Moving From Droid Maxx(2013) to Nexus 6. I miss my moto apps

Reiles

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Hello all,
I have recently obtained a tough-to-find Nexus 6 64gb white from Google Play. I was using a Verizon branded Droid Maxx 32 GB edition that I bought new on release day August 2013. Unfortunately, I must pay full price for all my future phones as I want to keep my unlimited data plan through Verizon.
I really enjoyed many features of that phone including the moto apps that came installed on it. With this past Droid, I felt I was only limited by the locked boot loader and the under powered chip-set. I considered purchasing the developer edition from Motorola at one point before they discontinued the phone. I upgraded to the pure android Nexus 6 after reading reviews and seeing that Motorola was the manufacturer. I have unlocked my bootloader and rooted using WugFresh's software, Nexus Root Toolkit(which I really like).

This brings me to my quandary. I miss some of the Motorola apps that were extremely useful on the old Droid. I hope some of you might know which direction to point me to find alternative applications.

Motorola Connect: This built in app used to allow me to get text messages and voice mail alerts through my Google chrome web browser. This app is still available in Play Store for Nexus 6 but does not do what it used to do on my Maxx. It only allows me to connect to a moto watch or a moto battery back-up. Is there a work-around? Is this purposefully left out of the pure android build for a reason?
EDIT: I found MightyText(MightyText SMS Text Messaging - Android Apps on Google Play does what I need.

Motorola Assist: This app is likely for Motorola phones only. I used this feature to silence my phone between the hours of 12 midnight and 5AM(unless someone called twice in a row). I don't see an option for this in the new Nexus 6. Any help finding an alternative solution would be appreciated. Will Tasker accomplish this?
EDIT: Found the Interruptions feature on 5.0.1 Set it for my sleepytime.

Shake to activate camera: I am guessing this is not going to be an option on the Nexus 6. I really liked it as I could hold my beer in one hand and launch the camera in another. I doubt I will ever get this feature back but I will ask anyways.
EDIT: I downloaded Shake(Shake - Android Apps on Google Play and it does what I need as well. I will monitor battery consumption. It does not, by default, wake from sleep to launch camera unless you activate the battery hogging option.

I have Tasker installed and I haven't really tried to configure anything yet. If this is the best route to take for these issues, I will devote some time to figuring it out over the next few weeks.
I appreciate all recommendations and comments so feel free to say whatever. Thanks for the help!

On a side note, where is a good site for getting additional screen widgets and more customized home screens?

Thanks!

EDIT: I guess I will Google search first next time! ;);) Maybe this will help some other people who are coming to the Nexus from the Droid Maxx.

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just a technical note, all your edits were set to color 000000 which against a black background results in being invisible. May I suggest either use the default color or a bright color? I've edited your post so everything looks normal again.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

OP
Reiles

Reiles

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Just a technical note, all your edits were set to color 000000 which against a black background results in being invisible

Thanks for pointing that out FoxKat. I made my post via PC and didn't notice. Maybe I'll check out Tapatalk as I see all you guys are using it.

I ended up dumping shake as an app because the lightest bump would activate the launch of an app. I am enjoying the Nexus 6!

richboy284

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 4
Twitter
@RLWaltonJr
I'm seriously considering moving from a Droid RAZR MAXX HD to a Nexus 6 when I'm ready for an upgrade in March, so I appreciate reading some notes.