My Droid3 is subsidy locked. Any way around this?

JTRockville

Reaction score
Greetings,

After ordering an international SIM card, I popped it in my phone and it asked for a PIN. The PIN that came from the card didn't work, so I called the company I bought the card from. They told me to enter the PIN 10 times until I was prompted for the PUK. Silly me, I followed their instructions.

Now my phone is subsidy locked, because it really wanted the unlock code from Verizon, not the PIN for the SIM.

I got the unlock code from Verizon, but it's pretty useless now that the phone is subsidy locked. After spending several hours on the phone with Verizon support, they eventually gave up and told me to call Motorola. Motorola sent me back to Verizon.

Is there any way around this? Any way to get my Droid3 to "forget" that I typed in the wrong code 10 times?

I found these instructions but they look pretty sketchy. Plus, I'm not sure if they'd work on the D3.
UNLOCK 2 WORLD: Motorola XT860 4G ... "Phone Is Subsidy Locked, Please Contact Service Provider" Done

FYI, this phone is currently not activated on Verizon's network. Among the many things I tried while on the phone with Verizon support: we tried activating it, but it still gave the subsidy lock screen when I entered the unlock code.

Thanks much,
Jaime

PS... I also tried leaving on the "subsidy locked" screen without pressing "dismiss" for several hours, because Verizon said it might automagically re-prompt for the unlock code, and it might work after that, but the "subsidy locked" screen never reverted back to the prompt for the unlock code.

Last edited:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
probably will not fix, but i would, wipe data, and flash .xml stock rom recovery file.
if phone is on system version
2.3.4/5.7.906 you can only use
5.7.906 .xml (VRZ_XT862_5.5.1_84_D3G-66_M2-10_1FF_01a.xml.zip) with rsd lite
Official .906 1_click sbf .exe [03-28-2013]
.906 1-click-sbf.exe + tools [06-01-2012]

if system version
2.3.4/5.6.890
you can use the options above or
5.6.890.xml (VRZ_XT862_5.5.1_84_D3G-55_1FF_01.xml.zip) with rsd lite
5.5.959.xml
can't say for sure if that will help, but it will not hurt

edit: also should read
Guide - Band Unlock XT862 for T-mobile/ATT
maybe something in there that will help

Last edited:
OP
J

JTRockville

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the information. Very thorough, very helpful.

Could trouble with a few more questions please?

After reading through that topic you linked to, I found little tidbits on page 25 that their method wouldn't take a phone out of "hard lock". So I'm going to try your suggestion for flashing a stock recovery ROM, which seems much simpler.

I assume wiping the data will remove my contacts. Is there an easy way for me to backup/retrieve them? That's not a show-stopper, but would be handy. I can copy/restore the rest of my files easily enough.

Also, does this mean my phone will be "rooted", or will it still be "stock"?

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
wiping data will wipe everything except sd card, unless you choose
Preferred method and select erase sd card

Import / Export Contacts to SD Card - DROID X by Motorola
verify that contacts are backed up/ synced
backup texts and call log with sms backup +

also could root before, then you can
1. MOTOFAIL “Droid 4”
2. Install/Use Droid 3 Bootstrap or Safestrap v3
a. backup apps with titanium backup, or rom toolbox
Open Titanium Backup and press the "Options" hard-key. Then press "Batch." Run the Backup all User Apps tool and wait for the process to complete.
b. backup texts and call log with sms backup +
c. Bookmark Backup Open "Backup Bookmarks" and backup your browser bookmarks.
d. verify that contacts are backed up/ synced or Import / Export Contacts to SD Card
e. Make a Nandroid Backup

flashing a .xml/sbf does not root the phone

OP
J

JTRockville

Reaction score
Thanks again for such prompt and thorough info. This is really a huge help.

I'm too scared to root... so I'll go with manually backing up my contacts and taking whatever else I want off the phone first.

Once again, I have another question, if you don't mind:

My version is 2.3.4, but the build is 5.5.1_84_D3G-66_M2-10, which corresponds to exactly with the stock ROMs you said was my only choice if I had build 5.7.906. Is that the one I should use?

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
yes
5.7.906 is system version, of course 2.3.4 is android version
normally with motorola phones it's the system version referred to because is easier to remember

___________________________890___________________906
System Version____________5.6.890.XT862_________5.7.906.XT862
Kernel version_____________2.6.35.7-g790a33c______2.6.35.7-g5fa4155
Build number______________5.5.1_84_D3G_55_______5.5.1_84_D3G-66_M2-10

edit:
both are android 2.3.4

Last edited:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I'm too scared to root...
because of the locked bootoader, motorola phones are almost unbrickable
if you delete, change, or flash something and phone will not boot correctly, just flash the .xml, and phone is back to stock.

GMonster

Reaction score
You should find the XT883 stock rom. Its a chinese stock 2.3.4 rom that will fix that issue so that way you can run GSM and CDMA, I did this when I went to Afghanistan for my tour overseas.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

LoneWolffe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola FlipSide MB508
Twitter
@LoneWolffe
Hello-
I have this same problem with a Droid 3 I just picked up. The phone is right now "Subsidy Locked" and the only option is to "Dismiss" the notification. How do I get back to the PIN entry screen?

I just ordered a code, and I'm waiting for it, but I don't remember how I got back to the "SIM unlock network PIN" screen. Please help?

UPDATE: OK, found the entry by going to Settings/Wireless&Networks/MobileNetworkSettings/NetworkMode
It seems that changing network modes from CMDA to GSM or Global may prompt the "SIM network unlock PIN" to come up.

Hopefully, when I get the code, (one to three hours), it will work and I can unlock this thing.

-B

Last edited:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Hello-
I have this same problem with a Droid 3 I just picked up. The phone is right now "Subsidy Locked" and the only option is to "Dismiss" the notification. How do I get back to the PIN entry screen?

I just ordered a code, and I'm waiting for it, but I don't remember how I got back to the "SIM unlock network PIN" screen. Please help?
-B
should give you the sim unlock screen, whenever you reboot, with a non verizon sim card

LoneWolffe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola FlipSide MB508
Twitter
@LoneWolffe
should give you the sim unlock screen, whenever you reboot, with a non verizon sim card

Even going back to factory settings didn't work. :/ Still comes up with "Phone is Subsidy Locked…" with foreign SIM. I think I may have found the solution, however. by going to Settings/Wireless&Networks/MobileNetworkSettings/NetworkMode and changing network modes. It seems that changing network modes from CMDA to GSM or Global may have prompted the input "SIM network unlock PIN" to come up.

Hopefully that's all I need once I get the code.

OP
J

JTRockville

Reaction score
Glad you found a way to do this LoneWolffe. I was told to just wait on the "dismiss" screen for anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours, but I never did get the PIN unlock screen again. I ended up ditching my Droid3.

LoneWolffe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola FlipSide MB508
Twitter
@LoneWolffe
Glad you found a way to do this LoneWolffe. I was told to just wait on the "dismiss" screen for anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours, but I never did get the PIN unlock screen again. I ended up ditching my Droid3.

Well, keeping paws crossed and hoping that it will all work out inthe end. On the other hand, even if I can't use the phone, it's still a good $50 wifi device for my daughter. :p

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Well, keeping paws crossed and hoping that it will all work out inthe end. On the other hand, even if I can't use the phone, it's still a good $50 wifi device for my daughter. :p
There is a limited number of codes that can be tried, before it it permanently locked.

LoneWolffe

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola FlipSide MB508
Twitter
@LoneWolffe
There is a limited number of codes that can be tried, before it it permanently locked.

So I have heard. On a side note, if unlocking does not work, is there any other thing I can try? Can I root it and reprogram it completely, for example? Or does it turn into a paperweight?