Multiple mail accounts and IMAP/IMAPS support?

moshek258

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Droid email client will support:

1) multiple mail accounts

2)IMAP/IMAPS access to gmail or similar?

~Moshe

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK i have searched everywhere for a posting i could have sworn was on this site, and i can't fine it anywhere else lol. Yes the email client supports multiple email accounts on a unified inbox. It has it's own gmail client that it can access gmail from.

stanlori

Reaction score
I have multiple POP3 and an IMAP account working on my DROID. My only problem is that it appears that the DROID deletes the email from my IMAP account and I don't want it deleted since I use my laptop as the main email processor..

mpenda

Reaction score
That is EXACTLY what IMAP is intended to do. So that you don't have to delete messages twice, from two readers.
If you want to just have a read-only copy on your phone, use POP (but make sure you tell it NOT to remove messages from the server). Then you will have a separate copy on your phone and can delete them without impacting what is on the server.

stanlori

Reaction score
I was wrong in what it does. The POP3 accounts seem to delete from the Droid once they are downloaded to the laptop and deleted from the server. The IMAP account (which can not be made a POP3) shows up on the laptop as a read message if it was downloaded to the Droid. Once the laptop deletes it the it disappears from the Droid. So everything seems to work almost perfectly and I only have to delete messages once. My BB worked a little differently.:)

mikedageek

Reaction score
Multiple Exchange accounts

This phone is the first phone I've ever had that natively supported multiple EXCHANGE accounts ...

I am running two gmail (one gmail one google apps) accounts a windows live and the 2 exchange accounts ... so yeah ... it handles multiple email accounts ...

I have had my exchange and live mail accounts "disappear" on me ... I just rebuilt the account setups and all has been well since ...

MrTommy

Reaction score
Good discussion. Answers a question I had about accessing my normal Yahoo email account. Thanks.

mpenda

Reaction score
I haven't used a Blackberry in quite some time, but I *think* there's an intermediate server in there, so what you delete is one step removed from your server.

Hopefully they'll get IDLE support going for IMAP in the email client and then it will really be sweet!

jwbtx

Reaction score
I have my X set for IMAP, but it wont delete the emails off the server. Any ideas?

My search button is getting worn out.

jwb

That is EXACTLY what IMAP is intended to do. So that you don't have to delete messages twice, from two readers.
If you want to just have a read-only copy on your phone, use POP (but make sure you tell it NOT to remove messages from the server). Then you will have a separate copy on your phone and can delete them without impacting what is on the server.

jwbtx

Reaction score
Yep.. You use BB servers as an intermediary whcih I never understood. I just switched from BB now that VZW has a droid that I like. i settled on the X over the INC.

I haven't used a Blackberry in quite some time, but I *think* there's an intermediate server in there, so what you delete is one step removed from your server.

Hopefully they'll get IDLE support going for IMAP in the email client and then it will really be sweet!