Motorola Unlocking Bootloaders

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
maybe, but i dout in the lifetime that i will have the phone. 1-2 more years lol

wseyller

Reaction score
Hope so because i want a fully functional Jelly Bean but i will believe it when i see it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't get excited. Verizon probably won't allow it. The photon is an At&t phone.

Edit: its actually Sprint but I think the logic still applies.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
OMFG, i just got big smiles and i mean big smiles, even tho its on the Q just the thought of them actually unlocking it and actually posting it for public is big news. I thank the google part is taking over now. Where the heck is my unlocked Moto Nexus rolling a nice big HD screen with intel inside???? Lol this was the only reason id consider leaving Moto but now theres hope.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

wseyller

Reaction score
Don't get excited. Verizon probably won't allow it. The photon is an At&t phone.

I really dont have much faith in vzw or moto. But i guess we will have to wait and see. Though the whole idea of vzw being the reason of keeping a bootloader locked down doesnt make sense to me. Why are other phones from other manufacturers sold at verizon unlocked or given the ability to be unlocked.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
syndicate0017 said:

The way they worded it kinda makes me thank it wont matter what carrier and I know the Photon is on Sprint but I have faith, gotta remember Google is running it now.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6

They could do what HTC does. Verizon doesn't seem to have a problem with that.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Yeah thats what the article said, thats what I got from it.

wseyller

Reaction score
The way they worded it kinda makes me thank it wont matter what carrier and I know the Photon is on Sprint but I have faith, gotta remember Google is running it now.

Yeah it is probably going to be that you go to Moto website and you get a tool to unlock. Verizon will have no hand in it. But they may id our phone in their records once we unlock it which will likely void any warranty. This way vzw and moto washes their hands from any problems whether or not caused from the bootloader unlock. Either way I'm in.

I am kinda wonder if the Google acquisition of Moto Mobility is really the reason for all of this starting with the new Photon. Hmm. Makes sense to me.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
But why would Verizon explicitly demand the S3 be locked if they had intentions of allowing Moto to unencrypt the bootloader? Really doesn't make sense.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
But why would Verizon explicitly demand the S3 be locked if they had intentions of allowing Moto to unencrypt the bootloader? Really doesn't make sense.

We're talking about VZW, here. Do they ever make sense?

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
syndicate0017 said:

Maybe the same reason ATT demanded the One X to be locked. Even tho VZW demanded it there's still a developer version you can buy through Samsung for VZWs network. And what u pointed out really doesn't mean anything. Cause even tho the S3 is locked and other Motos there's still other ones on their network that is unlocked. And this whole thing with Moto locking phones cause VZW wants them to is a BIG rumor cause no Moto is unlocked on any carrier, I thank that was a Moto thing, not VZW.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
So i was on wiki just reading up on moto and they had something added i thought id share.

Copied from wiki:

Bootloader controversy

This section does not cite any references or sources. (April 2012)
In 2011, after a sizeable backlash from consumers, Motorola promised to have a bootloader unlock tool by the second half of 2011. After failing to do so, an uproar was again heard from the Android community. The term Operation: Make Ourselves Heard (#OPMOSH) was coined to identify the movement. An online petition was started and Motorolas Facebook page was inundated with posts demanding them to keep their word. Complaints to the FCC followed as the regulatory requirement for Block C devices states "Consumers should be able to download and utilize any software applications, content, or services they desire".

I never knew this existed so maybe whats happening now is because of this and them keeping their promise???