Motorola XPRT released today

hal83

Reaction score
hi everyone, the XPRT was released today, and as a general question: would anyone drop the pro and switch to xprt? pretty much the same phone.

i just have a question. does anyone know if the xprt will be unlocked? i mean, would it work on att or tmobile? droid pro's radio was blocked so that couldn't work--is this the same case for the xprt?

also, besides appearance, are there any other changes? will the camera button work on the side or will it be the same as the pro?

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
hi everyone, the XPRT was released today, and as a general question: would anyone drop the pro and switch to xprt? pretty much the same phone.

i just have a question. does anyone know if the xprt will be unlocked? i mean, would it work on att or tmobile? droid pro's radio was blocked so that couldn't work--is this the same case for the xprt?

also, besides appearance, are there any other changes? will the camera button work on the side or will it be the same as the pro?

Switch to a network that has worse coverage just to get the exact same phone? No thanks.

Everything should be essentially the same as the Pro. You'll probably have to wait until someone actually gets the phone to see if it's unlocked and if it supports the US GSM bands.

OP
hal83

hal83

Reaction score
well i personally wouldn't ever go with sprint or verizon or att. biggest waste of money.

i'm just saying that if the xprt supports the us gsm bands (thank you for the proper term) then i'd buy it at full retail price without any contracts.

anyway, those improvements i mentioned are VERY important to me. i have been eyeing the droid pro since november but because of its downfalls i've waited for a better portrait qwerty or the mythical droid pro 2. in conclusion if the xprt doesn't have any of those improvements i'll just go with the cheaper droid pro.

Kaos2flo

Reaction score
Switch to a network that has worse coverage just to get the exact same phone? No thanks.

Everything should be essentially the same as the Pro. You'll probably have to wait until someone actually gets the phone to see if it's unlocked and if it supports the US GSM bands.

I second that. It doesn't even have Gingerbread...

OP
hal83

hal83

Reaction score
uh, yes it does have gingerbread.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
uh, yes it does have gingerbread.

According to Motorola, it doesn't. It has Froyo:

Android Smartphone - Motorola XPRT - Tech Specs - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

All of the press releases and user manuals for the phone also state Froyo. I suppose things could have changed last minute, but if that was the case, I'd think they'd make changes to reflect that.

And the Verizon Droid Pro does have the US GSM bands, but they're locked out from use. My guess would be that since the XPRT is essentially the exact same phone that it wouldn't be any different.

OP
hal83

hal83

Reaction score
oh really. some unofficial sites said it was updated to gingerbread (gadgetian and a few others). anyway if thats the case i'll stick with the droid pro.

cheech4

Reaction score

I do agree Verizon has the most coverage. but it also depends on where you live, up here in the Northeast tristate area all the major carrier have great coverage. i will take Sprint over any other carrier including Verizon for coverage. And saving an average of 20-30 dollars on comparable plans a month for the same phone to me is a no brainer. But like i said it all depends on where you live.

cheech4

Reaction score
News has it that the droid pro will get Gingerbread, so my guess is if the pro gets it then the xprt will as well.

tennvol

Reaction score
News has it that the droid pro will get Gingerbread, so my guess is if the pro gets it then the xprt will as well.

Pro already has GB rolling out slowly.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

Astaroth

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure GB is not rolling out to Pro. That was misreported by Engadget, all that happened is that the Pro GB final build leaked. When the official update starts rolling out, the "Benefits of Software Upgrade" PDF on this page will change:

Software Update: Droid Pro by Motorola

Right now the PDF talks about the last major update that rolled out several months ago. The corresponding document for other phones that have recently received GB has changed to reflect that. The Pro GB update is not yet official.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm pretty sure GB is not rolling out to Pro. That was misreported by Engadget, all that happened is that the Pro GB final build leaked. When the official update starts rolling out, the "Benefits of Software Upgrade" PDF on this page will change:

Software Update: Droid Pro by Motorola

Right now the PDF talks about the last major update that rolled out several months ago. The corresponding document for other phones that have recently received GB has changed to reflect that. The Pro GB update is not yet official.

If the Gingerbread update only leaked, then it leaked over the course of a week through the Verizon/Motorola OTA update system to several users.

Somehow I don't see that as an accident, especially given the length of time that people reported receiving it through system update on their phone. More of a test run. It's happened like that before without any sort of an announcement.

It's not currently being pushed out though.

Last edited:

Astaroth

Reaction score
If it ever really did push out OTA to Pros (which I haven't seen anyone say happened to them, only people saying "it has happened to people"), then they backed out for whatever reason, which suggests to me that the build that leaked is probably unstable or insecure in some way. Anyway, they need to get on with it and release it officially, all the other Droids have gotten it.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
If it ever really did push out OTA to Pros (which I haven't seen anyone say happened to them, only people saying "it has happened to people"), then they backed out for whatever reason, which suggests to me that the build that leaked is probably unstable or insecure in some way. Anyway, they need to get on with it and release it officially, all the other Droids have gotten it.

Well here you go - it happened to me. I got the notification about 5 days after reports started popping up that some people had received it. And it happened to several people around here who have directly stated the same. The fact that I received it a few days later says to me that it didn't accidentally get pushed out. If that had been the case, they would have stopped the updates sooner than they did.

And it doesn't seem like they backed out of it, but rather intended to just release it to a few people to see how things went. Like you said, they typically do an announcement of some sort when it's rolling out in force to everyone. Since there wasn't an announcement, it doesn't seem like they intended to release it to everyone.