My Droid X is randomly, unusable slow.

alecsputnik

Reaction score
I don't know what to do.  I haven't installed any apps that weren't from the android market (play store) and have gotten rid of everything i don't use.  I have not rooted my phone or messed with it in any way.  I use ATK, and it usually helps, but not always.  I see there are apps running according to ATK that I could definetley do without running all the time (TED, Blockbuster {could deal with out this altogether honestly}, etc.).  Please help me!  I've all but lost faith in Android because of this phone and would rather not go to the alternative!  Thanks!

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
How long have you had your X?

leftspin

Reaction score
I don't know what to do.  I haven't installed any apps that weren't from the android market (play store) and have gotten rid of everything i don't use.  I have not rooted my phone or messed with it in any way.  I use ATK, and it usually helps, but not always.  I see there are apps running according to ATK that I could definetley do without running all the time (TED, Blockbuster {could deal with out this altogether honestly}, etc.).  Please help me!  I've all but lost faith in Android because of this phone and would rather not go to the alternative!  Thanks!

Well, first thing I noticed, get rid of the task killer. I can't even count how many times I've said that on this forum. Android does a good enough job of handling tasks on its own that when you add a task killer it can mess things up. That isn't the cause of your problem but it will improve performance if you delete it.

As far as the slowness goes, I would start by clearing the system cache. You can do this by rebooting into recovery (power the phone off, then hold the home button as you turn it on). Once you get to the screen with the Android and the triangle with an exclamation point in it, press both volume buttons together to bring up the recovery menu. Then use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select, and clear the cache. Reboot, give it a few minutes to run, and see how it works.

If that doesn't fix your slowness problem you could try a factory data reset. This is done the same way, but if you do that you will lose all the information on your phone (contacts, apps, texts, etc). The play store should automatically backup all your apps and there is a Verizon tool to backup the contacts so you don't necessarily have to permanently lose this data, just be aware of that so you can take the proper steps to get it back.

Savagerun

Reaction score
Task killers may be causing you problems, android system doesn't need them http://lifehacker.com/5650894/andro...ed-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-them also wipe your cache partition in stock recovery. To do that power off your phone then press and hold in your home button then next press and hold in your power button, continue holding in both buttons till you see a triangle on the screen then release the buttons and press both volume buttons in at the same time. That will get you in stock recovery. Next use your volume button to scroll down to where it says wipe cache partition and select it with your power button. Once it's done wiping cache just select reboot system. Don't worry you won't lose anything by doing this it just cleans up some things and your phone should run better.
EDIT... Ninja'd by leftspin
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
A

alecsputnik

Reaction score
Ha! you guys are awesome. ok. I'm deleting ATK, and as soon as my video finishes uploading, I will reset the phone and clear the cache.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Just remember that after clearing cache your phone will take a little longer to power up. This will only be temporary.

OP
A

alecsputnik

Reaction score
Ok after removing ATK and clearing the cache it seems to running cripplingly slow less, although the problem is still present for sure. I guess I may try that hard reset that wipes everything sometime, but besides that, am I SOL? Thanks again!

shaggykid

Reaction score
Seems like most of your issues have been addressed. As far as removing Blockbuster and a few other apps that come with the phone, you would need to be rooted to be able yo remove/freeze them so they aren't running in the background.

However if you have already upgraded to .621 you won't be able to root.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums