Multiple contact fields?

doctorgrosz

Reaction score
Hi, I'm very new to the Droid (about 24hrs) and have a question that I can't seem to find information on.

I imported my contact list from my old phone (Verizon Dare) to my new phone, the Motorola Droid.

When I go to edit someone's contact info, there are multiple (often 5) sets of fields for a contact. As a result, I have to change their name and/or number up to 5 times in order to have it display properly in the contact list.

To explain: I click on a contact and click edit contact.

It then reads as what i'll call a "Google Contact card" - photo, name, family name, phone, email, IM, postal address, organization, more.

Then, below that is another "card" with the same information, and below that, ANOTHER. And another. And another...

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to eliminate this duplicate information?

Currently, I do not have my contact list set to synch with Google (and I'm sure that will be the first suggested attempt at a "fix").

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm very new to the Droid (about 24hrs) and have a question that I can't seem to find information on.

I imported my contact list from my old phone (Verizon Dare) to my new phone, the Motorola Droid.

When I go to edit someone's contact info, there are multiple (often 5) sets of fields for a contact. As a result, I have to change their name and/or number up to 5 times in order to have it display properly in the contact list.

To explain: I click on a contact and click edit contact.

It then reads as what i'll call a "Google Contact card" - photo, name, family name, phone, email, IM, postal address, organization, more.

Then, below that is another "card" with the same information, and below that, ANOTHER. And another. And another...

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to eliminate this duplicate information?

Currently, I do not have my contact list set to synch with Google (and I'm sure that will be the first suggested attempt at a "fix").
let me first start by saying welcome.

then let me be the first to say, sync with gmail. gmail allows handling of duplicate accounts. it will help you identify them and resolve them much quicker than on the phone.

second, the phone is designed to live in the "cloud", so don't be afraid of Google's services. they're there to help you and your experience.

and last, check my sig for lots of helpful hints!

jimnutt

Reaction score
Select the contact, then on the menu, select edit. On the menu again look for something like "split" (not sure of the exact wording). That will break the contact up into the individual entries. It will most likely give you duplicates, delete all but one of the duplicates, then, if you still multiple contacts for the same person, but with different information in them, select one of them, edit it and select "join", that will let you merge the contacts back into a single entry. It's easier to do than to explain...

robohelp!

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem (and also new Droid user). Is there a better solution than manually separating each contact? Also, I'm not sure where Droid is getting all of its contact information. I cleaned up all my gmail contacts and the Droid has more information than in My Contacts on gmail. I don't have Facebook or Exchange currently.

I deleted all my contacts, formatted my SD card (the VZN rep imported my old contacts and I thought that was the problem so I wanted to delete all info on it), deleted all My Contacts from gmail and reloaded them, did a factory reset on my phone and still the same problem! There are 4-5 "google contact" info per person.

Thanks for your help!!

polobear

Reaction score
640k was right...

in gmail
go to contacts
there is a spot to select find duplicates
it will find all and create a list
from this you can see each one and find the one with the best or most accurate
then delete the others
cheers

tjpython

Reaction score
multiple contact fields - only a manual fix?

I am a new Droid owner. Very happy to see at least one solution to this multiple contact card problem (which in my case is unique to just the Droid contact list and is not mirrored by my Gmail contact list). But is there any automatic fix to this? Otherwise, we're talking about manually having to edit/split 150+ contacts on the Droid.

rmeaglesct

Reaction score
I find the problem is caused by syncing contacts from multiple sources..

for instance, if you are syncing contacts from Outlook, gmail, google, your SD card, your SIM card, etc..THEN each of them will contribute to the data for Contacts. just use one source for contact updates if you want it to be clean. that may mean you have lots to do to get all your various sources synchronized.
Have a nice day.

helron

Reaction score
I use Droid RAZR stock ICS Contact list - which I hate
There is no option in Contacts to find duplicates.
Do u know how to do so? Is any APK available?
THis seem so be a problems had by masses.

Sent using Tapatalk