Move from a berry to droid?

dro0g

Reaction score
OK, a 15 minute refresh could be a deal breaker. Our monitoring system notifies us after a 5 minute outage. If we 'hit the cycle wrong' it could take another 14m 59s before the Droid gets the email. That could be 20 minutes of downtime before an email notice.

I'm very surprised that the Droid does not use IMAP IDLE. Even our 'self hosted' email (via IMAP) shows up within a minute or so on the Berry.

Yeah, that is annoying that there's no IMAP IDLE support yet. How were you handling the notifications before BIS supported IDLE? (I think it was introduced in Sept. 2008)

You might want to consider putting a small script on the monitoring system to send a text message via the Verizon website (that way if e-mail is down you can still get notifications)

ScottE

Reaction score
There are several 3rd party free email clients. I am currently running K-9, it has polling every minute, 5min, 10, 15 etc. there are option for "folders to check with push" although im not sure what that is about. i am polling every minute and while it works im sure it taking a toll on the battery.

OP
F

ffeingol

Reaction score
@fr4c,

We do not use the blackberry email box. With IMAP IDLE (with the berry) it took 45 seconds from hitting send in outlook until my berry buzzed.

@dro0g,

Before IDLE support we just used the bb mailbox supplied with BIS. RIM is not in the 'data mining' industry so we felt much more comfortable using their mailboxes vs. Google.

SMS is not really an option. The monitoring software can't send SMS's (we could prob do it indireciton if VZW supports [email protected]. Right now we're giving VZW enough money, we don't really want to have to add unlimited TXT plans.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

keiichi25

Reaction score
Technically, while Google is a 'data mining' service, the G-mail, to my understanding, is not suppose to be intruded upon short of you designating spam to help refine their spam search filters.

You do have the option of setting a droid to do a check for sooner, the drawback will be the battery usage on your phone will be higher.

Doing a slight search, Wikipedia states that Google's Android OS supports Microsoft ActiveSync and Gmail as far as Push E-mail is concerned.

heem

Reaction score
If you have access to exchange activesync, it's very fast. Matter of fact sitting here at my desk in the office, my droid very often gets the message BEFORE my desktop Outlook client.

I also do server monitoring, and I do find one thing lacking, although I have not put alot of thought into working around it -

On blackberry, I could set priority messages - I think they called it "Level 1 messages?" - to which I could set a different alert. so I'd set mails from my SQL boxes and monitoring system for that, and have an obnoxiously loud alert for it. Regular email just gets a simple, calm alert because I get way too many of them to be concerned about simple things that dont need immediate attention.

I'm sure I could work something out where I forward those messages to another account that has a loud ringtone associated with it.. but like I said I havent gotten there yet.

Nice bonus too, Droid can do VPN connections and VNC (or remote desktop with a paid app) - I setup a Virtual Machine just running stripped down OS with a few apps I need for doing routine tasks, set it the resolution at 800x600 so it fits almost natively on the droid's screen, and then I can actually connect right in from my phone and bounce services, reset this or that, etc. Very handy over pulling out the laptop and aircard when I needed to do something like this on the weekend..

ScottE

Reaction score
Another issue with the email standard client is that you can not forward attachments. luckily the 3rd party apps do not have this problem.