stock battery back in. To go all day and not have to concern myself with battery life is just one less thing I have to worry about. The other negative is I cant find a media dock to work with it, meaning have to pop the stock battery in just to use my media dock. Other than that I dont see any other negative. I actually dont see an issue with the extra bulk. If you buy the rezound you might want to buy the extended battery as well. I wish htc would have done like motorola and make a battery that was the width of the phone so it would remain slim.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Correction: looks as if the rnd wont work but the official media dock from vzw will.

bladerunn3r

Reaction score
I have the extended battery and I cant see myself putting the stock battery back in. To go all day and not have to concern myself with battery life is just one less thing I have to worry about. The other negative is I cant find a media dock to work with it, meaning have to pop the stock battery in just to use my media dock. Other than that I dont see any other negative. I actually dont see an issue with the extra bulk. If you buy the rezound you might want to buy the extended battery as well. I wish htc would have done like motorola and make a battery that was the width of the phone so it would remain slim.

If by media dock you also mean desktop dock, then I might recommend the htc dock. It was designed with the extended battery in mind, and fits properly. Though it is pricey - 40 or 50 I think. I have both extended battery and the htc dock and there is not compatibility issues.

I don't think the htc dock is advertised at Verizon website, but they do carry them in store. Call your local verizon store:that's where I got mine.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought the extended battery a week ago, and have mixed feelings, but overall I would recommend it, if just for the peace of mind. The added weight doesn't bother me, nor does the fit in my hand. It's just the actual aesthetic; it looks like it's going to give birth. It looks like godzilla next to my wife's iPhone. Most people would consider that a silly qualm I'm sure. I just miss the "slim" look of stock. However, the security it affords is too much to pass up. With the stock battery I would start worrying about my low battery by the middle of the work day, everyday. Too stressful. Now, my phone goes all through the day, and lasts through my gym workout, and still enough to fiddle around in the evening at home. A solid 12-16 hours I'd say, ranging from moderate to heavy use.

For 30 bucks, I'd recommend buying it, unless you're going the route of a back up battery and switching them out.

Funny you mentioned about to give birth. I noticed the stock battery makes it look about half way along and needs to cut back on the sweets at night.
I don't find your qualm silly at all , its just that my qualm is I feel like I'm about to drop every phone I've ever had unless it has an extended battery girthing up the back. Some, like my enV1 felt weird and clunky but the Inc 1 and Rezound actually feel more ergonomic in my hand with baby on board

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If by media dock you also mean desktop dock, then I might recommend the htc dock. It was designed with the extended battery in mind, and fits properly. Though it is pricey - 40 or 50 I think. I have both extended battery and the htc dock and there is not compatibility issues.

I don't think the htc dock is advertised at Verizon website, but they do carry them in store. Call your local verizon store:that's where I got mine.

That was why I made the correction I have both the rnd and the Htc dock. Extended batteries works for my Htc dock but not my rnd dock.

PatG

Reaction score
I just picked up the extended battery today at Verizon at half price. OMG, it's big!! Not sure if I like it. Is there any "battery conditioning" you guys do? I know that the batteries do not have a memory, so I was just going to plug it in all night and use it tomorrow. I'll see how it works; if the size bothers me.

What do you do for cases. I am looking for a pouch style case with a magnatic flap I can just slip the phone into. Has anyone bought a such a case for the phone with the extended battery?