My Droid screen shattered!!!

wish i would have waited and took it to verizon instead of filing insurance. i'm probably getting a refurb too

So if Verizon will fix it what is the point of having insurance?
Am i wasting $8 a month?

Were you skiing with the phone in your pocket? I'm wondering if the cold made the glass more likely to shatter when dropped?

no i had just got there and was putting my boots on

you know.. this is pretty interesting. Personally, I've noticed that the droid screen is indestructible.

I immediately thought of the parallel of the Titanic.... the "unsinkable" ship... and we all know how *that* turned out. ;)

I think the cold might have something to do with it. My previous phone was an LG Dare. I was skiing with it in the pocket of my jacket and took a fall. The top of my pole hit my chest but not that hard. When I got down from the run I pulled out my phone and the screen was completely shattered.

BTW I had no insurance on it but VZ replaced it for only $50 so I can verify that this does happen.

got my replacement today and im stoked because it is new in the box with all the accessories and the return mailing envelope says "only return the device, no accessories or battery" so at least i got something for my 90 bucks

got my replacement today and im stoked because it is new in the box with all the accessories and the return mailing envelope says "only return the device, no accessories or battery" so at least i got something for my 90 bucks

Cracking it sucks and that pic was painful, but at least you got a new device for your insurance money.

I too shattered the screen of my Droid! Scratch proof? Yes. Shatter proof? NO!

I bought it on release day from Best Buy, and I turned down the extended warranty and didn't sign up for the insurance from Verizon. I took the phone to my local Verizon store, when the girl behind the counter asked how she could help, I simply handed it to her. She typed a bit into the monitor and said "We can send you a replacement phone for $50." It'll be delivered tomorrow.

Was told by friends to get a Body Glove case for it. Reading the post, however it looks like the BG case isn't going to solve the problem.

Oh, and yes my co-worker snapped the pick with an iPhone, much to my chagrin.

My best guess is that while gorilla glass is scratchproof,it must have some sort of tempering which would explain why it shatters like it does.
Has anyone noticed that alot of the broken ones appear to have taken corner hits?

I noticed that too aristo. I don't think the body glove is deserving the hating it's getting here. There is no possible way to protect that corner anymore than they do (slight piece of rubber goes around the whole phone so no matter what rubber hits first). Around the screen though is the thinnest part, which is to be expected. No one would buy a phone if it was literally covered in rubber which would save it from a fall, but would make it annoying to use.

I guess the lesson is the worst spot for the phone to hit is on an edge of the screen. I really am thinking about taking off my insurance though since it's cheaper to get a replacement phone for $50 instead of through insurance.

I noticed that too aristo. I don't think the body glove is deserving the hating it's getting here. There is no possible way to protect that corner anymore than they do (slight piece of rubber goes around the whole phone so no matter what rubber hits first). Around the screen though is the thinnest part, which is to be expected. No one would buy a phone if it was literally covered in rubber which would save it from a fall, but would make it annoying to use.

I guess the lesson is the worst spot for the phone to hit is on an edge of the screen. I really am thinking about taking off my insurance though since it's cheaper to get a replacement phone for $50 instead of through insurance.

LOL that does seem to be the case doesnt it:)

Note, my phone didn't take a corner shot. It landed almost flat, face down on a tile floor. It wasn't completely flat, as one side is more shattered than the other, but it landed on the glass, not on the corner.

I'm was of the opinion that the Body Glove would have saved my phone from this horrible fate - maybe/maybe not. I'm not willing to try it on purpose to see how it measures up. Most likely I'll get the Seidio Innocase for my replacement.

Here's to hoping that the replacement is new and not a refurb.

Completely correct in that if it was a fully covered rubberized phone, no one would want it.

Back