Motorola Xoom and Motorola Atrix Smartphone Win Best of CES Awards

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola-Xoom.jpg

The Android 3.0/Honeycomb powered Motorola Xoom got top honors at CES last week, catching the coveted "Best Gadget of CES" award. It also won the "Best Tablet of CES" award. Motorola wasn't finished there, however. they also won in the "Best Smartphone of CES" category with their, also Android Powered, Atrix 4G Smartphone. The tech news website Cnet, which had editors pick the winners, is how The official CES awards were chosen.

Motorola Mobility chief software engineer Seang Chau had this to say regarding their victory, "We took big risks and they paid off. We didn't know if people would get it; but obviously they got it." Also, Motorola Mobility device team head Alain Mutricy had this to say, "This is really the next generation of tablets," as he held a Xoom in one hand at the awards ceremony, "Our partnership with Google has been very intense and has enabled some great technology."

Great technology indeed! Kudos to Motorola and "Andy'!

Source: Yahoo
by dgstorm

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I gave my iPad to my son so I'm anxious for the release of the Xoom. It looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Any clue about the cost?

Mike

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Until my DroidX can't do the most basic of functions, I'm just not excited about the new phones coming out. The only thing my phone can't do now is play Dungeon Defenders very well. But i have an iPad from my work and I can play it on that fine. Other than that, I'm pretty well set on my DX. As for the tablets coming out, I just don't have a reason for a tablet. My work got me one for whatever reason and I've yet to find any good reasons to use it other than to play games on. What a waste of money.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Up until CES 2011, there wasn't a phone on the market that was worth me retiring my D1. Now it looks like their could possibly be a phone worthy of taking the place of my D1 with the primary factor being the LTE service. Looks like it's time for the DX to be retired as the D1 was when the DX and D2 came out.

UltimateHobby

Reaction score
Its not too far fetched to think that the Bionic will be able to do exactly what the Atrix can do, right? Looks like some hardware mods to the dock and some software adds will be all it needs to be the all-in-one device that took the show by storm.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Also didn't the Atrix have 1 GB RAM? or was that another misprint like early reports of the Bionic having 1 GB RAM.

cb7junkie

Reaction score
Does no one have any interest in the Notion Ink Adam anymore? The only reason the Xoom won best in show is because its running Honeycomb.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I applaud Motorola, though. HTC and Samsung were the only Android phone manufactureres making top-tier Android phones for multiple carriers. Motorola only focused their top-tier phones for Verizon, everybody else got mid-range Android phones.

Motorola is finally making a GSM top-tier phone that'll be for another carrier, I still think the Droid Bionic is going to be a badass mofo.

Jeyman

Reaction score
The Notion Ink was there as well. Just 3.0 looks far to sexy of an upgrade to pass up.

The 3 pan split still rocks, and might be worth looking into depending on your plans. Both are good, but 3.0 seems to take the cake.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
notionInk seems like they're dragging their heels... They've hyped it up so much too early. I'm sure people would've been all over it if they were kind of secret about it until it passed the FCC. It's all a marketing game, and Motorola also has their name behind them, sort of gives them a handicap.

I was originally excited about the NotionInk, but to me it feels like they've been all talk.

joey00

Reaction score
eh u guys hiring?

Until my DroidX can't do the most basic of functions, I'm just not excited about the new phones coming out. The only thing my phone can't do now is play Dungeon Defenders very well. But i have an iPad from my work and I can play it on that fine. Other than that, I'm pretty well set on my DX. As for the tablets coming out, I just don't have a reason for a tablet. My work got me one for whatever reason and I've yet to find any good reasons to use it other than to play games on. What a waste of money.

eh dude can i get a job there too?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ah, dang, that's right. 512 would throw a monkey wrench in those plans.

With HDMI out you can do the same basic thing with any new handset and a wireless keyboard. Main difference is you won't be running actual Firefox but the mobile version with user agent set to computer. That, and you probably can't use Office, although seeing as how the Atrix would need to run that from an enterprise server that fact is irrelevant to 99% of users.

The Atrix is showing the potential and the future, but like any new tech it's a shadow of what it will be in just a year, maybe sooner. I think the IPhone 5 is likely to have similar capability, or at least I put the odds of that considerably higher than it having dual core or LTE.

The Atrix could be a decent hit for gamers, especially if they follow with a tablet dock. Question is, if you build it, do they (meaning game developers) come? Because the issue is, right now, the installed base for the Atrix is 0.

cb7junkie

Reaction score
Well, if I get a tablet it will be the Adam. Unless the company goes under. Lol. Their Eden UI is amazing and runs very very well with Android.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea I'm digging the Notion Ink too. I think Honeycomb just put the Xoom above the others. Its nice too, but Honeycomb....nice.