Music and Sounds issue

muad

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hope someone can be of assistance,

While I had my Droid plugged in to my Ubuntu machine to charge, I mounted the mSD card, and decided to copy over some of my music, and some of my must have sounds for specific notifications.

When I go to play music, like when I'm in my car, for some reason the Droid is putting ALL sound files together, which can make it quite difficult to play music while you are driving. After a song ends, one of my sounds will play, as they are listed in alphabetical order. So I find myself constently grabbing the device to skip to the next track.

When I copied these files over, I made two folders in the DCIM main folder, one for Music, and the other for Sounds. However, as I mentioned above, the Droid is grouping them together.

Am I doing something wrongs, or is there a solution for this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

-Will

governmentcheese

Reaction score
dcim folder is for pictures are you sure you put it in the dcim? you're on the right track, but make folders seperately for music & sounds......when you open the open folder to view files & you see the diff. options dcim, music etc....make a new folder named sounds put all sounds in it seperate from all your music, you should b ok. or just put the sounds in the downloads folder. something else to look into: goto the market & download- astro file manager- easier than always mounting phone to do certian things. great app.

hope that helps???!!!

JCo352

Reaction score
dcim folder is for pictures are you sure you put it in the dcim? you're on the right track, but make folders seperately for music & sounds......when you open the open folder to view files & you see the diff. options dcim, music etc....make a new folder named sounds put all sounds in it seperate from all your music, you should b ok. or just put the sounds in the downloads folder. something else to look into: goto the market & download- astro file manager- easier than always mounting phone to do certian things. great app.

hope that helps???!!!

Lol, where did you find this thread? It has been buried with no answer for quite some time.

little.miss.ink

Reaction score
There's actually a simple solution to this. All you need to do is, granted you already have your music and sounds separated into two different file folders, just add a blank text file named ".nomedia" to the sounds folder. This will prevent the media in the folder from being grabbed by the music app, but won't have any affect on the way the phone recognizes & uses them.

To do this, download a free app called Text Edit. Make a new blank note to be saved in the sounds folder, titled .nomedia (exactly as seen typed to the left) and save. It is extremely helpful to have Astro File Manager when making & saving new text files, and is just a helpful app overall to move & edit all the files on your SD card, to check that its saved correctly it delete it if necessary. Restart your phone, and you're done! This will work in any folder you want to partially hide sounds or even photos, like wallpapers or stock photos on the SD card, or just a specific pathway you don't want included in your gallery.

Make SURE your music folder is saved under your DCIM extension or I've found your album art does not show up.

I hope this helps you as much as it has helped me! The sounds being grouped with my music & mp3's was SO annoying. I was so happy to finally find a fix for this problem. It might sound silly, but I'm so picky about how my files are kept, and its almost a pet-peeve when things are out of order, or "messy", especially when it affects a function on my phone!

Last edited: