www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
mSpot Debuts Cloud-Based Music Streaming Service For Android

by Leena Rao on Jun 28, 2010

mspot.png

Mobile entertainment startup mSpot is debuting its free music cloud service today that allows you to sync your entire music collection across Android phones and PCs/Macs to the public today. The service, which was launched into private beta in May, streams music to your browser and Android phone.

Here’s how it works. The service’s application that operates in the background of your computer managing the upload and day-to-day syncing of your music library. In addition, it can upload playlists, coverart, ratings and song information you may have entered using iTunes.

The application will manage your music for you, making automatic updates whenever changes occur in your library, and on across different connected devices.

And mSpot’s cloud service automatically re-syncs music when new songs and albums are added. The service also promises to handle transitions between spotty and solid coverage areas and reduces data charges on your mobile plan. Other features include the ability to see lyrics of songs and to make a ringtone out of any song.

MSpot is betting big on this service. The company has been developing this proprietary playback technology that allows users to play songs from the cloud instantly for four years. mSpot mobile application automatically senses network conditions and adapts playback accordingly even without network coverage.

While mSpot offers free storage for the first 2 gigabytes (approximately 1600 songs), additional storage is available for purchase ranging from 10 gigabytes (8,000 songs) for $2.99, 20 gigabytes (16,000 songs) for $4.99, and 50 gigabytes for 9.99.

mSpot’s streaming service will be incredibly an useful application for Android users. But that’s until Google launches its own cloud-based music streaming service, which is expected to take place later this year. The company even acquired streaming technology Simplify Media to boost its service.

Lala did this as well, but Apple has shut that service down after acquiring it. And we expect that Apple will be launching a cloud-based version of iTunes soon, which would also pose a serious threat to mSpot’s offering.

Mspot is best known for its Mobile Movies site, which will let users stream full-length movies on their mobile phones, on the web, so you can enjoy mSpot’s online streaming movie service on your computer.

mSpot has struck deals with Paramount, Universal, Image Entertainment, and Screen Media Ventures to stream full-length movie rentals to users’ PCs and cell phones, allowing you to switch between both devices as you pick up and leave off throughout a movie.

The PC streaming functionality builds upon the mobile movie service mSpot launched last year. The service, which just launched an iPhone app, includes 1000 titles that can be streamed to both a computer and mobile device.

http://www.mspot.com/

Last edited:

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

by Leena Rao on Jun 28, 2010

mspot.png

Mobile entertainment startup mSpot is debuting its free music cloud service today that allows you to sync your entire music collection across Android phones and PCs/Macs to the public today. The service, which was launched into private beta in May, streams music to your browser and Android phone.

Here’s how it works. The service’s application that operates in the background of your computer managing the upload and day-to-day syncing of your music library. In addition, it can upload playlists, coverart, ratings and song information you may have entered using iTunes.

The application will manage your music for you, making automatic updates whenever changes occur in your library, and on across different connected devices.

And mSpot’s cloud service automatically re-syncs music when new songs and albums are added. The service also promises to handle transitions between spotty and solid coverage areas and reduces data charges on your mobile plan. Other features include the ability to see lyrics of songs and to make a ringtone out of any song.

MSpot is betting big on this service. The company has been developing this proprietary playback technology that allows users to play songs from the cloud instantly for four years. mSpot mobile application automatically senses network conditions and adapts playback accordingly even without network coverage.

While mSpot offers free storage for the first 2 gigabytes (approximately 1600 songs), additional storage is available for purchase ranging from 10 gigabytes (8,000 songs) for $2.99, 20 gigabytes (16,000 songs) for $4.99, and 50 gigabytes for 9.99.

mSpot’s streaming service will be incredibly an useful application for Android users. But that’s until Google launches its own cloud-based music streaming service, which is expected to take place later this year. The company even acquired streaming technology Simplify Media to boost its service.

Lala did this as well, but Apple has shut that service down after acquiring it. And we expect that Apple will be launching a cloud-based version of iTunes soon, which would also pose a serious threat to mSpot’s offering.

Mspot is best known for its Mobile Movies site, which will let users stream full-length movies on their mobile phones, on the web, so you can enjoy mSpot’s online streaming movie service on your computer.

mSpot has struck deals with Paramount, Universal, Image Entertainment, and Screen Media Ventures to stream full-length movie rentals to users’ PCs and cell phones, allowing you to switch between both devices as you pick up and leave off throughout a movie.

The PC streaming functionality builds upon the mobile movie service mSpot launched last year. The service, which just launched an iPhone app, includes 1000 titles that can be streamed to both a computer and mobile device.

mSpot

Just installed this this morning on my home pc and its still importing all my songs lol im sure once they are all imported it will be great :) it seems like its another version of that cloud music thing they showed at the google i/o conference this year.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
nice! gotta love free storage.

sugarsync, dropbox, mspot... great stuff

ntrddragn

Reaction score
its only free up to 2gigs? Doesnt orb do this already but unlimited?

broosewee

Reaction score
Why does it take so long to upload songs? I've had my PC on for about 2 days and it's only uploaded 147 of 232 songs in my library. Seems stuck for the past day. Plus, none of my music is DRM protected. I think it needs more time in beta. Anybody else have this problem?

Or am I doing something wrong?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
its only free up to 2gigs? Doesnt orb do this already but unlimited?

Orb runs off your home computer, and is never transferred to a "cloud". mSpot is a cloud service, where you upload your music to their servers.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
only problem with orb is you would always need to have your home pc on. i dont believe you would need your home pc on when you use this app. will try to confirm later if noone does by than lol. plus i like this interface for mspot better than the orb interface.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
You upload your songs to mSpot's cloud servers. you don't need your home pc running to play the uploaded music. i tried it last night, uploaded 200 songs, and it worrked like a charm (the android app ui is okay, although sorting is something to be desired)

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
and you can't choose which files in a folder to upload, it does the whole folder.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool, but I'm not sure what the benefit is other than you can have everything backed up on a cloud (which with large libraries of movies, mp3's and pics is a minor nuisance on a PC).

Thing is, why waste battery streaming when you can play directly from your Droid? Not to mention, it does you no good in places without service (like an airplane).

I'll wait for Google's service which I'm sure will be free, to a point. For a few bucks for more storeage, seems like a no-brainer as a back-up service.

Offline syncing of playlists and the like could be beneficial, too. But I just do that from my computer and then recopy my music folder to the Droid for a few hours. Not a big deal.