My RAZR is not allowing me to connect via USB! Computer not recognizing ext. storage

sanzenapocalypz

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone else has had the problem or if anyone could give me some guidance on my problem with my RAZR.

The past couple days I have been trying to figure out ways to upload music to my phone. I have MotoCast up an running, but can only get the wireless cloud streaming service to work. There is no option for me in the program to upload via USB like they say there is! SO FRUSTRATING.

For some reason, my computer does not seem to be recognizing the phone. It will charge, but that is it. I have tried switching the debugging mode for USB on and off and restarted both machines for each situation. NO LUCK.

I even tried downloading the drivers manually to my computer! Still nothing! If you guys had any advice for getting my computer to show the SD card on my phone while plugged in, that would be awesome! Or, let me know if there are any programs I should look into. Have already tried DoubleTwist, it was not able to locate my phone being plugged into my computer. Thank you for your time!

monkey_man

Reaction score
1. Check the usb icon on top of your phone that is not left to charging mode. Have this problem occurred to one computer or you've tried different PC with same result?
2. If you use move apps to sd card, the internal storage will be missing from My Computer.
3. If you have external storage, you can use wifi and use the file manager that came with motorola phone and transfer all kind of files via wireless. :icon_ banana:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone else has had the problem or if anyone could give me some guidance on my problem with my RAZR.

The past couple days I have been trying to figure out ways to upload music to my phone. I have MotoCast up an running, but can only get the wireless cloud streaming service to work. There is no option for me in the program to upload via USB like they say there is! SO FRUSTRATING.

For some reason, my computer does not seem to be recognizing the phone. It will charge, but that is it. I have tried switching the debugging mode for USB on and off and restarted both machines for each situation. NO LUCK.

I even tried downloading the drivers manually to my computer! Still nothing! If you guys had any advice for getting my computer to show the SD card on my phone while plugged in, that would be awesome! Or, let me know if there are any programs I should look into. Have already tried DoubleTwist, it was not able to locate my phone being plugged into my computer. Thank you for your time!

To echo MonkeyMan, check the USB mode. To do this, pull down your Status Bar at the top of the screen on your phone, and then tap the USB connection bar to "manage your USB connection". There, you'll see 4 options for USB connections, and one is USB Mass Storage. That's the one I believe you are looking for.

Good luck! ;)

OP
S

sanzenapocalypz

Reaction score
See I have been trying to access the USB options via the phone's status bar. The problem is that whenever it is plugged into the computer and I have even let it sit for a couple minutes to try and allow my computer to recognize it.... it doesn't recognize the phone as a device even! It does not even respond to the phone other than simply charging it. I have fiddled with this USB debugging mode, but is to no avail.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
See I have been trying to access the USB options via the phone's status bar. The problem is that whenever it is plugged into the computer and I have even let it sit for a couple minutes to try and allow my computer to recognize it.... it doesn't recognize the phone as a device even! It does not even respond to the phone other than simply charging it. I have fiddled with this USB debugging mode, but is to no avail.

Ok, may seem like a stupid question, but are you using the USB cable that came with the phone? Some cables only supply charging capabilities for these phones. You're always best using the stock OEM cable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

SallyC

Reaction score

Are you saying MotoCast doesn't start up even? What version of MotoCast are you running? It's up to 1.2.9 now. Right click on your icon and check About or Check for Updates...

If that's not it, reboot your computer and try plugging into a different USB port. Be sure you're not going through a hub.

Do you have anything else happen when you connect your phone that normally happens - like opening up your photo import program or a Windows explorer window? Or is it just Motocast

If you go into Device Manager, is it there?

OP
S

sanzenapocalypz

Reaction score
YOU KNOW..... the USB cable MIGHT just be the problem! I had forgotten the cable that came with my phone at my apartment back at school, and have been having to use my old LG's cable!

And to answer the inquiry about MotoCast, I will definitely have to check for updates. The thing is that the only motocast service I can access is the web browser-based application that syncs the music on your compy to your phone while the computer is on. Does this application that runs in my tray actually have an application where it pops up and transfers music to the storage on your phone? Maybe it is not popping up because of this incorrect phone cable...

T1125P

Reaction score
Hi, I myself have just had this problem. I tried everything, different PC's different cables, installed the moto drivers, the phone is stuck in charge only mode, when I select USB mass storage and click ok nothing happens, it goes back to charge only. My phone is not rooted and this has happened just recently, last night to be exact. Could it be that when it asked me, which mode I set it to I set it to charge only and now it's stuck there? All the other times I had it set to USB mass storage and since now I just wanted to charge only it's stuck in that mode :(

SallyC

Reaction score
As an fyi, MotoCast had a recent version upgrade. So if you're having problems be sure to check for updates before you go too nuts.

T1125P

Reaction score
I was reading around and I fixed it. All I did was hold the power button and the volume down button to do a reset. I think when I installed the gemini taskiller it was stopping a service, and now its ok. Hope this will help some people. :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I was reading around and I fixed it. All I did was hold the power button and the volume down button to do a reset. I think when I installed the gemini taskiller it was stopping a service, and now its ok. Hope this will help some people. :)

Way to go! Great info for others too. Often we find that one software is conflicting another so to see the reset fix it is reassuring.

By the way, it is highly recommended that you refrain from using all but the stock task manager to kill processes. The OS is optimized for that utility and the others eat up system resources, namely the battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

T1125P

Reaction score
Yeah, your right, I took that program out. I like to keep my RAM at least 40-50% free and it was dipping into the mid 30's. So far the only program that I have that does not give me problems is Advanced Task Accelerator. It sort of like does a soft reset and kills all apps to free RAM. I had it for a while, this app is ok with me, the other not so much :)

SallyC

Reaction score
Thanks for posting what fixed it. I'm sure it will help someone.

T1125P

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm glad I can help, and hopefully someone else who had the same problem.

OP
S

sanzenapocalypz

Reaction score
When you hold down all three buttons, does that do a hard reset and just reboots your phone, correct?