My Notes In Gear App Review

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Eureka I think I found a new favorite notes/schedule/to do list/ grocery list app.
A freebie on the Galaxy Gear store called My Notes In Gear.
It took me some time and frustration before finally accidentally figuring the darn thing out BUT now that I have I think I've found one that'll make a nice plan b until Color Note gets watch compatible.
I write a note, schedule, whatever on the phone and it shows up on the S. I set a reminder up and it shows up in the pull down bar of the phone and the watch. Unlike Color Notes that shows up immediately or at 1201 am for calendar events, they all must be set to a time. No biggie once I got the hang of that, just set the reminder for 1 minute ahead of the current time is what I did for a mock grocery list. I can edit the lists on the watch and it syncs back to the phone. It's not a standalone app, needs to be connected to the phone to sync which it does at opening on the phone each time. It can make new lists and notes on the watch but text entry is done by voice input only using Dragon (Nuance, the owner of Swype also makes Dragon). To change or add times and dates to new items on the watch it uses a calendar looking scroll bar with the usual am/pm, minute, hour, etc like Google calendar uses. I can set the notification tones and led color on the phone but haven't tried to change anything on the watch since I keep it set to vibrate only. The color of the note titles can be changed on the phone. There's a color wheel that you can choose from the entire spectrum instead of just a few pre chosen colors. They do not change colors on the watch, just a drab tannish gray.
Here's a few screen shots of various things I like about it.
Icon in pull down bar
uploadfromtaptalk1424378681310.png

Icon when pulled down
uploadfromtaptalk1424378725287.png

Item checked off on watch
uploadfromtaptalk1424378752844.png

Item checked off syncs back to phone
uploadfromtaptalk1424378801517.png

Notification on watch of new arrival
uploadfromtaptalk1424378836539.png

List on watch of all
uploadfromtaptalk1424378878961.png

Same list on phone
uploadfromtaptalk1424378902613.png

Choices to search all content, create, etc on watch
c68533d173aff6777dee8addbbc29954.jpg

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I changed your Note screenshots to thumbnails, because it's a new trick I just learned, but now they're smaller than the watch screenshots until you click them, so I'm not sure that was a good idea.

Glad you found an app to suite your needs though! Sounds pretty well-rounded, based on the functionality you were looking for.

I'm really torn. Part of me wants to see about picking up a Gear S since it can do things on its own from the phone, but the other part hates the idea of Tizen and, though I know it'll work with a non-Samsung phone once it's been initially setup, I'm seriously thinking about giving another manufacturer a try on my next phone upgrade, so I don't think it'd be a good investment at this point.

Glad to get a taste of what's available for the device and that os through you though!

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm posting about Android on an iPhone forum when I post about Tizen. This is an Android forum, Android Wear will be the dominant os for watches here but I just want to let others know about the "second place" choice :D
Gear For All app makes Gears work on non Samsung phones.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This is exactly why I don't like the idea of Samsung to use Tizen for the watches and making the VR only compatible with the Note. It then makes your choices for the future limited and directly influenced by what you've already invested in the accessories. Same reason I never did and never will go Apple.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This is exactly why I don't like the idea of Samsung to use Tizen for the watches and making the VR only compatible with the Note. It then makes your choices for the future limited and directly influenced by what you've already invested in the accessories. Same reason I never did and never will go Apple.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.
It's a smart, but cheap move on their part. Make customers more likely to return by making it hard to justify NOT doing so, rather than by offering products that sell themselves.

Even though I own a Note 4, I would've already bought the Gear VR if it was universal. Now, it's a long shot that I'd make the investment even though I have the required device, because I love shiny new phones & as I stated above & in countless other threads, I'm not convinced that my money will go to Sammy next time around.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It's a smart, but cheap move on their part. Make customers more likely to return by making it hard to justify NOT doing so, rather than by offering products that sell themselves.

That's ^ what I've been trying to say all along o_O, but you put it so eloquently ;). Thank you @Jonny Kansas for getting it and making it clear.:)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's ^ what I've been trying to say all along o_O, but you put it so eloquently ;). Thank you @Jonny Kansas for getting it and making it clear.:)
As much as I've enjoyed my last 3 Samsung devices, including the Note 4, I just really don't like the way I see them going these days.

Don't get me wrong, metal construction was a great move and toning down Touchwiz is good too.

But pushing towards Tizen and these power plays they're starting to pull are ridiculous. I know they're notorious for copying Apple, but get over yourself Sammy. Seriously. Not good moves if you're worried about market share as much as you claim to be.

Ok. Done hijacking the thread now.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I created my first note on the watch using voice and time/date. I set it's location as my house
A picture is worth a thousand words they say
09ecab53ab978e4e3234a7b59b278be8.jpg

8e93c6e73ad8f6dc7f11d8952d07db87.jpg

72cbb91c170324b5a06de58f9914d5ed.jpg

616e14158fad2900b5a4cde126a706ba.jpg

a12ee3fcd161ab908f657bf62766ce87.jpg

2317ca18035008af5623b0bc419887db.jpg

b53c4debd120249460afa490fe3c1654.jpg

8be687cea9c46060700163d3b74fe5ef.jpg

cf10793741511142242564a0d9f71107 revised.jpg

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah but that's a lot longer between shifts than what went on between thanksgiving and Christmas. It's the nature of retail.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Opened the S view cover this morning and saw a new icon I didn't recognize. It was the reminder from the note I made on the watch last night. I pulled out down and there was the options to snooze, dismiss or open the app by touching above the snooze/dismiss area.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This app got an update today that makes it totally standalone capable. Before you could write a note/list on the watch but doing so was much more limited than writing on the phone then sync to the watch. Now it has its own keyboard, ability to add more to the list/note . Before when the watch went to sleep after waking it would sync with the phone when you opened the app. Now it only syncs when you tell it to, very nice when I leave the phone at home so I don't have to wait for it to remotely connect every time I open it.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I noticed something today for the first time. I made a list for the store, input the store that I had stored as a favorite location and as I was driving (phone at home btw) I got a vibration on my watch and this was what showed up
5c23e3601034c8dd251dc7d243f1e741.jpg

I've never gotten that before but I also forgot to shut off the GPS yesterday after kayaking so I'm thinking it was always there I just usually don't have location on on the watch.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just want to add in there was an update for this app released a few days ago that addresses bugs while making the sync between devices even faster, adds ability to label by category such as to do, buy, etc. Along with this it added the ability to import text directly into those labels. I will enjoy this new feature for quickly importing my work schedule into, from Color Note, the app. No more need to write it out twice to get the best of both apps. Now all it needs is ability to password protect notes and it'll be my do all app.
Oh I forgot, it also added voice note ability to the S2 lineup.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Last edited:
OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another update this morning and I've noticed it syncs even faster than before between devices. Also when you check off a list item it animates the text area of the item for a moment. I think this was already there but the word(s) bounce up and down a couple of times when you tap the check mark area.
Bug fixes for the S2 were stated in the what's new as well.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><