My Droid X Horror Story (don't pull the "pull" tab)

Super Stu

Reaction score
First thing I did was pull the tab clean out, too. Ive never seen a tab to assist removing the battery before, so assumed I was saving the various codes to give Verizon to deactivate my phone if it was stolen. Only after reading a similar story to this did I realize it was for the battery.

I hope I never have to remove it, although I kept the tab in the box.

dkst0426

Reaction score
Not that I plan on removing the battery too much except for when I have to, but the tab doesn't seem like it's too sturdy, almost as if it'd rip out after getting pulled a number of times. Now, I'm not about to experiment to see just how many pulls it'll take, but I'm just sayin'.........

Evolution

Reaction score
In all honesty, just by simply looking at this "pull tab" 1 of 2 things would come to mind. Well if you have any common sense at all.

1) Ohh look this spiffy little tab is in some way associated with the battery! (this leads to again 1 of 2 things)
1a) To remove the battery easily, allowing the upper portion to be lifted out of the Droid unit.
1b) To completly remove the tab to allow the contact points of the battery to nestle into the contact points in the device. (now at this point with this step, some, but not all would look at the battery and see that the contact points are obviously not located where this "pull tab" is located.

2) Ohh look, a pull tab that says "pull". lets place the battery in and see if this interfeirs with the batterys placement!
2a) No this doesn't complicate the batterys placement, and this tab helps me to remove the battery so I can change it or access my mcro SD card slot.
2b) (not the case but I will list it anyways) Ohh the battery doesn't fit because this tab must be in the way!...

That concludes my breakdown of this tab, the designers, I agree, must have thought their users would be smart enough without a 10 step guide on how to remove the battery, to NOT include it into the quick start guide.

I am NOT calling anyone stupid, I am just stating that when you get your hands on an item reguardless of what it is, a car, a phone, a microwave oven, when the cost is $600, before you start yanking on cords, or tabs or strings, just use common sense to see WHAT they MIGHT be USED for. It will save you A LOT of hastle and keep you from looking, or appearing to look stupid to others.:)

Edited for spelling errors, hey I am not perfect either!

Last edited:

Ubermicro13

Reaction score
Haha when I first got mine I was sitting there like a caveman pulling on the "Pull" tab with no battery in. It said pull so I did but luckily I learned before I pulled it all the way off ll

Mikejl

Reaction score
In all honesty, just by simply looking at this "pull tab" 1 of 2 things would come to mind. Well if you have any common sense at all.

1) Ohh look this spiffy little tab is in some way associated with the battery! (this leads to again 1 of 2 things)
1a) To remove the battery easily, allowing the upper portion to be lifted out of the Droid unit.
1b) To completly remove the tab to allow the contact points of the battery to nestle into the contact points in the device. (now at this point with this step, some, but not all would look at the battery and see that the contact points are obviously not located where this "pull tab" is located.

2) Ohh look, a pull tab that says "pull". lets place the battery in and see if this interfeirs with the batterys placement!
2a) No this doesn't complicate the batterys placement, and this tab helps me to remove the battery so I can change it or access my mcro SD card slot.
2b) (not the case but I will list it anyways) Ohh the battery doesn't fit because this tab must be in the way!...

That concludes my breakdown of this tab, the designers, I agree, must have thought their users would be smart enough without a 10 step guide on how to remove the battery, to NOT include it into the quick start guide.

I am NOT calling anyone stupid, I am just stating that when you get your hands on an item reguardless of what it is, a car, a phone, a microwave oven, when the cost is $600, before you start yanking on cords, or tabs or strings, just use common sense to see WHAT they MIGHT be USED for. It will save you A LOT of hastle and keep you from looking, or appearing to look stupid to others.:)

It easy to exercise good common sense when you have had to the opportunity to read this thread ahead of time. According to one of your post's from yesterday you don't even have your DX in hand yet.

My common sense says maybe you would have or maybe you wouldn't have. But because of Droid Forums and this thread you surely won't.

Mike

Evolution

Reaction score

It easy to exercise good common sense when you have had to the opportunity to read this thread ahead of time. According to one of your post's from yesterday you don't even have your DX in hand yet.

My common sense says maybe you would have or maybe you wouldn't have. But because of Droid Forums and this thread you surely won't.

Mike

No, I don't have mine "yet" but as far as this goes, I don't have a Ferreri "yet" either. but when I do get one, am I going to go and start ripping things off of it before I know what things do? No. Am I going to go into my C:/system on my PC and start deleting things that I don't know what they do? NO. There for this is a simple post related to the comon sense of a human being, not of the Android device in which we are all refering to.

So me having mine yet, or not does NOT change the way that I view the posts related to this issue. And for your notes, I have handled the device more than a few times, and have done more research on the device than most people on these fourms.

Super Stu

Reaction score

[...]

And yet, here you are inferring that very thing.

You're quite right, you don't randomly start yanking on cords or tabs when buying expensive devices (although quoting the X's unlocked price is a little disingenuous; very few people will be paying that price). However, if one of the aforementioned tabs said "pull", I might be inclined to do so, given no obvious reason not to.

I've owned dozens of phones (including, notably, 2 RAZRs) and portable devices, this is the first time I've seen a tab to remove a battery. I'm quite sure there are other devices requiring such a tab, but I question whether it is standard practice and, moreover, something people encounter often enough not to pull when instructed to do so. Indeed, if you own an inkjet printer, you're surely used to pulling tabs off the metal contacts before inserting the cartridge.

If it was a few people lacking common sense, Motorola wouldn't have changed the design.

No, I don't have mine "yet" but as far as this goes, I don't have a Ferreri "yet" either. but when I do get one, am I going to go and start ripping things off of it before I know what things do? No. Am I going to go into my C:/system on my PC and start deleting things that I don't know what they do? NO. There for this is a simple post related to the comon sense of a human being, not of the Android device in which we are all refering to.
What an appalling analogy.

People are not randomly subjecting their Droids to the shallow end of the Evolutionary pool; they're pulling a tab, marked pull, when there is no compelling reason not to do so.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're quite right, you don't randomly start yanking on cords or tabs when buying expensive devices (although quoting the X's unlocked price is a little disingenuous; very few people will be paying that price). However, if one of the aforementioned tabs said "pull", I might be inclined to do so, given no obvious reason not to.

People are not randomly subjecting their Droids to the shallow end of the Evolutionary pool; they're pulling a tab, marked pull, when there is no compelling reason not to do so.

Exactly. Thats the point ppl are missing. And why Motorola made the change. Its not like the tab had no writing at all. It said pull. Some ppl pulled it all the way out before putting the battery in. It made no indication if it was to be pulled before or after putting the battery in.

It just said pull.....

Last edited:

Evolution

Reaction score

[...]

And yet, here you are inferring that very thing.

I've owned dozens of phones (including, notably, 2 RAZRs) and portable devices, this is the first time I've seen a tab to remove a battery. I'm quite sure there are other devices requiring such a tab, but I question whether it is standard practice and, moreover, something people encounter often enough not to pull when instructed to do so. Indeed, if you own an inkjet printer, you're surely used to pulling tabs off the metal contacts before inserting the cartridge.

If it was a few people lacking common sense, Motorola wouldn't have changed the design.

What an appalling analogy.

I am making a simple comparison. And also the price I stated IS the cost of the phone, many people will NOT pay this I am sure, but if you mess your device up and it is because of neglect or something that is your fault, YOU will be responcible for the cost of the phone. Honestly, $100, $300, $50,000, these are numbers. I am just stating that why would you REMOVE, yes REMOVE a tab that says PULL. Do you REMOVE you hood on your car, even though the hood release states "pull" or "life" NO you don't.

I am not going to continue to argue with people over this issue. That is your choice to think I am wrong, or agree with me.

Also, looking at this tab, it doesn't look like it was intended for removal regardless of what the tab states.. Pull... remove... same thing I guess right?? Pull a wagon, remove a wagon.. same thing..

Last edited:

goracer

Reaction score
This had me laughing, sorry. Motorola said they have already changed or will change the battery pull to be more obvious. Why can't they just put words like "batter puller"? I started to pull mine and when it caught I looked and did not see any perferations (luckily I did not rip mine off).

It shold be something like this below:

<-- Don't tear off. Battery lifter tab.

In large bold type.

The confusion lies in this is the first phone i've seen that has a battery puller as part of that large peice. I've seen ribbons but they were not a tab on a larger peice of cloth. Anyhow, the protective plastic covers always have the little tab so subconsiously you think to remove it because it says pull. If the battery would have been in the phone then it would have been obvious.

It was many people that pulled their tabs off or Motorola would not have posted they implimented new printing on it to prevent it from continuing to happen.

Last edited:

Super Stu

Reaction score
I am making a simple comparison. And also the price I stated IS the cost of the phone, many people will NOT pay this I am sure, but if you mess your device up and it is because of neglect or something that is your fault, YOU will be responcible for the cost of the phone. Honestly, $100, $300, $50,000, these are numbers. I am just stating that why would you REMOVE, yes REMOVE a tab that says PULL. Do you REMOVE you hood on your car, even though the hood release states "pull" or "life" NO you don't.
The comparison is utterly flawed. I am not instructed to delete c:\system (to which I assume you're referring to c:\windows\system, of course) when buying a new PC. I'm not instructed to randomly rip parts from my Ferrari, when purchasing said car.

I was instructed to pull this tab. In doing so, it came away from the battery compartment, very easily. You don't own the device and, therefore, presumably have no direct experience of how easily this is achieved.

I am not going to continue to argue with people over this issue. That is your choice to think I am wrong, or agree with me.
I'm not arguing, either. I'm countering what I believe to be flawed assertions. At this point, they don't appear to be particularly defensible.

Also, looking at this tab, it doesn't look like it was intended for removal regardless of what the tab states.. Pull... remove... same thing I guess right?? Pull a wagon, remove a wagon.. same thing..
See above. As you have not actually pulled the tab in the manner described, you're perhaps unaware of how easily it detaches from the phone itself. It required very little pressure. In fact, I believe there was a small perforation, aiding the ease of removal.

So, no, this is not correct (attempt at oneupmanship notwithstanding).

Evolution

Reaction score
This had me laughing, sorry. Motorola said they have already changed or will change the battery pull to be more obvious. Why can't they just put words like "batter puller"? I started to pull mine and when it caught I looked and did not see any perferations (luckily I did not rip mine off).

It shold be something like this below:

<-- Don't tear off. Battery lifter tab.

In large bold type.

The confusion lies in this is the first phone i've seen that has a battery puller as part of that large peice. I've seen ribbons but they were not a tab on a larger peice of cloth. Anyhow, the protective plastic covers always have the little tab so subconsiously you think to remove it because it says pull. If the battery would have been in the phone then it would have been obvious.

It was many people that pulled their tabs off or Motorola would not have posted they implimented new printing on it to prevent it from continuing to happen.

The comparison is utterly flawed. I am not instructed to delete c:\system (to which I assume you're referring to c:\windows\system, of course) when buying a new PC. I'm not instructed to randomly rip parts from my Ferrari, when purchasing said car.

I was instructed to pull this tab. In doing so, it came away from the battery compartment, very easily. You don't own the device and, therefore, presumably have no direct experience of how easily this is achieved.

I'm not arguing, either. I'm countering what I believe to be flawed assertions. At this point, they don't appear to be particularly defensible.

See above. As you have not actually pulled the tab in the manner described, you're perhaps unaware of how easily it detaches from the phone itself. It required very little pressure. In fact, I believe there was a small perforation, aiding the ease of removal.

So, no, this is not correct (attempt at oneupmanship notwithstanding).

Well you see in goracer's post ..."I looked and did not see any perferations" just stating. It simple says "Pull" not "remove" and he was fortunate enough to pull the tab, and no REMOVE it. again, common sense.
Thank you goracer.

Super Stu

Reaction score
Well you see in goracer's post ..."I looked and did not see any perferations" just stating. It simple says "Pull" not "remove" and he was fortunate enough to pull the tab, and no REMOVE it. again, common sense.
Thank you goracer.

Droid X: That “Pull” Tab Behind the Battery Cover is for Battery Removal, Don’t Tear it Out! | Techerator

Do you see the small hole, near the tab? This is where my tab tore, the hole facilitating the rip. You're quite right, it is an unintentional perforation, but a perforation nevertheless.

The entire tab came away very easily, with very little pulling. No forcible attempt to simply "remove" was made. You have no experience in the matter and will, therefore, have to take the word of those who did so.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No one at fault, just a friendly reminder not to divulge into name calling or flaming :)

Thanks!