Motorola says Carriers Do Not Want Stock Android Phones

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
motoz.jpeg

To bloat or not to bloat, that is the question. According to Motorola Mobility's CEO Sanjay Jha it's the carriers that want the manufactures UI's not necessarily the manufacturers. Jha said that “Verizon and AT&T don’t want seven stock ICS devices on their shelves,” because there needs to be differentiation in the market in order to turn profit. He also goes on to say that the majority of the changes Motorola makes to the OS are at the behest of the carriers.

At the heart of the matter is that the carriers need to compete and the way to stay competitive is through price and features. The Android community see's bloat, the carriers see features. Choice is good in the market place and with a pure Google Experience phone, aka Samsung Galaxy Nexus, being released across most of the major carriers it's good to see the carriers trying to keep all of their customers happy.

If only Motorola would comment on their bootloaders now...........

Via: ZdNet

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it is in the best financial interest of the OEM's and carriers to have skins. They both profit off of it big time, why would they want stock Android?

theascended

Reaction score
I'll accept that reasoning... but if that is the case it should be dead simple for them to provide a supported stock ROM that customers can have installed or install themselves.

soops

Reaction score
Yea Right

BS..

Moto can solve this by unlocking the bootloaders...or at the minimum phone users have the ability to remove skins.

Win-win. Problem solved, those people could remain to use the skin (if they choose), or have it remove to make it stock.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
OK... How about this...

You have a vanilla AND skinned version available for each phone.

OR... How about skins that are REMOVABLE!

Whatever. F-off Moto. I haven't purchased your bloated phones for a while now anyway.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah I actually do think carriers do like the sense, touchwiz, and blur because if you had 7 phones that looked the same people would be like "its all the same thing". With that said themers can theme roms with out adding bloat and social stuff to load down the hardware so why cant oems. And this still do not cause for locking down the bootloader. If you have a business device designed to compete with the blackberry then I can see adding encryption as a feature. But all the other oems are offering bootloader unlocked programs why hasnt motorola. And didnt motorola promise at the end of last year to provide a solution. Every one else has offered a solution but motorola. And the fact that motorola is saying carriers dont want the devices to have an unlocking feature. Well vzw allowed the Nexus, tbolt, Rezound, charge, ....shall we continue. I love the industrial feel and quality of the motorola build. But I do not like the loaded down ui with a locked bootloader. People asks "whats the difference the only thing different is you can change the kernel". Well the other important difference is how much easier it is to recover your device and return it to stock. Some people love motorola and the locked bootloader does not bother them and others hate it. This is why we now have a choice. When you go to vzw you get to look at all the phones and then make a decision with your wallet. I chose unlocked. ... I also chose buggy 4g (growing pains) :frown:.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think that these statements from Jha and the comments from AT&T and Verizon are a crock of poo. For one thing, I find it suspect that Jha's statements are even that accurate. It sounds to me like he is simply "passing the buck". And, even if what he is saying is true, then AT&T and Verizon's argument is plain stupid. He claims they said,
Verizon and AT&T don’t want seven stock ICS devices on their shelves,” because there needs to be differentiation in the market in order to turn profit.
If that is true, then why do they slobber all over themselves to get the iPhone, which has zero differentiation at all? Having a bunch of different Androids on the shelf with the same OS would not affect profits in the least. It would only make the choices for consumers easier, which is always good for more sales.

gmorgan056

Reaction score
Doubt at this point that they'll comment on the bootloaders. #OPMOSH has been spamming their Facebook page and Twitter for two weeks. Though the petition is almost at 5000 signatures, so maybe if it get's high enough they will.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Doubt at this point that they'll comment on the bootloaders. #OPMOSH has been spamming their Facebook page and Twitter for two weeks. Though the petition is almost at 5000 signatures, so maybe if it get's high enough they will.

Yeah they will comment just like last time when they said they would offer a solution. Problem is every one else offered a solution and moto just blamed the carriers. But hey it is what it is.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
According to a user over at XDA:

More complicated than that.

Verizon says they can unlock the bootloader, but there will be penalties if they do that.

Moto actually has control, they just haven't allowed it because of financial reasons.

Verizon will pull all advertising funds, based on contractual obligations that they have.

Because of the state of Moto's books, they can't afford that loss.

So it's Moto's choice....sort of. Verizon states they require it, but really they don't fully control that, the manufacturers have most of the power.

I'm not saying it's fact/truth, I'm just passing on the info :)

mendy817

Reaction score
i don't buy that argument... when i walk into best buy i don't see 10 different computers by 10 different manufacturers all running a different "skin" over windows, do i? no, win7 is win7 whether its on dell, toshiba, asus, samsung, etc

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Fine by me, go ahead and skin the crap out of the phones as long as there is a Nexus somewhere in the mix!