Movies look great, but I can only load 2???

OP
audioman42

audioman42

Reaction score
Wow those are huge movies, they don't need to be that huge guys. My movie avg about 450MB and they look awesome! 1.34 GB is massive for a screen that size!

You're probably doing something wrong if you can't notice a difference between 450mb and 1.3gb files on the Droid's screen. Right now my quality is set at 1000k. I started with 1500 and it looked amazing, but there was too much skipping.

JTAC

Reaction score
Skipping video? Must be using HandBrake.

OP
audioman42

audioman42

Reaction score
Skipping video? Must be using HandBrake.

Yup. It doesn't happen anymore though since I lowered the quality to 1000k. What program are you using? I would like to put one very high quality video on my Droid just to show off the screen, but the skipping...

JTAC

Reaction score
I am using DVD Catalyst 3. Was using HandBrake, but the skipping was driving me crazy...even at 1000 kbps. Best purchase I have ever made was getting DVD Catalyst.

coolkidd

Reaction score
I use HandBrake with iPhone/iPod Touch settings and it works perfectly on my Droid....

D

dvdcatalyst

So is it a frame rate issue?
Framerate (FPS, frames per second, 23, 24, 29, 30) doesnt make a difference in terms of playback.

Its the bitrate, (Kbps) that affects the playback, as well as the encoding settings used. Its hard to explain, but I'll try to keep it simple. There are a lot of differences between H264 files. Without going into specific differences (cabac, nocabac, level 1.3, 3.1 etc) I will say that h264 files created for one device will not always work for another.
Example:
The recent iPod/iPhone models can play 720x480 video files, and anything smaller than that (yes, I know Apple's official specifications say its 640x480) These files do not play on a Playstation Portable, eventhough the PSP can play 720x480 H264 video files as well.
In addition, Eventhough the PSP can play 720x480, it has to be exactly that, unless it's 480x272 or smaller. anything inbetween will not play. However, the PSP can play 320x240 iPod video files, but PSP files will not play on iPods, which is basically why Handbrake's latest version does not have it anymore

www.handbrake.fr said:
There are no more presets for the PSP, PS3, or Xbox 360. Quite frankly, they didn't work well.

So, why is this all such a mess? Because device manufacturors such as Apple and Sony want you to use their software (Sony Vegas, Apple Quicktime Pro, iTunes Store) to get your content. Sort of the same as with gaming consoles. The hardware is sold at a loss, and they make the $$$ on the games, movies and extra's (I dont think iPods and PSPs are sold at a loss though)