Music

brianbags

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to be getting the new Droid on Thursday and I just have a couple questions that I can't find on the Internet...

Is putting music on that thing as much of a pain in the *** as it was to put music on my EnV2? I honestly don't even remember the process much, but what I do remember is going and copying my iTunes files on to a TON of blank disks, and then having to input all the song information again as it didn't carry over.

And can you keep your music on when you browse the web? How about when you're sending texts? I know my EvY stopped the music when I got a text.

Overall would you say this phone is a replacement for my iPod Touch? I only have about 10 gigs of music on it, the other 12 is video.

I'm thinking anyone with the first Droid will be able to answer these as if it's on that one which came out last year, I don't think they'll take the features off for the X.

Thanks!

eliassami5

Reaction score
lol why are you comparing the env2 to an android phone..completely different phones.

But no adding music to your droid or X is easy as pie..its basically like a flash drive so just drag and drop. There are programs you can download that will transfer all of your itunes libraries in tact to your phone if you dont like the drag and drop method.

Android has a dedicated media player so no your music wont be stored on where you browse the web.

All i use for music playback now is my Droid, zune is collecting dust. I personally like the music player but some people dont like the looks of it...they like the flashiness of the iPod music player. But honestly if offers the same features (save for an EQ), but if you want an ipod like music player you can get one from the market.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Putting music on it is very easy. You can use Double Twist, Motorola Media Manager, or just drag and drop it on to the SD card.

Sorry, even though I have music on my Droid I rarely listen to it so I can't answer your other questions.

OP
B

brianbags

Reaction score
Okay thanks, that's a relief. I spent hours putting in on my EnV only to never use it because it sucked so much

lol why are you comparing the env2 to an android phone..completely different phones.

But no adding music to your droid or X is easy as pie..its basically like a flash drive so just drag and drop. There are programs you can download that will transfer all of your itunes libraries in tact to your phone if you dont like the drag and drop method.

Android has a dedicated media player so no your music wont be stored on where you browse the web.

All i use for music playback now is my Droid, zune is collecting dust. I personally like the music player but some people dont like the looks of it...they like the flashiness of the iPod music player. But honestly if offers the same features (save for an EQ), but if you want an ipod like music player you can get one from the market.

So are you saying you can't browse the web while listening to music?

Or I should put it this way...do you have to stay in the music player when listening or can you go look at other things on the phone? (i..e a text)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is putting music on that thing as much of a pain in the *** as it was to put music on my EnV2? I honestly don't even remember the process much, but what I do remember is going and copying my iTunes files on to a TON of blank disks, and then having to input all the song information again as it didn't carry over.
Let's get this sorted out first. You had to do that because of iTunes DRM -- not because of the Env2. DRM is an issue with Android devices. Your music needs to not have any DRM. It also needs to be in a supported format.

Overall would you say this phone is a replacement for my iPod Touch? I only have about 10 gigs of music on it, the other 12 is video.
It really depends on how you intend to use the devices -- which is always what it boils down to. In my case, there's no way any Android device could replace my iPod as I use my iPod as my primary music player and use it with the iPod interfaces in my cars. In that regard as well as storage capacity, that rules out Android devices for me. Of course, YMMV.

You can easily fit 10GB of music onto an 16GB SD card but you won't be squeezing and additional 12GB of video in unless you get a 32GB. I can't tell you if any music app will be a suitable replacement in your opinion. Check out the Applications subforum for suggestions and try some out for yourself.

Or I should put it this way...do you have to stay in the music player when listening or can you go look at other things on the phone? (i..e a text)
That's called multitasking. It's something that Android is definitely capable of. You might want to do some more reading up (and try devices out in store) if you're asking such questions. ;)

I'm thinking anyone with the first Droid will be able to answer these as if it's on that one which came out last year, I don't think they'll take the features off for the X.
Your questions are pretty much general/basic questions regarding Android -- hence the suggestion for more reading. You probably didn't find anything due to the keywords you searched on but all these questions are discussed quite a bit on every Android forum site.

Last edited:
OP
B

brianbags

Reaction score
Your music will play in the background while you surf, email, navigate, etc.

Very good. That's a must for me.

That's called multitasking. It's something that Android is definitely capable of. You might want to do some more reading up (and try devices out in store) if you're asking such questions. ;)

Your questions are pretty much general/basic questions regarding Android -- hence the suggestion for more reading. You probably didn't find anything due to the keywords you searched on but all these questions are discussed quite a bit on every Android forum site.

As I've said in another topic, unfortunately I am in another country and won't be back to the US till after it's released. Therefore I can't even go to a store to try some out. But I can assure you I have read/seen almost every review regarding this new one, but none of them mentioned this music issue. I needed to make sure.

And no, I don't know much about Android devices in general as I just came on the scene recently. I'm reading and learning as the days go by.