My battery is on fire. WTF?

Dawnrenae

Reaction score
Ok, so, the last couple of days, my phone battery has been overheating. I turn it off for like 10 minutes cuz it gets up to like 104 degrees.

Why does it get so hot?

I'm playing a radio station for like an hour while chillin at work. Any ideas?

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Are you charging and streaming at the same time? 104° is not that hot, the ambient temperature for the battery is relatively high.

Caesars

Reaction score
How far above 104 does it go?

Return of the Android

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
4g?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Caesars said:
How far above 104 does it go?

Return of the Android

Mine will routinely hit 117° charging, room temp about 105°. The on screen thermal protection warning comes on about 120° give or take, I've checked it as high as 127° when it appeared. Only get to that temp when charging (hot area) and utilizing CPU etc. BTW when it vets that hot I put it on a time out and set it on the AC vent and ice cube it.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine will routinely hit 117° charging, room temp about 105°. The on screen thermal protection warning comes on about 120° give or take, I've checked it as high as 127° when it appeared. Only get to that temp when charging (hot area) and utilizing CPU etc. BTW when it vets that hot I put it on a time out and set it on the AC vent and ice cube it.

put it charging in the fridge

OP
D

Dawnrenae

Reaction score
I only get the overheating message when I’m not charging. And it gets so hot, I can’t even touch the phone...

I am sure it should warm up with use, but just seems odd that it should get so hot.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
if its on 4g and ur indoors with certain types of buildings it will heat up... happens to me at home and work... wifi keeps it a lot cooler

OP
D

Dawnrenae

Reaction score
My temp has gone up to 127 degrees. Very hot. Could be the 4g. I hardly ever use WiFi. Will my phone get damaged?

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Extended use at high temps can melt the inside components, yes.

s_cuttic

Reaction score
I've gotten close to 110° but it's only when I'm running bit torrent and I'm downloading large files. My phone used to freeze up or lag really bad til I paused/finished the download and it cooled down.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
s_cuttic said:
I've gotten close to 110° but it's only when I'm running bit torrent and I'm downloading large files. My phone used to freeze up or lag really bad til I paused/finished the download and it cooled down.

Your not pushing to its limits, first one that hits 150° wins. (And needs a new phone) lol.

brucefulton

Reaction score
Oh, please, air temp in Arizona in summer is 105 - 120 in the shade. At 104, I'd hold it to my head to cool off.

Ok, so, the last couple of days, my phone battery has been overheating. I turn it off for like 10 minutes cuz it gets up to like 104 degrees.

Why does it get so hot?

I'm playing a radio station for like an hour while chillin at work. Any ideas?