My Droid 4 story :(

huskur

Reaction score
This story is sad but very true (with a happy ending).

My "droidom" started with the OG Droid. I loved everything about it. At contract end i used my upgrade for a Droid X. The X is a nice phone but its not exactly what i have been yearning for. In transition curiosity got the best of me. Why did so many people stand in line for these Apple products? Yes, sadly i ventured to a iPhone 4S. I gave it a couple of months to grow on me. Well, it never did. It's a nice product but just not Android. Finally!!! The DROID 4!! I was hyped up for this phone! Bigger screen, awesome keyboard, nano coating....ect...

I get the phone in from fedex and just look at it for a day or two reading about the features and understanding the ins and outs of SIM cards. (I am just that way-I want to know about devices before i use them) Great features and much upgraded from the OG droid and the X (i hated the hard keys on the X). This is the issue with the D4. I charged it overnight then activated it around 6 a.m. By noon it was at 10% battery life. What? You have to be kidding me! Charged it again. By 9 p.m. it was under 10%. Unacceptable. The battery on the OG wasn't really that bad and on the X i always used the extended battery. With the D4 you cannot get extended batteries due to the battery not being removable. That in itself is failure by Moto. (the iphone battery would get me through all day, I need that) I have no desire to have my "mobile" cell phone "tethered" to a wall socket or car charger or power pack all the time. FYI- That was the solution given to me by VZW. "You need to make sure its plugged in whenever possible that way you have power when you are out" and "6-8 hours is the normal battery life of the D4" What kind of crap is that? Even at home i am all over the place doing things. Outside doing yardwork, working in the garage, washing cars....you get the point. What good is the phone on the cradle and not on my side. (maybe a D4 will come out with a bigger battery soon)(I also hear the Razr is terrible to)

Anyway, I loved it for its features but had to go back to the iphone 4S :( Though the 4S is only temporary. Very temporary to be exact! I just got an email telling me that my RAZR MAXX has just shipped!!!!

I will write a review on it after a week or so.

Last edited:

amishdude01

Reaction score
Sad sad story, but I totally understand where you are coming from. I came from a extended battery on my X myself. I keep giving the d4 battery chance after chance and keep telling my self that its going to get better... but it never does. I love the phone though, I cant give it up. I just HOPE that someone makes an extended battery for this thing somehow. Till then, the charger will never be out of my sight. =(. Have fun with the MAXX though. I do envy that. =)

r314bd

Reaction score
If you had rooted your D4, frozen the bloatware from this thread, and enabled a few smart actions, I am almost certain that would have fixed the problem.

Here's a screenshot of my D4 having been off the charger for 32 hours and still at 23%:

yBWYs.png

amishdude01

Reaction score
If you had rooted your D4, frozen the bloatware from this thread, and enabled a few smart actions, I am almost certain that would have fixed the problem.

Here's a screenshot of my D4 having been off the charger for 32 hours and still at 23%:

yBWYs.png

But like, how often do you use your phone? Im only asking because I see that the display only takes up 6% of your battery life. Plus I dont see voice calls up there. =(

R2D|2OID

Reaction score
Lol, newb. My Droid4 battery has gotten better each power cycle over the last 2 weeks, and it continues to improve. You need to give it some time.

rwreuter

Reaction score
i also have found that the battery gets better after each cycle.

though, i do question his display percentage........6%.....can you even see your screen?

hellmonkey

Reaction score
But like, how often do you use your phone? Im only asking because I see that the display only takes up 6% of your battery life. Plus I dont see voice calls up there. =(

How much do you use the phone? I still have my d2 and under light use, I can easily get 30-36 hours of the battery with push email from 8 am to 6 pm. If I game or use my phone heavily, I can easily kill it 5-6 hours.

amishdude01

Reaction score
How much do you use the phone? I still have my d2 and under light use, I can easily get 30-36 hours of the battery with push email from 8 am to 6 pm. If I game or use my phone heavily, I can easily kill it 5-6 hours.

Ill take it off the charger at 100% around 745am. Ill go to class for 4 hours and check facebook, and send a few texts, and maybe play a game for about 15 mins throughout the 4 hours. Ill get back around noon and ill have 70% left. I usually get around 6-8 hours max per charge. But i am a heavy user when I get home. I have to turn off 4g as well because it drains my battery since I live in a bad 4g area. I have to charge my phone twice a day. =(

hellmonkey

Reaction score
Did you turn of wireless and gps location features? That seems to be a big one that can kill batteries pretty quick. Also, if rooted, try freezing apps.

amishdude01

Reaction score
Ya its all off. =( And thats funny you mentioned rooting and freezing apps because I just literally did that within the past 30 mins haha. Hopefully this works. We'll see though. I have high hopes.

hellmonkey

Reaction score
Ya its all off. =( And thats funny you mentioned rooting and freezing apps because I just literally did that within the past 30 mins haha. Hopefully this works. We'll see though. I have high hopes.

I hope it works out for you. The first thing I noticed when I ROMd my D2 was how much faster it was and the better battery life. All that mung really takes it toll on a phone.

Hooks405

Reaction score
Battery life varies depending on the user my droid 4s display uses 36% of battery, but dont get me wrong i use my phone alot and the more you use your device the less your battery is going to last. Especially if your watching videos, tethering, or getting on twitter or facebook every 5 minutes. If i were to use my phone for basic functions such as text and calls my phone would last atleast 1d 8h

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

Last edited:

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Thank you for the post Husker...This leads me to believe that unless major advances in battery tech come to fruition within the next year I may just stick with my dinosaur D2 for a while.

ELScardio

Reaction score
Yea i noticed a difference in battery life. I myself came from an iphone 4 and its battery is better and that phone came out a year and a half to two years ago. But i still love my driod 4 without a doubt. Best phone i've ever had.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

OP
huskur

huskur

Reaction score

yBWYs.png

OK....Not saying that its not true but highly unlikely to get 32 hours from any Droid between charges period. I don't care if its rooted, non rooted....ect. Only way i can see this (still its unlikely) is that the phone is just used to sit on a desk and look good.

If you use the phone for what its for you are not going to get 32 hours out of it and thats with all bloatware frozen.

If indeed your statement is true then you got the only D4 with a extended battery.

Just glad to have the Maxx on its way. With your theory of battery power, I should get a week of my new phone.

Last edited: