music player issues

donp2700

Reaction score
Droid is a great phone but iam having alot of issues with the music player. maybe someone can point me on the right direction.
1st -no genre filter
2nd-no equalizer...music sounds distorted on ear phones especially when volume is up.
3rd-a feature where the volume buttons could be used to switch songs by holding them down should be added; just like the blackberry...its very annoying to have to take your phone out of your pocket and switch to the player to change songs.

Droid isnt going to be much of a competitor with Iphone if media player features are limited.

Thanks in advance for your response...

devinhfox

Reaction score
I totally agree with 2. and 3. in the previous post.
When listening to Pandora, sometimes I want to forward to the next song.
Really annoying to have to bring the phone out of my pocket, enter unlock, open up pandora, forward to next song, put back in pocket.
Same goes for default music player.

Sometimes I use bluetooth headphones and this solves the problem (it has forward/back and pause), but mostly I listen to it at my desk and I have much better headphones that plug in.

The default audio spectrum is pretty good with good headphones, but if I'm using smaller headphones, it needs more Bass response, and would be nice to have an equalizer, or at the very LEAST Bass/Treble control.

sterdroids

Reaction score
Its also very sensitive if you are listen to a long file and will jump from minute 2 to minute 37 when you wanted to get to minute 4

jrocketdroid

Reaction score
I would download something from the Market. I'm using MixZing Lite and it works well for what I need. No amplifier, but I enjoy it better than the stock music app.

devinhfox

Reaction score
I would download something from the Market. I'm using MixZing Lite and it works well for what I need. No amplifier, but I enjoy it better than the stock music app.
Nobody said anything about having an amplifier, the player seems plenty loug enough for me (at least with my headphones).

Does MixZing fix any of the issues mentioned in the first post?

jrocketdroid

Reaction score
sorry meant equalizer, MixZing fixes the genre filter, reads it from the tags on the music file. It also produces a recommended playlist based on the song you're listening to at the time.

hobby31

Reaction score
I agree. I have been using android since the tmobile g1 came out and the music player is one of the things that has never been updated since. It needs a basic equalizer. When the droid gets rooted you can get a program called "audio hack" which will increase the sound volume but compared to the g1 the droid sounds great as it.

rlandon

Reaction score
I'm trying to determine why my music player will sometimes work and other times not. I get an error message stating the media player does not support this file type (or something like that), even though it's played them before (when working). They are mp3 files. If I reboot the phone it will work for a short while then later on quit again. It's annoying.

Having a similar problem with DroidLive. Sometimes it works and connects, other times it give a media player error or Error 1001 message. If I reboot the phone it will sometimes work. If it's the server being slammed, I can understand but it would be nice to get that message. The network status displays "xtreme" so the wifi signal is there (only a couple of feet from the router).

Any ideas on these two audio issues? Taking it over to Verizon tomorrow to see if they have a solution.

blazed

Reaction score
Has anyone found a music player that enables you to change songs by holding down the side volume buttons. Its really annoying to have to take out my phone and go through my password screen when im on my bike.

jnapo

Reaction score
Ok. Being a software developer that has used music players and mp3 players for about the last 10 years I have found that the ability to equalize the sound from MP3 players is a lacking feature across the board.

The apple products provide you with a list of available eq presets. This is the lamest solution to the problem I have seen.

The equalizer included in Winamp with the ability to load presets and name presets is the model that should be embraced.

I tried the music player on the Droid with multiple sets of headphones.

1) Apple ear buds. - Would have benefited greatly if appropriate equalization was available.

2) Sony MDR-62 head phones, better than ear buds but still would have benefited from slight tweak all over.

3) Sennheisser HD-515 head phones, best of all, still they could have used a little tweak. Keep in mind these are 150 dollar head phones. Not what the average listen is going to use to go out running.

So I have to admit the play frequency response is reasonable with good drivers but the average user will not be using high end phones and therefore a nice equalizer would be a great addition to any music player that could be used on the Android platform.

I did not observe a volume issue. I have been a professional musican for over 30 years. I value my hearing and try to keep the volume on all sound sources down so that I may retain my hearing into my later years. I strongly encourage all those out there that do not think the device is not load enough to have your hearing checked. You may find that playing these devices so loud has resulted in hearing loss. Continued exposure will continue to destroy your hearing.

So if anyone has a lead on a music player with a real adjustable equalization capability please point me to it.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
I've found one mobile music player with all the features, including a real equalizer, that I want. It's called Nitrogen. Unfortunately, it's currently only developed for WinMo. If enough people bug the developer, maybe he can be persuaded to work his magic for Android. Here's the official thread;

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=3914093

Please be respectful. Dude doesn't owe us anything, but he does write good code. I used the Nitrogen player on my Kaiser and it really is the best I've used.