My droid is void

Luella78

Reaction score
I bought the first Droid motorola when it first came out almost 2 years ago. Last night I dropped it in the water and it is done. I figured I would go ahead and use my upgrade to get a new droid but I wanted to do some research first. These are the things I liked about my DROID:

1. Google Maps
2. Keyboard
3. MP3 player

However, there were many other things I disliked:

1. Battery life was horriable
2. Gliches in email sync
3. The back cover would stick out
4. Just making a simple phone call was very complicated
5. It would "accidently" call people or drop calls because of gliches with the touch feature
6. It was bulky and large
7. The charger port never made a good connection with my car charger.
8. Slow operating system

So, when I upgrade I would like to fix some of these things. I noticed that most all the new motorola models are bigger then what I had so I am not sure I am even going to get a motorola as I would like to find something smaller if possible. Any suggestions??

Markster1

Reaction score
HTC Incredible 2

Lighter, 4" screen, snappier user interface altho battery life may not be any better.

Sent from my Incredible 2

ChezJfrey

Reaction score
FYI

I'm not yet eligible for an upgrade. I also fish a lot and even though I've gotten smarter about keeping my phone in a zip lock while I'm wading around in rivers/streams, I don't always get the bag sealed well. I've had my phone drenched several times either while in a pocket or backpack during the rain, or from falling down and submerging in the water. I actually still have a working D1 after several water dunkings by doing the following:

Immediately take out the battery and SD card -- dry them off and keep them somewhere 'safe'
As soon as possible, put the phone on a towel, with the battery door off, on a cookie sheet in the oven at the lowest heat setting with the oven door slightly ajar for several hours.
Flip it around a few times on the towel in the oven
Let it cool, then put the SD and batter back in and plug into a charger

Again, I've done this several times and I'm still using the same phone, running strong.

As for battery life, Chevy's SS and one of his LV kernel has been a godsend in that area!

Markster1

Reaction score
I think a bowl of rice would work just as well if not better as it's really not recommended to subject electronics to heat like that.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
A bowl of rice does nothing as rice absorbs water but it doesn't attract it. The rice would have to come in contact with the water to be effective, it won't pull the small bits of water "out" of the phone.

Markster1

Reaction score
Rice acts as a wicking agent drying the surrounding air encouraging evaporation.

Those silica packets you put in your safe to dry up the air do the same thing.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
However, there were many other things I disliked:

1. Battery life was horriable
4. Just making a simple phone call was very complicated
8. Slow operating system
Battery life and OS performance are going to be greatly affected by your specfiic usage. Don't assume that simply picking the "right" device will resolve those items for you. A faster device helps but even it can be bogged down.

What, exactly were your problems with placing phone calls? It's fairly straightforward on the Droid and I'm not sure that any device out there makes it any easier. What are you specifically looking for to make phone calls easier for you? Details matter.