So Were Back To This Again... Reboot

NVash

Reaction score
Well after awhile of going perfectly fine my Droid decided the day before yesterday that it would go on a rebooting fit that lasted for what seemed like forever but was probably around 15 minutes. Few things I noticed.

1) It seemed to happen when I got more than one txt at a time
2) It wouldnt even load all the way before it rebooted again
3) It occasionally got far enough to tell me that the process wasnt working. I think the process was the Android OS and it offered a Force Close option, Wait or Report. I think I went for Report but again, it rebooted before I could
4) Many times the phone would seem to be fine as it rebooted then it would load up the number of txts I have and reboot again. Each time the number would either be higher or I wouldnt even get to see it before it reboot again
5) When I finally got sick of it rebooting and attempted to shut it off it would not let me. It would either not even load up long enough for me to tell it to shut down or reboot in the middle of shutting down

Eventually it cut it out with that madness long enough for me to shut it down. Battery pull didnt help, it just resumed rebooting. But I shut it down and left it alone for an hour or so then turned it back on. Everything was fine. Then again, yesterday it did it again. Again, battery pull didnt help. Same things I mentioned before I noticed this time as well except I also noticed that it seemed to be struggling to load my txts up. I have Handcent on my Droid and the Pop Up option enabled. It seemed to try to load up the Pop Up and reboot in the middle of trying or in the middle of my trying to get to my txts. I tried to go to Settings to shut off the Pop Up thinking that was the problem, rebooted again. I finally accessed my txts then got it off and gave it some time. Now it is again working fine.

Im not the only one having this problem, my friend did as well and he wiped his just yesterday. Still, his is rebooting. I dont know if anyone recalls, my phone has done this before and I wiped it once already. Im not too thrilled with doing it again and am beginning to think its either the phone or Handcent itself. Ive read online there is a bug in the original Droids that cause random reboots, dont know if thats the problem here but both of us have the originals.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...9487-my-droid-apparently-likes-rebooting.html
Heres the original thread I posted from the first time it did this mess.

It should also be noted that earlier, just when I thought it was done and the phone was acting right again, it rebooted again. Out of nowhere. There wasnt a ton of txts coming in, I was just txting my friend. It only did it once though. Usually it just keeps rebooting over and over, this one was once so I didnt think much of it.

So does anyone have any ideas whats wrong here? Any solutions maybe? My Droid was a present in November, I talked to the one who got it for me and she told me that chances are I cant get another one without paying full price. Ill be honest, Im not trying to pay full price if the phone is defective. I dont want a new phone. I like this phone alot and am happy with it. But this rebooting out of nowhere mess has got to stop, and this isnt the first time nor will it be the last Im sure.

Zahoor

Reaction score
U still have a 1 year warranty on it..just call them up and get a new one for free..that's wat I didn't a week ago when my droid was acting up

OP
NVash

NVash

Reaction score
Thanks, Im glad to know that. But the problem still remains.

Is this a problem with other Droids or is it just ours? Id hate to return my Droid and get a new one, set it up just like this one and then have it start rebooting on me again. Anyone know? Anyone experience similar problems?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Im glad to know that. But the problem still remains.

Is this a problem with other Droids or is it just ours? Id hate to return my Droid and get a new one, set it up just like this one and then have it start rebooting on me again. Anyone know? Anyone experience similar problems?

Droid does not do rebooting unless there is an issue. Are you running task killers, virus software? Get rid of them if you are.

Also when you did your wipe how exactly did you do it? Did you do a hard wipe with the phone off, holding the X key and pressing volume up and camera button? Or did you do a wipe from the Factory Data Reset in the Privacy Section?

I'm betting you have a rogue app causing the issue.

OP
NVash

NVash

Reaction score
No task killers or virus software and I did do the hard wipe with the phone off.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/2071-how-hard-reset-your-motorola-droid.html
These directions. Id agree with you on the rogue app part. I think its Handcent because as I said, it seemed to struggle to load up my txts and start rebooting. Ive even Emailed the developers and have yet to receive a response. But theres a few errors in that logic. First thing is that it reboots even when there isnt a problem there, such as once I was txting and it just froze up and rebooted. I did have a txt when it came back on but usually I have more than one coming in at a time when it does that and itll keep rebooting until I guess it decides its a good time to stop. Second, my friend wiped his phone the same way and recently his has rebooted again out of nowhere. Only once he said, but even so.

So thats why Im asking here. I know we arent the only ones using Handcent. Is it just us or has anyone else experienced problems here? Is Handcent really the rogue app that he and I believe it is, once you start txting a few people at a time it goes haywire or is it just our phones?

droid restarting itself - Google Search
We arent the first ones with this problem. Whether or not it is the same as these guys I do not know and that is what Im trying to find out. If its Handcent were going to be some sad guys because we love Handcent. But thats better than just taking it to the store, getting a new one and watching that reboot over and over. Know what I mean?

EDIT:
Again, I just went to check my txts and my phone rebooted. My friend, the very same whos is rebooting, was txting me. Apparently ours rebooted at around the same time. He thinks its having the txt window open whilst txting but thats a little too hard to not do. Its more than likely always open whether youre txting or even recieving a txt. Again, it was only once this time and not a loop. Im thinking its Handcent but wondering why no one else has said anything.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...5-handcent-causing-constant-reboot-cycle.html
I stand corrected. Anyone else having problems?

Last edited: