Handcent causing constant reboot cycle

inevittable

Reaction score
I'm not rooted and just using LauncherProBeta for my home launcher. My phone, just starting this evening, was working fine and then began a constant reboot cycle. Finally got it to hold out long enough for me to uninstall Handcent and the phone works fine. Reinstalled handcent and when I go to open the program, it loads up the main screen and then reboots my Droid.

Anybody know wtf is going on? I loved Handcent and never had any probs with my droid or the program.

OP
I

inevittable

Reaction score
haha, thanks, but that's my thread too. Couldn't figure out how to edit the title of the thread or link the two...

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know, that's why I linked it. Double posting is generally frowned upon, and for troubleshooting purposes, it's better that you keep all of the info in one place.

OP
I

inevittable

Reaction score
right, my apologies, generally don't start threads just post comments. good to know though! sorry!

Dafranchise

Reaction score
I posted the same message on another forum hoping for assistance with basically the same problem, except my problem occurs only when I move text messages to the trash bin in Handcent. If I delete a message, its an automatic reboot.

mcinvaille

Reaction score
Quick question, why would you even suspect Handcent if it had never caused problems before? Just curious; if I was having the same issue Handcent would probably be one of the last Apps I would suspect.

OP
I

inevittable

Reaction score
Quick question, why would you even suspect Handcent if it had never caused problems before? Just curious; if I was having the same issue Handcent would probably be one of the last Apps I would suspect.

Absolutely agree, never had issues with Handcent until this problem. The only reason I suspected Handcent was because when I could get the phone to reboot and stay on, everytime I went into Handcent, it would load very slowly and then kick into the reboot cycle. When I had my Droid up and running and didn't attempt to open Handcent, everything was fine. This is what initially prompted me to uninstall.

Everything seems to be working fine now, so I'm not sure if my Droid just hit a glich or something or if there really was something wrong with my version of Handcent. Either way, thanks for the help everybody.

Los

Reaction score

Absolutely agree, never had issues with Handcent until this problem. The only reason I suspected Handcent was because when I could get the phone to reboot and stay on, everytime I went into Handcent, it would load very slowly and then kick into the reboot cycle. When I had my Droid up and running and didn't attempt to open Handcent, everything was fine. This is what initially prompted me to uninstall.

Everything seems to be working fine now, so I'm not sure if my Droid just hit a glich or something or if there really was something wrong with my version of Handcent. Either way, thanks for the help everybody.
I'm having the same problem and it is soo annoying. I also think it is Handcent because when I don't use it and I use the default messenger my phone is fine. But if I start to use Handcent or if my phone is locked and a pop up from Handcent comes up it will reboot my phone.

Now what happened with me was I had heard about how great Handcent was and everything a few days ago. So download it, installed it, and started customizing it. I love it, the app is amazing. It started to reboot every time I went to read a text message or a pop up came in. I read this, cleared my cache, and even uninstalled Handcent. It was working fine again once I installed it again. But then I customized it fully. Different LED light, ringtone, and notification icon for certain individuals. Shortly after that, it started rebooting again. I'm thinking all these customizations has something to do with this??

Has a solution been found for this yet? Should I just email the developer?

seank80

Reaction score
I was having the same exact problem. It happened after I updated handcent. I was able to get it to stop by using advanced app killer and ending all the apps that way. It was really annoying and took a while to figure out how to get it to stop but I have been using handcent for a few days without a problem.

Los

Reaction score
I've Handcent uninstalled for about two days now and I've had not one reboot or any other problem with my Droid. I'm going to install it again right now and if my phone starts rebooting again I'll email the developer and hope that he fixes it asap.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Unfortunately Handcent has had a rash of complaints from Moto Droid users on the comments section in the market.
I used to use the app religiously awhile back. But I too started having all sorts of issues with Handcent. Anything from deleting all my messages to never sending msgs. to crashing the phone...and anything inbetween. The program worked flawlessly for me when we were running Android 2.0
When 2.1 hit the Droids, it went haywire for lots of people. And now on 2.2 it doesn't seem much better (at least for me).
For the life of me, I can't get the LED to work like the stock msg app does.
I know 2.1 made it so you only get the LED flashing when the screen is off. I hated that switch by Google...but whatever. The problem with Handcent is that the LED did indeed blink when I received a text, but it only flashed once....and for like 3-4 seconds solid. If I was looking at my turned-off screen 5 minutes later, I would never have known I had an awaiting msg.
Unfortunately, the stock msg. app leave much to be desired so I reluctantly went with Chomp.
Not quite as many features, but it works. And I guess that's what matters the most.

Even though Handcent has been updated a few times since the release of 2.1, I feel the developer really hasn't gotten a clue, IMO.
Other phones seem to run it flawlessly. But the Moto Droid seems to be the exception, whether rooted or not.

The above is my personal experience. Others may have better luck with it.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only time I ever had problems with handcent was back when I was a newbie and thought task killers were a good thing. I killed EVERYTHING several times a day with my task killer. Then all of my text messages were deleted once. From that point on, I have only used a task killer when my phone lagged badly (maybe once a month), and havent had any problems, especially with handcent. My broswer crashes about every 15 minutes now, but I think thats a kernel issue.

godsondov

Reaction score
I have a i1 or nexus 1 brand new and i installed handcent none of my messages send... i uninstall and use defualt message app no problems.. wtf?

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
What version of android are all of you running? Has the problem always existed or did it just start recently?