Must use Motorola brand usb cable to connect bionic to computer?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
While I agree with your statement, that it is a standard, it doesn't mean the company producing the $.25 USB charging cables is MEETING the standard.

Trust me, I know standards. You can have standards all you want, but unless the cable in question is CERTIFIED it means nothing.

Sent from my A855, while on the move.

billyjoeraybob

Reaction score
Well known or not, it's obviously not true. USB is a standard and unless the cable is broken or made wrong it will work in any device with the correct connections.

I just tested three of my USB cables, all of them are non-moto and all of them worked, I moved and copied files and also charged the phone. One was from my Kindle, my old camera, and short charging cord for my Bluetooth headpiece. (nice, I wonder who thought a 3 inch cable was a good idea?)

This has been my experience as well. When I got my Kindle the micro USB cable that came with it failed so I found micro USB cables on Amazon for $.01 so I bought 10 of them. I keep several in my laptop bag all the time. I have used the Moto cords and the cheap cords with my Kindle, OG Droid, and Bionic for data transfer and charging. I have experienced no problems what so ever. YMMV

Scribble

Reaction score
The cables you have that are not working are possibly broken (it's easy to break cords if you are rough with them, shoving them in bags and spooling them up tightly et al) or your computer is doing that windows not recognizing a USB device at certain times thing.

Darev

Reaction score
I tried this at work today using a micro usb cord that came with my Blackberry (2nd phone - company phone) and was able to transfer files off the bionic to my laptop just fine. I can see this issue being related to the quality of the cable, but not the manufacturer brand name (although certain companies could be generally lower quality than needed for this operation).

redwood

Reaction score
weird...I've used every micro USB cable I have EXCEPT the included one and they all worked fine.

gabner

Reaction score
weird...I've used every micro USB cable I have EXCEPT the included one and they all worked fine.

:D

Thanks for the post, I tried for hours to get my computer to recognize the bionic using my existing cable with no luck. Pulled out the cable that came with the bionic and bham, worked like a champ. Automatically detected and installed.

69copo

Reaction score
I've used many different cables from many different mfgs and have not a problem doing anything with any of them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

brandon9559

Reaction score
I've used many different cables from many different mfgs and have not a problem doing anything with any of them.

Me either. I've been using a old palm pre cable that's nearly been chewed in half by a cat...works like a charm.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Some cables look standard but are not even wired thru for data! Power only, case in point, one from Rocket Fish sold by bestbuy... They even warn you when you buy it now...

Renae

Reaction score
This is just weird. I had a another cable already on my computer, would not find my bionic. Used the cable that came with it and it worked. I don't understand. The other cable worked fine with my Droid 1. Oh well at least I got it working.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I can use the included cable or any others. I am connected to my laptop right now with a monoprice usb cable. I am hooked to my Bionic surfing at 4GLTE speed with access to the Bionics files. The bat is also charging on the Bionic.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use all sorts of cables including a bunch of MonoPrice 10 foot one that cost about a buck and they all work fine. A cable is a cable.

Renae

Reaction score
I use all sorts of cables including a bunch of MonoPrice 10 foot one that cost about a buck and they all work fine. A cable is a cable.

That is what I would think too. I don't get this at all, but it happened to me. And I'm not some idiot that doesn't know how to use a cable/computer/bionic, I'm an engineer. I can't figure this one out. If I could cut the cables apart.....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

fixy2273

Reaction score
I've had the same experience as others have with the LG cable. It transferred data for my old phone just fine, but I got the Bionic home, plugged it in and while it charged, my computer didn't recognize anything. Plugged in the moto cable and it worked right away. I'll just keep the LG one for charging, but I wish they both worked so I could just leave one of them at work.