My Bionic has died :(

lykofos

Reaction score
My Bionic has died :(...but is now reborn!

It was working fine last night and was turned on when I plugged it into the wall charger before going to bed. Woke up this morning to check my messages and the phone was turned off (while still plugged into the wall charger). Nothing happens when I hold the power button in. Tried swapping in my extended battery...power button still not functioning.

Took it to Verizon this morning and they couldn't get it to power up either. It seems to be completely FUBAR'd / hard bricked. They said they don't carry replacements in-store anymore either, so I have to wait till Monday/Tuesday for the replacement to arrive. Not very happy being without a phone for a few days!

:angry:

Last edited:

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Just to make sure, did you charge it up for about 45 minutes with a charger you're POSITIVE works? When the battery dies completely, the phone has to be temporarily charged before it comes back on. Maybe somehow it died overnight and hasn't had enough charge??

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
+1

Just to make sure, did you charge it up for about 45 minutes with a charger you're POSITIVE works? When the battery dies completely, the phone has to be temporarily charged before it comes back on. Maybe somehow it died overnight and hasn't had enough charge??

This is absolutely right, it can take up to an hour to even get the power off charge display up if the battery is totally discharged. Strangely I discovered the quickest way is a P893 moto portable power supply plugged into the phone, that little sucker has some sophistcated circuitry. I'm baffled with what it can do since it's rated output is only about 2/3 of a wallcharger. The trick with a wallcharger is being absolutely certain it works, my guess is that you have a failed charger or that you weren't plugged in good at either the charger or the phone, I've wasted a whole night charge time before because I grabbed the cable out of the PC after I flashed something on my D1, plugged it into the wallcharger and my bionic and went to sleep, woke up with phone at 5% because I hadn't seated the USB into the wallcharger far enough.

OP
lykofos

lykofos

Reaction score
Yep, before I took it to Verizon, I had already tried taking out the standard battery that was in it when it died and swapping in a fully charged extended battery. Still nothing. Must have been some kind of hardware malfunction.

I'm just hoping that when I send it back after the replacement arrives that I don't get charged full price if verizon repair gets it to power up. It was rooted and I had changed the color of the droid eye splash screen that pops up during boot-up. But it's highly improbable that either of those caused the failure, as I rooted about 6 months ago and haven't had any problems until now.

Also, I'm a bit worried about data security. Obviously, all of my app / browser passwords are stored in the phone internally and since the phone is hard bricked I can't format the phone to ensure protection of my data before I send it back. I'm hoping that wherever Verizon sends the phones for repair that they have a policy of wiping the data.

OP
lykofos

lykofos

Reaction score
Just tried it. Same result. I've never had a phone just randomly die like this before, especially after it was working great since I bought it on release day.

eye_dea

Reaction score
Leave it plugged into pc for awhile with battery in it...then try to power up

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen ... may we observe this moment of silence for our fallen family member....

OP
lykofos

lykofos

Reaction score
Got the overnight delivery replacement via FedEx this afternoon and sending the broken one back. The replacement that arrived today had a "Like-New Certified Replacement" sticker on the front, everything seems ok with it though. Just spent the past 2.5hrs configuring settings and re-installing apps. Then I have to start restoring the app data with TiBu.

This one came with .902 already on it too. On my original Bionic I used DHacker's r3l34s3d root program, but had to use the MotoFail program this time. Worked flawlessly. Feels good to to have a working phone again.