My note 2 review:

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I played with it at best buy I didn't have any trouble using it one handed I probably will so there is no chance of dropping it until my case arrives

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Wopback

Reaction score
pc747 said:
One handed operation

^ funny I discussed that not too long ago. I like it and the options that they give you.

Thanks again for the review! Its very helpful for those on the fence (like me).

I'm holding off for now. I have the S3, so I only notice minimal differences between the 2 so far.

Plus I'm a phone on the hip wearer due to my job and this doesn't look "normal" on my attire.. lol

tn.guy

Reaction score
I myself switched from a nexus .I had a vicious v.5 rom on it witch worked flawlessly. Battery life would only render a day, 2-3 days with mobile data turned off and light useage. NOTE 2 is AWSOME!!!!!, battery life is incredible 2 days now on single charge. Getting use to the size is the biggest hurdle. Best things going: screen, battery, swype, camera, and fun with the pen.

shockersdud

Reaction score
First I want to talk about the reason why I switched from nexus to note 2. I love the nexus but the radios got to a point that my phone was almost unusable. When in a strong lte area I am fine but in a weak area or in between towers it just would not cut it. I chose At&t for a combination of reasons: 1) At&t worked better where I work 2) the ability to use unlocked phones on their network 3) cheaper than Verizon 4) I just got tired of big brother red locking phones and manipulating services reviews devices (Galaxy Nexus did not get the support that it should, almost seem like verizon do not want it on their network).

So the review is based on the At&t Note 2 but the Verizon version should be on par.

1) Battery Life: One of the issues I had with my nexus was it could not cut it as an all day device. Though I post on here battery being good the reality is that it was at idle most of the time. On my nexus (with an extended battery) I could check tapatalk a few times, watch a few you tubes and a call or 2 and idle to barely make it through the day (most of the time having to bump charge to make it). The Note 2 is a complete 180 from that. I saw people post they plan on buying an extended battery to them I say no need if anything get a spare battery and battery charger. The past 4 days I used it to the fullest. Day 1 I streamed movies, music, youtube, and was on the web all day and at the end of 12 hours had 49% battery life (heavy use). Day 2: I used it to check the web, listen to music, and keep up with the weather and at the end of 12 had about 60% left (light to moderate use) Day 3: streamed college football game, checked the web, and listen to music and at the end of 13 had 45% left (moderate to heavy). Day 4: Streamed music, paper artist (screen on quite a bit playing with that app), listened to music player for about 4 -5 hours, heavy web browsing at the end of 14 39% left (heavy use). During the 4 days I mainly kept the screen brightness at about 35% (and brighter hurt my eyes unless I was watching a movie), I was on LTE the entire time, and I kept Auto sync on as well.

The Goods: The speaker is loud and crisp and no need for a volume boost app as the volume comes through loud. The build quality is solid and though the device is large it is surprisingly light and thin. A tpu case will do the trick unless you are going to work in a harsh environment. The screen is awesome I enjoy looking at that screen whether it be watching movies, playing with paper artist, or searching the web. Having a screen that large makes viewing web content and video content easy. I can not think of a more gorgeous screen at that size in fact people who but this can leave their tablets at the house. The reception is great did not drop lte once during the 4 days. Camera quality in on par with the s3.
S Pen- when I saw the reviews I said I would barely use the stylus but the past 4 days I found myself reaching for it more and more. The s pen really comes in handy whether it be for drop down menus in the browser, jotting down notes, making art work (paper artist is addictive), cut and paste, previewing email or text message content, or hand writing letters.

The bad: This really isnt an issue just takes getting use to and that is the capacitive buttons. Because the bezel is slim I find myself accidentally hitting the bezel and since it is sensitive a slight touch will activate it. Again not really bad but until you get use to the size and adjust hand position that could annoy you . The other negative for some will be the size. For me I love it but for others it will be a deal breaker.

Overall I have to say this is arguably the best android device ever made. With so many features that are useful Samsung gets a thumbs up for putting a lot of thought into the device. This phone is worth all of the 299 that I paid for it. For once I felt like when i bought a phone I got my money's worth and quite frankly the last time I felt that way was when I bought my og droid. The note 2 is a flat out beast of a phone and well worth the wait. Having a nexus I find my note 2 to have more features and is just smooth as butter. I rooted my note 2 only to use titanium backup to restore app data other than that I do not see a need to rom (the exception is the mod that allows multi window to work with all apps).

I tried to keep it brief because you guys have seen video after video and heard opinion after opinion. Only thing left is for Verizon to give you the phone already.

I am thinking of purchasing new notebook and your review is great help for me. Thanks for sharing it and I will share my review too

jenglish724

Reaction score
Good review!

I made the switch from iPhone 4s and never looked back. The battery life and usage is such an incredible experience.

I am on Verizon, by the way.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Great review PC ... and I agree 100% with all you said. I had to go with Verizon with mine as their coverage is king 'round my parts. Coming from a Razr Maxx HD I was concerned about a reduction in battery life ... PLEASANTLY SURPRISED!

uploadfromtaptalk1359676543156.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1359676564785.jpg

Makin' my Notes ...

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Awesome getting 6 hrs screen time.. I had the Maxx HD for 11 days running it thru all test.... This phone hold its own nicely battery wise.. Not to mention all the other treats..

《Take Note2 BK's here..》

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Awesome getting 6 hrs screen time.. I had the Maxx HD for 11 days running it thru all test.... This phone hold its own nicely battery wise.. Not to mention all the other treats..

《Take Note2 BK's here..》

Yeah I think this thing blows the HD away, IMHO. Only thing I miss is the caller ID read out, sure there's an app I can get for that but I been too lazy to look LOL

Makin' my Notes ...

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What is a shame is vzw messing with blocking mode. Is it a make or break thing no. But that is one of the reasons I left verizon. It is one thing to put bloatware carriers have been doing that since flip phones but to mess with features, especially if you not going to provide an acceptable alternative, is just ridiculous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
What is a shame is vzw messing with blocking mode. Is it a make or break thing no. But that is one of the reasons I left verizon. It is one thing to put bloatware carriers have been doing that since flip phones but to mess with features, especially if you not going to provide an acceptable alternative, is just ridiculous.

Just goes to show how much this device has cuz I know not what this blocking mode is you speak of LOL

But, I completely agree with you and that's exactly why I too tried to leave VzW. Got the N4 for my wife but both T-Mo and AT&T were too spotty in my area :( Was hoping to get better results because a carrier unlocked device is really what I wanted ... maybe in a couple more years, who knows.

Makin' my Notes ...

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Screen shots from my phone.

uploadfromtaptalk1359680893139.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359680909609.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359680922579.jpg

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just goes to show how much this device has cuz I know not what this blocking mode is you speak of LOL

But, I completely agree with you and that's exactly why I too tried to leave VzW. Got the N4 for my wife but both T-Mo and AT&T were too spotty in my area :( Was hoping to get better results because a carrier unlocked device is really what I wanted ... maybe in a couple more years, who knows.

Makin' my Notes ...

The reality is that is the reason why many are still on Verizon. Verizon was smart building their infrastructure and as a result in some areas they have a monopoly by the fact no one else can compete coverage wise. The question is will any one be able to catch up or are they willing to allow vzw that market because of the cost to b build the infrastructure in some of the deep rural areas.

jenglish724

Reaction score
The reality is that is the reason why many are still on Verizon. Verizon was smart building their infrastructure and as a result in some areas they have a monopoly by the fact no one else can compete coverage wise. The question is will any one be able to catch up or are they willing to allow vzw that market because of the cost to b build the infrastructure in some of the deep rural areas.

I agree. I only have strong service at my townhouse from Verizon. All other carriers have poor reception in my home.

Big Red has a seize on my hometown. If you don't have Verizon your usually looked at funny.

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't use it all the time but there are times I will turn it on. Example will be if you are out at a movie but you don't want to turn silent mode on in case of an emergency (baby sitter) well you turn blocking mode on and only allow a certain number or contact. That way you are not disturbed by emails and stuff from work or Facebook while watching a flick but if an emergency happens it will come through full blast.