My Droid X Horror Story (don't pull the "pull" tab)

Eolly

Reaction score
backpeddling cause I got owned
seriously you attmept to flame then tuck your tale...passive aggressive much?

Owned How old are you? Children!!! I have my phone while he has to wait for another!!! Anyone with Common sense after trying to pull on the tape and it is not moving would look at the directions to see if it comes out or not.
36 if its really any of your business.
I have my phone too. And guess what I as many others pulled the tab off.
the tab getting pulled off is a scapegoat from the VZW people otherwise they wouldnt have replaced it for him.

As for looking at the directions...seriously are you that incapable of understanding there is nothing other than a do not cut that would remotely hint that its not suppose to be pulled all the way off?

You should stick to asking questions and trolling in your mind. Because last I looked your the idiot that had to research how to unbox your phone.

jhy001

Reaction score
me too, almost

I almost did that too! I saw the pull, pulled gently, and then read the
don't cut or whatever was next to it. Something just didn't "smell"
right, so I took it all to the Verizon store as they said just bring it
in and they would set it all up for me. I was only going to put the
battery in and give it a little charge anyway. I told them I wasn't
sure just how much I was supposed to "pull" out! (they didn't say
anything about other customers).

Glad to see I didn't miss the README FIRST (nonexistent) insert
that came with it. Maybe it will now!!!!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
seriously you attmept to flame then tuck your tale...passive aggressive much?

Owned How old are you? Children!!! I have my phone while he has to wait for another!!! Anyone with Common sense after trying to pull on the tape and it is not moving would look at the directions to see if it comes out or not.
36 if its really any of your business.
I have my phone too. And guess what I as many others pulled the tab off.
the tab getting pulled off is a scapegoat from the VZW people otherwise they wouldnt have replaced it for him.

As for looking at the directions...seriously are you that incapable of understanding there is nothing other than a do not cut that would remotely hint that its not suppose to be pulled all the way off?

You should stick to asking questions and trolling in your mind. Because last I looked your the idiot that had to research how to unbox your phone.

Wrong again little girl!!! It was before I got the phone! I did not get it on the 15th!!! Thats when I watched the unboxing video to see what comes in the box!!! I got mine on the 24th.. By your reaction I guess you don't read directions or look up things or read about things before you purchase it...For someone that is 36 you sure acted childish using words like owned!!! My 12 and 9 year old's talks like you so sorry for you..

LunaImages

Reaction score
That's scary. Although I didn't even realize it was an issue until I tried removing my battery. To my dismay, I realized my mistake. I'm with the guys on here saying it seemed "do not cut" meant "remove without scissors."

I think this is a god-awful design. Why not have a pressure-mount instead, where one simply pushes the battery downward into the connecting pins and pops upward? It's worked for so many phones in the past, including all the ones I've ever owned. I don't see a single reason why Motorola couldn't have done that, other than the plastic tab being a few bucks cheaper.

Fortunately for me (and I'm sorry for you), my phone works fine. I called Verizon and was assured there is no "antenna attachment" on the tab. I tend to believe this, as my phone is getting perfect 3G reception here in New Mexico. The only problem, I was told, is that I'll have to use another method (in my case, a thin knife) to carefully remove my battery. Thankfully, I don't have a need to remove it very often.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble.

LunaImages

Reaction score
Seriously, is it that big of a deal? I was mad for about two minutes and then realized no harm was done to the phone. I think the OP's problem is in the minority. I consulted all the manuals that came with the phone, and none of them said "THE PULL TAB IS USED TO REMOVE THE BATTERY." I'll just use a knife to remove the battery when I need to (which is rare) from here on out. Everything else functions the same.

Eolly

Reaction score
Wrong again little girl!!! It was before I got the phone! I did not get it on the 15th!!! Thats when I watched the unboxing video to see what comes in the box!!! I got mine on the 24th.. By your reaction I guess you don't read directions or look up things or read about things before you purchase it...For someone that is 36 you sure acted childish using words like owned!!! My 12 and 9 year old's talks like you so sorry for you..

It is quite funny how you started off trying to flame a guy for making a mistake. Then when you was made to look the role of a idiot you came back and back peddled out of your comments. Your the one trying to troll and be passive aggressive. My statement stands your the idiot that had to watch a video on how to unbox a phone.

As for researching products before I buy. I do but I didnt see anything about the pull tab until after I got mine on the 16th. Granted there was some threads started on the 15th but I missed them until people started making the same mistake.

droidxep

Reaction score
Im a nerd. I watched every video I could find and practically lived on this site for the two weeks I waited to get mine. I saw no mention in the forums or on video of the pull tab and like a lot of people yanked it right off.

BarbaraS

Reaction score
In case it helps, the way I removed the battery was by wedging a credit card in near the spot of the original pull tab, prying up the battery as much as I could, then gently using a small knife to get it out the rest of the way.

Thank you! My husband inserted my battery and removed the pull tab and I couldn't figure out how to pop it out. This helped immensely!

jamesrgeib

Reaction score
Back to the original post, sounds like a coincidence to me. I don't think removing the tab had anything to do with the phone not recognizing the battery. Just two bad things happening around the same time.

Back to the tab....I've had them in various electronic gizmos since the 1970's from keyboards to electronic football games. The original simon may have had one too. BUT, NONE of them had any writing on them. At the time, there was simply no other obvious function for the tab but to remove the batteries once inserted.

I did, however, find that many times relatives would have insterted batteries in their toys and then carefully placed the (usually red-colored and velvet like) tab back on top of the batteries. Not much good at that point!

In the age of lithium-ion backup batteries and coin batteries in certain devices, it is common to have tabs which are removed prior to using the device, and this is where the confusion comes in.

Now that there are tabs which have to be removed on certain devices, it's easy to see why someone would think to remove a tab in their phone that had the word "Pull" written on it.

Making the tab red or burgandy and out of some cloth material with NO words written on it would have clearly been a better, retro design!

LunaImages

Reaction score
Back to the original post, sounds like a coincidence to me. I don't think removing the tab had anything to do with the phone not recognizing the battery. Just two bad things happening around the same time.

Back to the tab....I've had them in various electronic gizmos since the 1970's from keyboards to electronic football games. The original simon may have had one too. BUT, NONE of them had any writing on them. At the time, there was simply no other obvious function for the tab but to remove the batteries once inserted.

I did, however, find that many times relatives would have insterted batteries in their toys and then carefully placed the (usually red-colored and velvet like) tab back on top of the batteries. Not much good at that point!

In the age of lithium-ion backup batteries and coin batteries in certain devices, it is common to have tabs which are removed prior to using the device, and this is where the confusion comes in.

Now that there are tabs which have to be removed on certain devices, it's easy to see why someone would think to remove a tab in their phone that had the word "Pull" written on it.

Making the tab red or burgandy and out of some cloth material with NO words written on it would have clearly been a better, retro design!

THUMBS UP TO THIS POST!!! Exactly my reasoning when I pulled it out.