Droid X "Old Version"?

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
So I'm on My Verizon, and it says my phone is the "Motorola DROID X Old Version"?

I thought I had the new version if anything, my battery removal tab is red, and there's a label under the battery with info on the phone... So yeah I guess that's how you distinguish between the two.

But how else are the "old" and "new" versions different? I know a Droid X is a Droid X, but is the old version, I dunno, worth more in the long run if I were to sell it? And as I said, any other differences between the two?

Thanks as always!

Detonation

Reaction score
DROID X “Old Version” Appears in Verizon Accounts, What Does it Mean? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

The words “Motorola DROID X Old Version” are now appearing online in Verizon accounts across the country, leaving many of you wondering if this could have something to do with the DROID X2‘s imminent release. Sorry folks, but I think it actually has something to do with that pricing change from yesterday. If you happened to return to our post about the DX’s price drop to $149, you might have noticed an “Update 2″ which talks about a change from the 16GB SD card that original adopters enjoyed to the measly 2GB card that is now included. Normally when a significant change like this happens to a device, a brand new SKU is introduced to inventory systems which we’re thinking has prompted the distinction for “old version” and new version. Of course, I could be totally wrong and this could have something to do with the DX2, but I’m sort of doubting it.

enyalius

Reaction score
Wow, for once I am glad to have the 'old version' of something. A 2GB card in a powerhouse like the Droid X? That's just disappointing...

Rocko

Reaction score
Wow, for once I am glad to have the 'old version' of something. A 2GB card in a powerhouse like the Droid X? That's just disappointing...

That's how they can recoup some of the $50 they are discounting it.

enyalius

Reaction score

Please don't take this the wrong way, Rocko, but I really hope you're joking.

First off, I could buy a 16 GB microSD right now as a consumer for $34, and a 2 GB microSD for $8. Given how big Motorola/Verizon is, I sincerely doubt that they would pay anywhere near that much per card (especially when you figure in bulk discounting).

Furthermore, Verizon more than makes up for the cost of discounting a phone over the life of a contract. The price of the discount (and then some) is built into your plan cost, and is a major reason for the ETF (Early Termination Fees). Either way, they are guaranteed to make back at least the cost of the subsidy on the phone plus money for the service they provide.

Last edited:

Rocko

Reaction score

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, Rocko, but I hope you're joking.

First off, I could buy a 16 GB microSD right now as a consumer for $34, and a 2 GB microSD for $8. Given how big Motorola/Verizon is, I sincerely doubt that they would pay anywhere near that much per card (especially when you figure in bulk discounting).

Furthermore, Verizon more than makes up for the cost of discounting a phone over the life of a contract. The price of the discount (and then some) is built into your plan cost, and is a major reason for the ETF (Early Termination Fees). Either way, they are guaranteed to make back at least the cost of the subsidy on the phone plus money for the service they provide.

I don't take it the wrong way. The fact is the 2gb card costs them less than the 16gb card. They have lowered the price of the phone, they have lowered their cost of the phone. It's not much of a stretch to come to the conclusion that both coincide.

enyalius

Reaction score
This is true; my argument was just that Verizon didn't necessarily have to drop to a smaller SD card size in order to lower the price (which is what I thought you were arguing). The fact is that it's likely they could have dropped the price (form a purely monetary standpoint) without sacrificing the size of the included SD as they would end up making the money back anyway.

Rocko

Reaction score
This is true; my argument was just that Verizon didn't necessarily have to drop to a smaller SD card size in order to lower the price (which is what I thought you were arguing). The fact is that it's likely they could have dropped the price (form a purely monetary standpoint) without sacrificing the size of the included SD as they would end up making the money back anyway.

Oh I agree, they have plenty of chances to make it up. I think they figure most people won't notice and why not pocket the extra $25 or so bucks they save.

Short of users like us, most everyday joes never even know how big the sd card is or care for that matter.

davidglz

Reaction score
Droid X "Old Version"

"The words “Motorola DROID X Old Version” are now appearing online in Verizon accounts across the country." hi to all i just received my new Droid X today and soon i found it was more cheaper today so i call them and they lower the price from 199.99 to 149.99 plus tax.the thing i like it still come with the 16 gb memory card.this is my first time i got a Droid X and i hope works more better than my 3 replacement from BB Storm 2.thanks to all and keep the good work.ps:this is my first time here. :):byestorm:dancedroid

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I don't know, is it really the SD Card? I got a Droid X in November with the 16GB SD and underneath where the battery would go, it looked "newer'' than the back of my current Droid X, my first one wasn't listed as "Old Version".

Look at your battery pull tabs people, my new one is red, my old one was brown.

Last edited:

davidglz

Reaction score
I don't know, is it really the SD Card? I got a Droid X in November with the 16GB SD and underneath where the battery would go, it looked "newer'' than the back of my current Droid X, my first one wasn't listed as "Old Version".

yes alrealy look in my battery pull tab and is red.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Well I googled "Droid X battery tab" and found an article showing that the old battery tab is brown and the new Droid X's have red tabs. So then why is my DX OLD?! ITS NEW!

Beka27

Reaction score
I had heard that the change was NOT in the SD card, but rather in the internal memory...

Phranc

Reaction score

And mine is yellow.

Rocko

Reaction score
I had heard that the change was NOT in the SD card, but rather in the internal memory...

• 8 GB Internal memory for emails, texts, and apps
  • 2 GB microSD card pre–installed on–device — up to 32GB microSD supported
Nope, it's SD Card.