My Nexus makes high pitched "screeching" noises during some phone calls

MrKleen

Reaction score
It is very irritating that my phone makes high pitch screeching noises sometimes while on calls.

I don't think the person on the other end can hear anything because they have never mentioned it. The noise is terrible and I sure would like to get rid of it.

I am also told at times that my sound quality is erratic at times.

Where are these darn quick updates?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It is very irritating that my phone makes high pitch screeching noises sometimes while on calls.

I don't think the person on the other end can hear anything because they have never mentioned it. The noise is terrible and I sure would like to get rid of it.

I am also told at times that my sound quality is erratic at times.

Where are these darn quick updates?

First thing to try:

Factory Data Reset

Concerning Factory Data Resets on the Gnex: If you do this through the menu in Settings or if you boot into the stock recovery and select it, EVERYTHING on your sdcard will be erased. You must backup any files on the sdcard that you want to keep. There are apps in the market that will do this for you and store the info in a safe place: SMS Backup & Restore; MyBackup Pro, etc. You can also just copy your pictures, music, etc. to your computer but that will not backup your test messages and SMS.

Factory Data Resets have gotten pretty painless lately by following these simple steps: 1. Make sure Backup and Restore are checked in the Privacy setting. 2. When going through the setup after the reset, turn on wifi as soon as you can (assuming it is available). 3. After you have entered your Gmail account info, you will be presented with a screen that has two check boxes. Basically they are "Do you want Google to backup and restore this phone”. Make sure you check both of those. 4. Open the Market app and accept the market terms. 5. Your apps will then automatically reinstall (paid and free). Set the phone aside for a minute or two and let the apps download and install. 6. If rooted, use an app such as titanium backup to restore data only to select apps such as Tapatalk and you will not have to re-enter all your login information. I do this for 3-4 apps (Tapatalk, SPB Shell, etc.).

I've been flashing new roms/updates about once per day lately and I can be up and running with all my apps and settings back in place in less than 20 minutes. It's pretty painless now.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, it's time to contact Verizon. IMHO

Good luck.

OP
MrKleen

MrKleen

Reaction score
Lol... thanks and of course I've done all that good stuff and also switch roms several times a week.

On other forums I have found many others having similar issues. The screech is not every time but it has happened maybe 10 times so far since day one. To me it seems like interference from something...I don't know.

I bet others will post that they have had the screech.

holdout

Reaction score
Ok Im glad to read this because I had this happen to me for the first time yesterday, actually happened twice. The second time I was calling Verizon to activate my second GNex when it started. The Customer Service Rep had to call me back!

Mine sounded like a fax machine or a dial up modem.

What's up with this? is it hardware, software or network? I've been really patient with this phone, but now that I've got a second one and am having simialr reception issues as my first, I am about to give up on the G Nex.

BTW I am totally stock with all the standard apps necessary for the Gnex like volume +, etc.

captdroid

Reaction score
I have had this happen also. Sounds like a screeching or fax machine / modem. Weird!

NathanDetroit

Reaction score
i've had this a couple times as well. it tends to happen when i'm on a call longer than 10 minutes or so. the first time it happened it was so loud i dropped the phone, luckily i was on carpet. i also get some intermittent 'popping' sounds on occasion, also when the call tends to be a little long. it comes through both the earbuds and the handset earpiece, and it's annoying as hell.

bryantjopplin

Reaction score
Try turning off voice privacy in the voice settings under the dialer menu. Mine did it and I turned it off and crystal clear. Its an extra layer of encryption that I don't think is needed IMO.

Tapped from my fingers on my Nexus

gthotie5

Reaction score
This only happened to me when I was running stock ICS.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

OP
MrKleen

MrKleen

Reaction score
Try turning off voice privacy in the voice settings under the dialer menu. Mine did it and I turned it off and crystal clear. Its an extra layer of encryption that I don't think is needed IMO.

I'll give this a try.

This only happened to me when I was running stock ICS.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

I have not been stock since day 3 of owning the phone.

captdroid

Reaction score

I have had voice privacy turned off for quite some time now and this issue as described occurred.

dan5505

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Has anyone figured out a solution to this yet???

I have tried everything I can think of. Factory resets, custom roms, jelly bean, etc... I am on my third replacement for this issue. All three phones have had the exact same issue, the screeching fax machine during calls. I even get a similar noise when listening to music for extended periods of time.

The first two phone I had were hardware revision 9, the third one is revision 10.

If we could just get rid of this issue, it would be an awesome phone.

like2angle

Reaction score
Hi all. I am on my third replacement and now it's doing it too. I have only 3 weeks of warranty left. I paid the full 300 for
Mine and i am feeling burned. It seems to get worse over time. I'm calling Samsung tomorrow and will report back.

Well I called Samsung and I can send in my phone to have it tested. 10 day turn around, no thanks...

Verizon offered me a Razr Maxx, smaller screen, no NFC, No HD, again, no thanks.

Last edited: