MR2 Update

Filosophic1

Reaction score
I downloaded and flashed the leaked MR2 update for my Thunderbolt yesterday evening. I knew that it would wipe my phone, but with everything backed up, I wasn't too worried about that. Here are my results so far:

GPS still has trouble locating me indoors, but when it does it is spot on. Outdoors, GPS locks on now in a split second, and so far has not lost a signal outside like mine used to do.

My phone used to reboot at least 10 times a day, including at night when I would have it on the charger while I slept. When I woke up this morning, I could tell that it had not rebooted at all. (The way I can tell is I have multiple home startups, and after a reboot, I have to select which Home page I want to use) So far today, there have been no reboots. Usually by this time of morning, I would have had at least a couple of reboots by now. So far so good on that front.

3G signal does seem to be a bit stronger inside my office today. I have been using the mobile hotspot, and have not noticed my hotspot cycling on and off like it used to. Will keep an eye on this as the day goes on.

I did not have any problems reloading all of my apps, and Marketplace updated itself to the current version after a few minutes of having installed the new update. I was on WiFi, so not sure if that helped get the correct version of Marketplace back up and running.

All in all, other than having all of my data wiped from my phone, which as stated before wasn't that big of a deal, the update seems to have taken care of the rebooting issues I was having, and has definitely made my GPS easier to use. If I encounter any issues during the day, I will update this post.

Pumaro

Reaction score
If your phone was rebooting 10x a day you should exchange it. It should not be rebooting at all unless it is an app issue.

bailman

Reaction score
There are tons of people plagued with this same reboot issue, me included. It is not an app issue!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
Filosophic1

Filosophic1

Reaction score
It should not be rebooting at all unless it is an app issue.

After the first OTA for the Thunderbolt, rebooting was a known issue. Some people got lucky and weren't having any problems with the rebooting issue while others were not so lucky. I was one of the not so lucky ones. I don't believe it was an app issue, because after the original OTA, I wiped my phone, and ran it with no apps installed, and was still getting the reboots. So no, it was not an app issue causing problems with my phone after the original OTA.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If your phone was rebooting 10x a day you should exchange it. It should not be rebooting at all unless it is an app issue.
The rebooting issue is a known problem that HTC is trying to fix. Taking it back for a new/certified like new TB isn't necessarily going to resolve the issue. Thankfully I never had to deal with the rebooting issue with my TB. It was one of the first ones that came out.

To the O.P. - I also just installed the new MR2 update and running the dasBAMF Preview 5. It works great so far. I'm a little concerned about battery life still though. I was working on a lot of things this morning and also syncing, so that could have contributed to it.

My question is what kernals can we run to OC a bit.

Technoman

Reaction score
I downloaded and flashed the leaked MR2 update for my Thunderbolt yesterday evening. I knew that it would wipe my phone, but with everything backed up, I wasn't too worried about that. Here are my results so far:

GPS still has trouble locating me indoors, but when it does it is spot on. Outdoors, GPS locks on now in a split second, and so far has not lost a signal outside like mine used to do.

My phone used to reboot at least 10 times a day, including at night when I would have it on the charger while I slept. When I woke up this morning, I could tell that it had not rebooted at all. (The way I can tell is I have multiple home startups, and after a reboot, I have to select which Home page I want to use) So far today, there have been no reboots. Usually by this time of morning, I would have had at least a couple of reboots by now. So far so good on that front.

3G signal does seem to be a bit stronger inside my office today. I have been using the mobile hotspot, and have not noticed my hotspot cycling on and off like it used to. Will keep an eye on this as the day goes on.

I did not have any problems reloading all of my apps, and Marketplace updated itself to the current version after a few minutes of having installed the new update. I was on WiFi, so not sure if that helped get the correct version of Marketplace back up and running.

All in all, other than having all of my data wiped from my phone, which as stated before wasn't that big of a deal, the update seems to have taken care of the rebooting issues I was having, and has definitely made my GPS easier to use. If I encounter any issues during the day, I will update this post.

Does the MR2 update format your SD card? If I lose App's and such I can get that, but I want to know if I need to back up my SD card first or not.

ocbooger

Reaction score
No, it wipes the phone. Your SD card will remain intact.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OP
Filosophic1

Filosophic1

Reaction score
Just had a reboot a few minutes ago. First since updating to the new MR2 update yesterday evening. Let's hope it was just a glitch, and not a sign of things to come.

OP
Filosophic1

Filosophic1

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, I was using the mobile hotspot with my laptop, and just doing some web browsing when the reboot happened. Phone was plugged into my charger at the time as well.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hmm I wonder if its the hotspot app. Cuz when I use it I get random reboots as well.

sent from droidforums app

RVC

Reaction score
Can I flash the MR2 on a rooted phone? I read somewhere that it would brick your phone if you flash this on a rooted device.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Can I flash the MR2 on a rooted phone? I read somewhere that it would brick your phone if you flash this on a rooted device.

There are links to download for rooted users

ridin the lightning

Pumaro

Reaction score
I had the rebooting issue on my first TB, got it replaced two days later and it never has rebooted on its own since. I am not rooted either.
Regardless if you still have the rebooting issue and this flash fixes it, more power to you.

Last edited:

Technoman

Reaction score
MR2 loaded late this morning, and not one reboot today. Battery was superb all day long with LTE left on the entire time. If I had left LTE enabled prior to the update my battery would be dead in just a few hours. I am so friking happy I took the plunge and did this. I was just about to go insane with the constant reboots.

Now, hopefully we will still get the OTA when released so that everything will be signed and set with the market. I think all of my APPs are back. Is anyone having problems with Amazon APP store not showing the APP's you had installed after the update?