Must use Motorola brand usb cable to connect bionic to computer?

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
guys it has nothing to do with Moto or not. Except as others have said these things are 4 strand cables when one strand breaks you can still charge a unit but the data path is gone. Simple answer, USB cables are all the same, and all USB cables are NOT the same.

USB pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
guys it has nothing to do with Moto or not. Except as others have said these things are 4 strand cables when one strand breaks you can still charge a unit but the data path is gone. Simple answer, USB cables are all the same, and all USB cables are NOT the same.

Guy, I'm sorry, but I've tried 5 cables. All of which work fine with my Eris and an mp3 player. Two of those are from the Bionic and X2, both are Motorola. They are the only two that work. They charge, but there is no way to get them to transfer data. They aren't broken because they work on other devices. There is SOMETHING going on, be it marketing or technical difficulties.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
The ones from monoprice for a buck work and are ten feet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Renae

Reaction score

That is all fine and good, but why did the non moto one work with my d1 the day before, got a bionic and no luck, had to use the genuine cable. There is something else going on here. I don't know the answer but its not a broken data line on the old cable.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some USB cords are for charging only and the pins are only partially wired up. That could be the problem in some cases, especially if the cord came from a charger for a non-smartphone device.

My old Blackberry cable works fine with my Bionic.

crxlvr

Reaction score
I used three different brands of cable and they all work. Are you sure ur changing the usb mode to pc and not on charge only

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

TheWGP

Reaction score
I went ahead and cut apart an old LG cable that did not work. It did not have 4 wires inside it. It's worth mentioning that it was for an old LG dumbphone.

I'm going to go ahead and say a few things:

1) Many of those who are experiencing problems seem to mention LG cables
2) Many of those who are experiencing problems seem to mention older cables or cables they don't know the source of
3) Those who have no issues seem to be using cables for data devices or newer, presumably standards-compliant cables.

If you order a new cable from Monoprice, I'm positive it will work.