Music on Maxx

cece5702

Reaction score
Ok dont laugh!!!!.....I am sort of new to this phone technology but I know my Maxx can do a lot. I am interested in playing music on my Maxx. I want to download songs. Should I go to Itunes or what? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was told that I could use this phone as an Ipod for music. Are there any apps in the market that would be beneficial? I guess I need to know where to look for the musice to download on my phone ? Since I have all this space on the SD card for music, I figure I might as well take advantage of it. Any suggestions? :biggrin:

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
You have a few options to accomplish your goal. 1) you can transfer mp3's that you already own to that SD card. 2) you can buy music from Amazon using the Amazon music app. 3) you can buy music using the Google music app. 4) search the market for apps that will let you download mp3's for free.

Still rocking the OG Droid using Tapatalk!!! Until my razr maxx arrives!!!!

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
I downloaded Mp3 music download. So I'm assuming I can search for music with this app and download to sd card. Thanks so much!!! :biggrin:
You have a few options to accomplish your goal. 1) you can transfer mp3's that you already own to that SD card. 2) you can buy music from Amazon using the Amazon music app. 3) you can buy music using the Google music app. 4) search the market for apps that will let you download mp3's for free.

Still rocking the OG Droid using Tapatalk!!! Until my razr maxx arrives!!!!

DocsDad

Reaction score
I usually just drop some tunes on my sd from my pc, but I do stream Pandora and Slacker too

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
Yeah I have Pandora and Slacker but do they allow you to select specific songs? I think they only allow you select what type of music than they play songs in that category. I would prefer specific songs. Thanks for your input Doc! :)
I usually just drop some tunes on my sd from my pc, but I do stream Pandora and Slacker too

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
When you listen to your music do you use wifi connection? Or does it really matter with the Maxx?

DocsDad

Reaction score
When you listen to your music do you use wifi connection? Or does it really matter with the Maxx?

Correct on not being able to choose with Pandora. However, I have discovered some artists listening to the category approach.

I listen using 3G/4G usually because I am usually at work or out and about when I listen. I have had not problems on the mobile network.

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
I was trying to set up a Smart Action for Music using Wifi but I see its not going to work because like you said, I want to be able to listen to music not just at home but out and about also so cellular data would have be turned on. I listen to Pandora here at work. Really cool App.
Correct on not being able to choose with Pandora. However, I have discovered some artists listening to the category approach.

I listen using 3G/4G usually because I am usually at work or out and about when I listen. I have had not problems on the mobile network.

Dingbat

Reaction score
Help this Geezer please. It's more of a general question than just Droid/Maxx. I have albums on the Laptop; the Samsung Tablet (wifi); the old Moto Droid; and now trying to get stuff on the new Maxx.

Half the stuff on the Laptop will not play on the other platforms. They were all purchased legally from Amazon, VCast, or somewhere. I just moved some songs from the Laptop to the Maxx and many just squeek for a second and that's it.

I doubt that I can recover stuff so will start all over again. The question is, what is the fool proof way of buying albums and have them play on present and future platforms?

Thanks in advance!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I would think that there really is no fool proof way. The reason being that as tech progresses the formats will change. However they do have services that will change formats for you.

As I recall things started out in wav, and now we're using mp3s and other various forms.

I'm sure others will chime in here, but that's the best I've got. :) hope you find a better answer :)
DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

SallyC

Reaction score
Help this Geezer please. It's more of a general question than just Droid/Maxx. I have albums on the Laptop; the Samsung Tablet (wifi); the old Moto Droid; and now trying to get stuff on the new Maxx.

Half the stuff on the Laptop will not play on the other platforms. They were all purchased legally from Amazon, VCast, or somewhere. I just moved some songs from the Laptop to the Maxx and many just squeek for a second and that's it.

I doubt that I can recover stuff so will start all over again. The question is, what is the fool proof way of buying albums and have them play on present and future platforms?

Thanks in advance!

If your question is how to transfer them to your phone, you have a couple of options which this link or this one will walk you though.

But it sounds like your real issue is that what you've transferred won't play. Buying it legally doesn't mean it will necessarily play on any device as some places sell mp3's with DRM (digital rights management) meaning they will only play on certain devices. For example, you could buy music from iTunes that will only play on your iPod or (paying more) get the same song and it will play on anything. So I'm not sure if that's the problem or not. You may have to look at each place you purchased them to find out. Some places - like iTunes, I believe - will let you pay a fee and "upgrade" your songs to DRM-free.

The other possibility is that the music is not in a format that is compatible with the Razr. This Motorola's FAQ sheds some light on that subject:

What music file formats can I play?
Your phone can play many types of files: MP3, M4A, AAC, ACC+, MIDI, WAV, and
OGG Vorbis. Note: Your phone does not support any DRM protected files.

Note: For WMA files, we recommend you use an audio converter software to convert .wma to .mp3
DRM, short for "Digital Rights Management", is anti-piracy technology. DRM is used by digital copyright owners to control who gets to access and copy their work. In particular, DRM gives programmers, musicians and movie artists some ability to remote control how people can install, listen to, view, and duplicate digital files.

I know it can be a little overwhelming. Hope this is helpful.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
What's an Album?

(sorry, couldn't resist one geezer to another):)

Dingbat

Reaction score
Thanks all! Sally, I know how to transfer - it's that some of the transfers don't work. I think it is the DRM issue. I had missed that this phone doesn't do DRM. I thought that once I bought it, I could transfer it. Alas. I guess then, it would be best to buy from the Play link.

CaptainSS: Google Play calls them Albums but I don't think they come hinged with 2 or 3 "records" with all kinds of neat info on the sleeves. :biggrin:. Sometimes I think the 78/45/33 wasn't so bad...At least I could transfer them. Not really though...the technology today (as evidenced by the Maxx) is beyond anything I could ever dream of...even from a couple of years ago. I love it and am anxious to see where it goes from here.

Again, thanks all. I'll just stay with Play.

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
What I've done, is, since I'm Grandfathered into the Unlimited Data plan, and Google Music allows you to upload 20,000 songs to stream anywhere, I've uploaded my music to Google Music (I only have almost 4,000 songs). I also have upgraded my SD Mini card to 32GB, which take up about 70% of the space after I've copied my music onto it as well. I might remove it though because mainly I would use it if I cannot get an internet connection where I'm at, which is usually not a problem.

As far as ripping my "albums" (sorry, I had to LOL :p ), I used the highest mp3 format, the 320kbit rate. There is a higher quality, called FLAC which I've never experimented with. I can tell you that going from CDs to MP3, there's no comparison, CDs are hands down better quality, but the convenience makes up for it.