Nexus 6 review

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
att1-820x420.jpg

I did a review of the device a few days after having it (Sunday Evening Chat The Nexus Spotlight Android Forum at DroidForums.net but now that the initial excitement has worn off I would like to talk about the nexus 6.

Goods:
  • Screen: 6 inch QHD, the display is nice and is a joy for consuming media on. Though many may prefer the over saturated display of the note 4, the nexus 6 will hold its own against any current smart phone devices on the market.
  • Speakers: I think it is time for more smart phone manufacturers to consider putting the speakers on the front. There are not many devices out there that can compete with the nexus 6 speakers. These speakers are loud, crisp, and noticeable the moment you boot up the device for the first time.
  • Still a nexus: Despite all the talk of carrier boot logos, carrier emblems, sim lock, and carriers potentially holding the keys to software updates, this is still a nexus which means I am free to unlock the bootloader, root, and flash my own updates (meaning the moment google releases the stock image I can download and install regardless of how long the carrier decides to take before releasing the ota).
  • Lollipop: Tap to restore (a feature that allow you to restore account app and data by tapping one of your other android devices), Trusted devices/faces (quick way to by pass security locks with a trusted device such as smart watch or bluetooth devices), and material design are many of the features that makes this build of android a step in the right direction.
  • Radios: My did I miss those awesome Motorola radios. Areas where my Note II and Nexus 5 failed to pick up a signal my Nexus 6 picked up 2 bars of LTE. Coming from the Galaxy Nexus the Note II and Nexus 5 was a breathe of fresh air but the Nexus 6 reminded me why Motorola is by far the best manufacturer when it comes to radio quality and signal strength.
  • Call Quality: Again this is a Motorola and Motorola have been known for their call quality. Sound is crisp and clear on both ends.

So-So:
  • Battery Life: I would consider the battery life good but not great. A 6 inch QHD screen with a 3200 mAh battery is just enough to provide power to guarantee getting you through a day with no problem regardless of usage. With that said, if you are use to the 3200 mAh battery in the Note II getting you a day and a half battery life and you are expecting that on the Nexus 6 then you may be disappointed. Don't get me wrong I have had days it did get me a day and a half battery life but majority of the time I am looking at around 16-18 hour battery life normal usage.
  • Software: Because nexus devices are the first to get the newest software we are also the first to experience bugs. Whether it be 4.0 on the Galaxy Nexus, 4.4 on the Nexus 5, or 5.0 with the Nexus 6/9 the initial software will have bugs that are normally ironed out by .01 or .02 which is what most manufacturers build their final software on for release to the public.
Bad:
  • Size: Depending on the person this could either be good or bad. But even for those of us who love large phones we have to admit it limits one-handed usage. If you are one who dislike large devices then this is not the device for you.
  • Camera: The camera is much better than what is on previous nexus devices but suffers in low light conditions. If you depend on your phone for nightlife photos then you may want to consider another option (ie Note 4).
As I said in my Sunday Evening Chat review, the Nexus 6 is by far the best nexus out yet. The combination of the build quality and radios from Motorola combined with everything you loved about a nexus with the added booming front facing speaker, beautiful HD screen, solid battery life, and an improved camera and nexus fans finally got the premium device they have been asking for. Though this phone is for anybody it may not be for everyone as it lacks the bells and whistles that will come with other devices (ie S-pen, touchwiz, Blinkfeed, etc), but for those of us who grew tired of manufacturer skins and locked bootloaders this is our device.

Feel free to post your reviews those who have the device.

Wulf1

Reaction score
I was set on this since the the first rumors of a moto nexus. Read all that I could about it and despite some of the negatives I will have it.

Big phones don't phase me (my last phones were note 2 & 3 and LG g3) so with Bluetooth and a moto 360 on the side it's a non-issue lol.

One thing I would like to ask is how is the burn-in with the notification icons and home buttons after a few days? If you do see it would inverting the colors in settings help reverse or minimize it?

I ordered it on 1201 and will stick with it regardless....its a moto nexus.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
@Wulf1 good to see ya bro... I will keep an eye on any burn in..

Nova launcher helps as I hide notification area and when I show its transparent
30809c21495dbe1da206ec2394fa8035.jpg

Tap'd by Big 6

Wulf1

Reaction score
Wat up @bkdodger! Been a while lol.

Here's a video about it. Yeah was thinking about using nova to hide navi buttons and status bar lol.

Nexus 6 Display Burns In Easily?:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Interesting regarding burn in. I visited a Verizon store yesterday and saw the most horrible burn in on a Samsung Note 4 on display. I may be visiting that store again today and if so I'll snap a pic.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I was set on this since the the first rumors of a moto nexus. Read all that I could about it and despite some of the negatives I will have it.

Big phones don't phase me (my last phones were note 2 & 3 and LG g3) so with Bluetooth and a moto 360 on the side it's a non-issue lol.

One thing I would like to ask is how is the burn-in with the notification icons and home buttons after a few days? If you do see it would inverting the colors in settings help reverse or minimize it?

I ordered it on 1201 and will stick with it regardless....its a moto nexus.

I been reading about the burn in and thankfully I been ok. Now I barely crank my brightness above 30% so that could be the difference for me.

Wulf1

Reaction score
I been reading about the burn in and thankfully I been ok. Now I barely crank my brightness above 30% so that could be the difference for me.

Good to hear. Now that it's becoming a "known" issue people can take better precautions to help reduce/prevent it lol.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wat up @bkdodger! Been a while lol.

Here's a video about it. Yeah was thinking about using nova to hide navi buttons and status bar lol.

Nexus 6 Display Burns In Easily?:

Looks like the lady in the review is a Samsung lover :p j/k.

I will admit though I have heard that the note 4 does better with battery life and that very well could be because they are using a newer tech as far as screen goes. On the other hand, as much as I love my note II for using as a note pad, I grew weary of touchwiz. I just hated the jank you get after having it 6 months to a year. Where to me it seems like skinned and bloated devices wear down after awhile clean devices get better over time. But to each his/her own I am not going to go all nexus fanboy here and call any one who uses anything other than a nexus foolish. Because I will admit I feel like though I rarely use my s-pen any device above 5.3 inches should come with a s-pen like device to justify the size. Plus most people do not notice the "jank". But yeah definitely saw comments about burn in and over time will definitely invert my colors. But again I am curious if going full brightness is part of the culprit. Because as @FoxKat pointed out you will see a lot of that if you look at the devices at corporate stores where the brightness is cranked to full and is on display all day everyday.

Wulf1

Reaction score
Looks like the lady in the review is a Samsung lover j/k.

I will admit though I have heard that the note 4 does better with battery life and that very well could be because they are using a newer tech as far as screen goes. On the other hand, as much as I love my note II for using as a note pad, I grew weary of touchwiz. I just hated the jank you get after having it 6 months to a year. Where to me it seems like skinned and bloated devices wear down after awhile clean devices get better over time. But to each his/her own I am not going to go all nexus fanboy here and call any one who uses anything other than a nexus foolish. Because I will admit I feel like though I rarely use my s-pen any device above 5.3 inches should come with a s-pen like device to justify the size. Plus most people do not notice the "jank". But yeah definitely saw comments about burn in and over time will definitely invert my colors. But again I am curious if going full brightness is part of the culprit. Because as @FoxKat pointed out you will see a lot of that if you look at the devices at corporate stores where the brightness is cranked to full and is on display all day everyday.
Hey, I had note 2 and note 3 and not to mention a 2012 note 10.1(still stuck on 4.1) so I know where your coming from about touchwiz.

Personally I had enough of Samsung for a while and want to get back to a moto device since the overhaul lol. Being a nexus is just icing n the cake.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
This is interesting because I've literally only heard of a couple of instances (over the past 5ish years) where burn in was an issue on an Amoled screen. Of course my personal experience (along with all of our various Galaxy forum members) has been with just the Samsung amoleds. I wonder who the manufacturer is for the Moto screens and what, if any, differences may be between the two brands. It seems WAY too early for something like this to be popping up. Is this perhaps just an isolated incident or simply poor quality amoled screens being used by Moto?
It'll be interesting to see how this develops.

S5 tap'n

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is interesting because I've literally only heard of a couple of instances (over the past 5ish years) where burn in was an issue on an Amoled screen. Of course my personal experience (along with all of our various Galaxy forum members) has been with just the Samsung amoleds. I wonder who the manufacturer is for the Moto screens and what, if any, differences may be between the two brands. It seems WAY too early for something like this to be popping up. Is this perhaps just an isolated incident or simply poor quality amoled screens being used by Moto?
It'll be interesting to see how this develops.

S5 tap'n

I would think Samsung but do not quote me. But being older Galaxy devices were known for that (note 2, S3, Note 3, S4) it very well could be. Even with that said I have not experienced any burn in on those devices as well though I have seen it on display devices in stores. But again I always attributed to that as being the display was on all the time at full brightness. Even With that said we have warranty so if any one experience it make sure to back up your data on your computer so that if you have to swap out your device you can restore your data.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Regarding burn in, credit to @smalltowngirl13 for telling us about it, there is an app where you can hide the on screen buttons. Pair that with a 3rd party launcher (ie nova) to hide the notification bar and you have a better chance at preventing burn in.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1418182392320.jpg

Nice to be able to use my full 6inch screen.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk 2

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well that is not good. Wonder if that is why Moto has had no stock of the device, they are pursuing new screens?