My Droid Apparently Likes Rebooting

NVash

Reaction score
This just started happening a few hours ago. I got a txt alert and went to check who it was from, phone rebooted. I let it reboot and it worked fine for an hour or so. I start getting txts again, each time I try to check them it reboots. I did a Battery Pull, its still rebooting. I have Handcent SMS but I doubt thats the problem. Dont know if its any apps either because I havent installed anything in the last few hours and it worked fine before. It just seems to enjoy rebooting itself out of nowhere now. Can anyone help?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This just started happening a few hours ago. I got a txt alert and went to check who it was from, phone rebooted. I let it reboot and it worked fine for an hour or so. I start getting txts again, each time I try to check them it reboots. I did a Battery Pull, its still rebooting. I have Handcent SMS but I doubt thats the problem. Dont know if its any apps either because I havent installed anything in the last few hours and it worked fine before. It just seems to enjoy rebooting itself out of nowhere now. Can anyone help?

Do you have any task killing applications or virus protection? If you do delete those first. If problems continue then you may have to do a hard factory reset. If you can, back up your apps. If you can't don't worry about it your paid apps will still be available in your downloads folder and you can get your other apps back on an as needed basis.

OP
NVash

NVash

Reaction score
No, I have none of those. Never bothered with a task killer and never got around to virus protection.

How do I back up my apps?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Applications like My Backup Pro allow you to back up to the internet. I think Titanium does too. Then you would reinstall there.

If you go this route slowly add your apps back in. You want to find out what caused the problem, and run it without out any apps for at least a day to see if it restarts on you after the factory wipe. That would mean you need to exchange it if it does.

OP
NVash

NVash

Reaction score
See I dont know if I can. IIRC I dont have insurance, it was a present, and I got it way back in November.

How does one do this Hard Factory Reset?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP
NVash

NVash

Reaction score
Okay thanks. Ill give it some time and see if it keeps up this madness then if so Ill reset it.

EDIT:
I was charging it using the factory charger and an extension cord during this. I took it off the charger for txts, it worked fine. On it, it reboot itself. I figure that may be it, but I just tried to txt again now that its fully charged and it reset once more. It reminds me of that old prank hackers used to do, causing a CD drive to keep popping out on computers to spook people. It seems to reset out of nowhere and frankly its getting on my nerves. Just when you think everythings cool, it resets again. Looking at it now, I put it down, went to do something else and looked at it again, thing rebooted out of nowhere.

OP
NVash

NVash

Reaction score
Well last night I got tired of it rebooting. Whenever I got a txt, whenever I tried to answer a txt, even sometimes Id just look at it, it would either reboot or be in the middle of rebooting. I didnt back up my apps at all, I wrote down a list of all the apps I had, then completed the wipe. Afterwards I slowly added some in. I know, I was supposed to let it go without apps at all, but I had to have some. If I didnt, Im back to having a regular cell phone and I just couldnt take that. Doing this I realized I had a ton of apps that I never used and soundboards that just werent needed. With it wiped, I just redownloaded the ones I used and I must say, not only do I have a very small percentage of the apps I used to, now the phone is faster than ever. :icon_ banana:

Now if only I could figure out why my Menu button on the touch screen is differently colored than the rest of my buttons. Friend of mine says its because I dropped it too much.

OP
NVash

NVash

Reaction score
Oddly, it has started it again. I was just about to answer a txt pop up from Handcent when I realized there was two txts. So I swipe to go to the next one and here comes a reboot. Considering I was moving so fast I figured it might just need a reboot, all was fine. WRONG. It proceeded to come on, boot up and reboot about three times before I pulled the battery out. I put it back in, it reboots twice. I take out the battery now and left it next to it for a few minutes. Now I put it back in and it seems to be working fine, but Ill be honest Im getting sick of this. If I put it back in and it rebooted again Id be on my way to Verizon for a new phone. That definately calls for one, IMHO. The thing couldnt even finish booting up before it would reboot again.

And no, I wasnt quite feeling up to doing another wipe. That didnt take near as long as it should have but then I had to get the apps back, set everything up, I just dont feel like it. I figure if it does that again Im taking it to the store and trying to get another one.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
That's why I waited until December to get mine. I figured the very first models might have some hardware or software bugs. My suggestion would honestly be to follow hookbill's advice exactly, even if that means having a completely stock phone for a day. After that, take it to Verizon and see about a replacement. I'd push for a new phone and not a refurbished one if you can get it at little or no cost.

bpjen

Reaction score
This is weird. I have had my droid since they came out, and this rebooting problem just started this afternoon. It actually happened constantly all afternoon. I went to a nearby Verizon store and they swapped it out right away. I just finished downloading some apps, setting up my email and guess what... it started happening again. I doubt it is a hardware problem at this point, if I find anything out, I will certainly update.

OP
NVash

NVash

Reaction score
My friend said he had the same problem but it just stopped. Mine did after awhile too, I think it was that battery pull where I left the battery out for fifteen minutes. It still resets every once in awhile but for the most part it's doing okay.